The January Transfer Window

Comments

• Why is that Lukerz? The squad is fit, probably the fittest squad we've had.
  • He has done it for most the first 20
  • I don't think its any coincidence that since Moyes has come in that we've looked fitter than ever and am picking up fewer injuries

Don't see why they are all of a sudden going to drop off like flies, Liverpool won the league and got to the latter stages of the champions league the last two seasons basically using 14 players
  • Liverpool also went a very long time without injuries, using a select group of players. This season they’re struggling. It’s nothing against Moyes to say it’s going to be a challenge to keep this going, despite how well he’s done with fitness so far, especially with the intensity of the current schedule.
  • I think the greater risk is any of our key players testing positive.
  • edited January 2021
    Fabianski
    Coufal - Dawson - Ogbonna - Cresswell
    Bowen - Soucek - Rice - Fornals
    Benrahma
    Antonio

Randolph
    Fredericks - Balbuena - Diop - Johnson
    Yarmolenko - Noble - Fornals - Lanzini
    Lingard
    Odubeko

At the moment, that’s our two 11’s, with Masuaku to return at some point before Easter.
  • Well let’s hope the first one stays safe and well then
  • But we be ok fornals gets in both
  • I guess we will still have Anderson returning in the summer. Forgotten about him.
  • I think too much is made of the number of games being played as for the most part it works out at two per week. As Bruno Fernandes said earlier in the week “ I don’t need to rest. If I can’t play twice a week at age 26 then by the time I’m 30 I won’t be able to play at all”
  • Gonçalo Cardoso has gone on an 18-month loan to FC Basel. I think we spent £3m on him a few summers ago, but he's never threatened the first team.
  • I think King would be icing on the cake. Not to fussed as Yarma is more than good enough to cover Antonio. Would be good for morale also with everyone getting game time.
  • We will be the highest place club to go for king on deadline day. I’m sure we would have already made all the right noises to the player.

Expect we will go in with a very low offer as the clock ticks. It’s then up to Bournemouth to decide how much that money is worth v keeping him to try and fire them back to the Prem before he leaves in the summer.
  • Bearing in mind Bournemouth are in or around the play off spots, I don't think they'll accept a lowball offer if they think he might contribute to their chances of winning promotion.
  • Gonçalo Cardoso has gone on an 18-month loan to FC Basel. I think we spent £3m on him a few summers ago, but he's never threatened the first team.

I understand Basel have an option to buy him. Another young player whose path into the first team has been blocked by an older hardened pro like Dawson or Balbuena. More coaches these days are not giving youth a try if they can avoid it and very few will blame them as winning is more important.

• Fortune

I do agree, but the fact that Cardoso hasn’t pushed the first team at all suggests to me that it was less about not giving him the chance, and more about him not being ready for one. He’ll hopefully get loads of game time in Switzerland and become a top player.
  • If the last two games haven't shown how badly we need another striker, then nothing will. Antonio missed four very good chances against Palace which thankfully didn't cost us, and tonight he just didn't do enough against a makeshift CB pairing.

Whether it's his form or fitness suffering, he has to play. Which is not a position a PL team should be in.
  • OCS👍

The whole point for me of another striker is not just about cover for Antonio if he gets injured, but about having a different option when things are just not working well on a particular day (eg today). There will even be days when the situation calls for a different striker to start
  • I agree we need someone, but for me today’s game was won and lost in the middle of the park. Rice & Soucek completely overrun by Shaqiri, Thiago, Wijnaldum & Milner. Shows why we need depth in there too, IMO.
  • alderz said:

I agree we need someone, but for me today’s game was won and lost in the middle of the park. Rice & Soucek completely overrun by Shaqiri, Thiago, Wijnaldum & Milner. Shows why we need depth in there too, IMO.

Yep. Hopefully Lingard gives us another option in midfield, but we desperately need another option up front, IMO.
  • Sky website : Moyes says transfer business is done
  • yoyo said:

Sky website : Moyes says transfer business is done

< Sigh >
  • Bit worrying, surely a bluff
  • yoyo, I do hope not.
  • Lukerz said:

Bit worrying, surely a bluff

We're safe from relegation. I fear that's enough for the owners.
  • I think the club have been burned before by saying they’ll be signing x, y or a player and it not coming off. If they said “we’ll be signing a striker” and then we didn’t people would be extra cross imo
  • Yea the noise out the club these days is night and day to what we're used to

I'll be disappointed if we end the window without a striker.... but if the reality is that if we don't have the funds or the right players aren't available to bring one in then I'm fine

Moyes sounds like he has a long term vision which I can get behind, and it starts with improving those already here
  • Did you all know that we are the biggest spenders in the league this window? Signing Benrahma permanently makes us the biggest spenders, and we also spent I think £1.4m on Alves. I wouldn’t be shocked if we didn’t sign anyone else and saw a statement about being the big spenders.
  • I always feared we are one window behind to not sign a striker his bad management imo as we can’t rely on what we already have should the need be
  • Benrahma wasn’t a Jan signing in substance. There was an obligation (not option) to sign him permanently. So whether this was done now or in June is semantics.

Many have said (rightly I guess) to wait till after the closure of the window to pass judgment. I do retain some hope personally.
This discussion has been closed.