Sheffield United (A) 22/11 - Match Thread

It’s has to be.. doesn’t it..

THE RAVEL MORRISON DERBY 😎

Comments

• Interesting to see the extent of Ogbonnas injury, he's been such a huge player for us recently

Good that we do have Diop waiting in the wings, he's an able replacement

I actually think Moyes will start Fornals/Bowen again, but personally I saw enough that Benrahma should start, was very bright in his cameo and this will be another tight game...although he's more likely to make an impact off the bench than Fornals would
  • The Wayne Quinn Derby
  • If Antonio misses out again, I'd be tempted to go 3-5-2 and give Haller a partner up front. We were pretty blunt last night so I think Moyes needs to give Haller as much help as possible:

Fab
    Balbuena Ogbonna/Diop Cresswell
    Coufal Rice Fornals Soucek Masuaku
    Haller Benrahma

Not a massive change, but having a third CM would allow the wing backs to push on a bit more and hopefully they'll use the international break to work on their crossing. Let Benrahma play close to Haller and see if that brings out the best in the Ivorian lamppost.

The fact that Sheffield United are winless makes me nervous; historically we've been very generous to teams on bad runs, but there's nothing in that team that should worry us too much.
  • edited November 2020

The fact that Sheffield United are winless makes me nervous; historically we've been very generous to teams on bad runs, but there's nothing in that team that should worry us too much.

It isn't always what the other team does that undoes us, it's usually us taking off a toe or two of our own with the six shooter =)
  • The Carlos Tevez derby ?
  • The Sue derby?
  • Come on folks, it's a long time since 2007, and I for one couldn't Carlos for the Tevez affair anymore.

Coat please.
  • Expat, joking aside, the Blunts behaviour should never be forgotten, nor ever be forgiven.

>:)
  • edited November 2020
    BND - it was meant in jest
  • Our game with them last season had those two infamous moments...

Martin passing the ball out the back to a Sheffield United player for their goal.....

Snodgrass equalising goal being ruled out due to a Rice handball.....

Would love to smash these!!
  • Shame we have the international break...now would be a great time to play them, now they have 2 weeks to try sort things out
  • On the other hand - an extra period of time for Antonio to edge towards recovery
  • I'd be happy with a point. Liverpool game aside we're on a great run and it would be great to keep it going. I'm actually looking who's above us in the table, rather than who's below us and likely to catch up.
  • It’s has to be.. doesn’t it..

THE RAVEL MORRISON DERBY 😎

I’m not even going to try to come up with a different one, you already nailed it
  • In his honour we need to deploy the false 9
  • We already do 😂😂
  • edited November 2020
    Cheeky 🍑
  • We seem to be getting overrun through the middle now the wings have been tightened up. Wouldn't be against seeing midfield 3 again
  • Quite liked Balbuena doing a Kyle Walker against Fulham in the last 10 mins. Should do that a lot more
  • Antonio and Oggy back in training although Ex and C&H both reckon Antonio will be on the bench next week.
  • Don't want to risk Antonio

Think Haller was better against Fulham, and his goal for ivory coast has probably given him a bit of a morale boost

Deserves another chance, but also allows us to unleash Michail in the final 15 if we need a goal
  • This game will be a tough one despite the position they are in, we will still have to give our best to get anything out of this game
  • edited November 2020
    Side we started at their place last year:

Fabianski
    Balbuena - Ogbonna - Cresswell
    Zabaleta - Noble - Rice - Masuaku
    Lanzini - Haller - Anderson

So likely to be four notable changes to that side (Coufal, Soucek, Bowen, Fornals) & all those changes are positive ones & improve last seasons side dramatically.

Last years game was a nailed on 0-0, decided by a mistake by Martin who came on for Fabianski early on.

This is a game where we are going to need to go into it with the mindset ‘we must not let a goal in’. If we do that, I think we could edge it. If they get 1-0 ahead, it’s going to be very hard for us to get back into it, given their desperation for points & organisation. We must come away from here with at least a 0-0, which would be a point better on last season. We are not going to knock in 3 or 4 goals, that never happens at their place, this will be a maximum 3 goal game, so just whether we have the ability to edge it 0-1 or 1-2.

I think I would be tempted to start Benrahma instead of Haller. Their back 3 are going to dominate him. Benrahma I would play as the middle striker but ask him to drop deeper making an upside down triangle with Bowen and Fornals. Moyes needs to find a way to break this side down, because they are 10 times more organised than Fulham & we all know how that was a struggle.

Without Antonio, a point would not be a bad result given how much they need a win.
  • I think we go there and try to win it. They are bottom and nervous. They are not as good as last season because they are exactly the same and have been sussed. They struggle to score so we should go out to find the first goal.
    2-0 win to the Hammers.

COYI

• Saw this today 👍🏻
  • Excellent. Although I'm not wholly convinced by this XG thing.
  • I am only convinced by it when it has something positive to say about us.

Just like I only think a pundit knows what they’re talking about when they say West Ham are completely great.
  • Which pundit said West ham are great .Sure that would have made the headlines even here in Canada =)
  • MrsGrey said:

Excellent. Although I'm not wholly convinced by this XG thing.

I really like XG, but I also find it confusing about how they work it out. I trust the boffins, and I love a stat so I’ll support it.