Fulham on Saturday

Comments

• Deanscale on Sky Parker said under the rules it was a definite sending off.
  • Still don't get why Moyes doesn't utilise Lanzini, he and Benrahma had some great link up against Doncaster.

The subs were generally strange.

I get why he decided to bring Nobes on, but he was always gonna struggle with the intensity of Fulham‘s play. Think he lost the ball 3/4 times. I would have rather brought on Odubeko for Antonio, but he was not included.

I think what we can assume is that Benrahma, Antonio, Fornals, Bowen & Lanzini are all going to be used in midweek, hence two not coming on & 3 going off early. Maybe Moyes’ is taking that game more seriously than I thought.

One thing with the red, why did Dean then not give Fulham a free-kick? It’s a foul if it’s deemed violent conduct. Yet we could’ve still won that game from the free-kick.

Then Scotty doesn’t know the rules.

There is no ‘unintentional elbow’ law. It’s either, brutality or excessive force and/or intentional.
  • edited February 2021
    Lukerz he couldn’t give Fulham a free kick because the “offence” occurred when we were waiting to take our own free kick.
    I just hope we appeal because Moyes was in such a mood last night he seemed to suggest it would be a waste of time. Let’s hope he’s calmed down today and the appeal goes in first thing tomorrow.
  • Claret & Hugh say we notified the FA our intention to appeal last night.
  • Me personally didn’t get the noble choice was like settling for a 0-0 and not pushing on to try win it because it wasn’t like we were being carved open by them, and noble went more up top where lanzini would have been the better option but all about opinions
  • Cuz1 said:

Me personally didn’t get the noble choice was like settling for a 0-0 and not pushing on to try win it because it wasn’t like we were being carved open by them, and noble went more up top where lanzini would have been the better option but all about opinions

Yeah I agree. I think Moyes wanted to try and get more control on the game but in hindsight he offered nothing after coming on.
  • I can see the logic behind bring on Noble

We were beginning to lose the midfield battle, Noble in theory should've offered us more protection and allow Soucek to move into the final 3rd

But it backfired

Think Bowen was really poor yesterday, imo he was easily the weakest of the attacking midfielders so him for Yarmolenko seemed logical

Do think Moyes had one eye on the cup, a point here wasn't an awful result

I thought he said it was harsh and then did the typical flowery Parker rhetoric talking about the game becoming sterile.
  • I know it’s only the SUN but whistleblower Mark Halsey says the decision was farcical, he said the ref was looking at the incident directly and if you see violent conduct you pull out a red, he goes on to say it took dean and var 3 minutes to come to a decision so was it really a clear cut error, it was nonsense
  • OCS he said it was harsh but according to the rules it was a red. Thing is it wasn’t.
  • What is good is that the general tone on the forum, me included, is one usually reserved for a defeat. We came away with a point, and that is important and it goes to show the level of expectation we have at the moment.
  • Watching the rugby at the moment and Dean should be made to watch and see what is really an elbow to the head. Irish player red carded.
  • Anyone else notice that Antonio seems to be holding himself back since his return .Hardly ever seemed to go flat out yesterday.Did he feel something or has this hamstring thing perhaps got into his head
  • Chris Foy also says it’s not a red. He said VAR and Dean at the monitor have just concentrated on looking at the elbow contact on the face but not the whole picture.
  • I would'nt mind but obviously none of these ex refs ever made a mistake. I expect in years to come Dean will be asked about red card incidents and respond by saying the ref got it wrong.
  • I'd love for a few ex-pros to give refereeing a go. Would be interesting to see if there was any improvement in performances.

Anyone who has played football at any level knows that what happened yesterday was accidental. I can't imagine an ex-pro seeing that even once, let alone the number of times Dean saw it, and giving a red (except Chris Sutton, it seems, who has backed the decision)
  • Aaah! Chris Sutton. Just loves to go against trend to get the attention.
  • Well, didn't Parker say it was a red?
  • I'd love for a few ex-pros to give refereeing a go. Would be interesting to see if there was any improvement in performances.

Anyone who has played football at any level knows that what happened yesterday was accidental. I can't imagine an ex-pro seeing that even once, let alone the number of times Dean saw it, and giving a red (except Chris Sutton, it seems, who has backed the decision)

There have been plenty of calls for ex-pros to be included in the VAR process, but nothing has been done so far.
  • edited February 2021
    I don't want unqualified people reffing.

If the refs aren't good enough, train them better or get new refs. Don't give it to amateurs.

Just because there is pretty much consensus about yesterday's red card, do not forget how many times you (we) are outraged by ex-players now working as pundits who say something is or isn't a red .. a penalty... etc.

Their experience as past players doesn't make them any more equipped than you r me to have their opinion take precedence.

It's not that many games ago that we had CURRENT players saying they didn't know all the rules.

We need MORE experts, not fewer, imo.

Considering the stuff they say as pundits I’m not sure I want them involved in anything else.
  • What I meant is for ex-pros to become qualified refs. So they have everything the current crop do, but with actual experience of what happens in the game. I think it was Andy Grey that said refs know the laws of the game, but nothing of the game itself, and I can see what he's getting at.

I just think it would be interesting to see what effect, if any, it would have on the quality of refereeing.
  • I imagine they don't go into reffing after retirement because it is hard work for little reward.
  • MrsGrey said:

I imagine they don't go into reffing after retirement because it is hard work for little reward.

And for that true comment it’s the old saying pay peanuts you get monkeys really
  • edited February 2021
    In the Prem £38-42k annual retainer plus £1150 per game. So a max of around £70k plus additional cup, euro and International fees for the very top.
  • I recall being asked to run the line a couple of times back in the day, I swore never again
  • IronHerb said:

In the Prem £38-42k annual retainer plus £1150 per game. So a max of around £70k plus additional cup, euro and International fees for the very top.

I didn’t realise they were payed so well assume they get travel expenses too
  • I think also VAR isn't run independently. By that I mean the people operating it are on the field one week and then the next week they are at SP. Also unlike in Rugby or Cricket, they only use one angle of an incident instead of different angles or the best angle.