The January Transfer Window

Comments

• .......but I’ll be happy to be proved wrong when he scores the FA Cup winner!😀

Lingard has played in both cups so won;t be scoring the winner in the FA cup final
  • I agree IronHerb, but I think that was also due to lack of movement by their forwards. Kane is always looking to make himself available, but the rest were almost in hiding giving no options for the defence/midfield to pass forwards.
  • Lukerz said:

Lukerz said:

Would be happy with King replacing Haller. Arguably much more suited to Moyes-ball.

Lingard for Snodgrass is probably an upgrade, if we're being honest.

But I still feel like we need another strong CM in. I see that Coventry is expected to make his comeback for the U23s tonight so maybe he's that option in the short term, but I don't think he, Noble or Fornals are good enough replacements for SouDec.

Our CM options will be Rice, Soucek, Noble, Fornals & Lingard.
    Yes, but only the last three aren't suitable cover for the first two, which is my point. Rice and Fornals, or Soucek and Noble, or any combination other than Rice and Soucek significantly weakens the team, IMO.
    But that goes for any team who loses their best two midfielders. The hope is you keep them fit and in form, but if they are unavailable, we become weaker. Is that not just life in football?
    I just think that you can't expect Noble, Fornals and Lingard to come in and do what Rice and Soucek do. They're too different. For me it's like Antonio and Haller; yes Haller is a striker and can play up front, but he doesn't do the same job as Antonio because he's a very different player. If we lose one of SouDec then we have no-one capable of playing their roles effectively, IMO.

And I get we'd struggle to get a top class midfielder in knowing they'd probably be on the bench more often than not, but I'm sure there are younger players out there that play the SouDec roles that would prepared to join.
  • I think Fornals could do a job in that position. He is an all over the pitch player with a good engine. As a stop gap he'd do.
  • I think Fornals could adapt well to a DM role, in the style of Kante.
  • I think Fornals could adapt well to a DM role, in the style of Kante.

I would like to see more of Fornals moving into a central role also

• Lingard is a fantastic signing. Very well done Moyes
  • Lingard is a fantastic signing. Very well done Moyes

Has it been announced already?
  • Moyes talking as if that's it for transfers.
  • “He can play in all the positions across the front line” is very much suggesting no actual striker will be coming

Or maybe it is a front to try and prevent being held over a barrel for any late deal for a forward?
  • We’ll get a striker 👍
  • Yeah, Sullivan loves a bit of deadline day drama. Reckon he might be holding something back.
  • He will be frustrated by the current travel embargo from Brazil, that’s for sure
  • edited January 2021

Moyes talking as if that's it for transfers.

He's been talking that way since December. He keeps his mouth shut and doesn't brag about possible transfers he might be working on.

Maybe that doesn't please the news media that love to speculate on rumours but I'm a lot happier with that

Yeah, Sullivan loves a bit of deadline day drama. Reckon he might be holding something back.

I don't think Sullivan is in the driving seat any more, this is pure Moyes
  • Moyes talking as if that's it for transfers.

He's been talking that way since December. He keeps his mouth shut and doesn't brag about possible transfers he might be working on.

Maybe that doesn't please the news media that love to speculate on rumours but I'm a lot happier with that

Yeah, Sullivan loves a bit of deadline day drama. Reckon he might be holding something back.

I don't think Sullivan is in the driving seat any more, this is pure Moyes
    Moyes isn't the one doing the negotiations for the deals. That's all Sullivan. He'll be dragging things out til the end, like we saw with Benrahma in the last window, Bowen the window before that.
  • Moyes isn't the one doing the negotiations for the deals. That's all Sullivan. He'll be dragging things out til the end, like we saw with Benrahma in the last window, Bowen the window before that.

Any evidence to back that theory?
    Anything that this isn't exactly what Moyes wants?
  • The news outlets are saying we are down to one striker option now after having more than you could shake a tree at, we will now to hwang about to see if that one happens but it is looking very unlikely.
  • Moyes isn't the one doing the negotiations for the deals. That's all Sullivan. He'll be dragging things out til the end, like we saw with Benrahma in the last window, Bowen the window before that.

I’m sure he wants him, but I also can’t imagine Moyes has the time to negotiate with other clubs over the finer points of contracts and transfers?

No evidence as such, other than Sullivan, as Chairman and de facto Director of Football of this club, would in all liklihood be responsible for negotiating for players. Moyes may be telling him who he wants, but it'll be Sullivan in charge of the conversations that are being had with other clubs.
  • For sure is Moyes is much better at playing a poker face in the market. Not easy to beat the past approach of publicly committing to a position, then throwing money at any club with a half decent player.
  • Lingard medical completed according to sky announcement soon i imagine.
  • Every time I see someone say the words Yarmalenko and Striker my heart sinks.
  • Is the Lingard signing too late for the Liverpool game? I think somewhere someone mentioned it had to be registered by 12pm today?
  • Id be very surprised if he was in the squad even if he’s able to be tbh. He needs a bit of training with the team to get up to speed.
  • I don't think he can be in the squad. he would have had to be registered by midday today i believe and his medical only completed an hour ago.
  • So expect to see him at some point at Villa Park on Wednesday?
  • Odubeko has two goals and an assist for the U23s tonight. Maybe we're not getting a new striker after all.
  • Watching Reading v Bournemouth. Lucas Joao looks a decent player. I think there's some real talent in that league.
  • Herb: I agree. Snigger snigger.
  • I do hope we are actively looking for a striker. Moyes is going to have to work wonders keeping this side fit for the remaining 18 games.
This discussion has been closed.