The January Transfer Window

Comments

• TalkSPORT report that we will move for Josh King & reports about his wage demands are incorrect.
  • Ex says the squad are excited about Lingard joining as, despite what he can be like on the pitch, he is a humble and quiet guy and very likeable.
  • Getting in King will be a good step. Will have good depth in the forward positions/midfield that we will not need over 75% of our bench being defenders and a goalkeeper.
  • Lingard has posted on instagram that he is "London Bound", #HammerTime, and MC Hammer playing, so it will almost certainly be announced at some point today. Tbh we may well sign him before 12 but not announce til after they choreograph a fun dance routine.
  • I wouldn't be disappointed with King and welcome to Lingard. I hope he revamps his career when he gets his chance and wants to stay, if he performs
  • Would be happy with King replacing Haller. Arguably much more suited to Moyes-ball.

Lingard for Snodgrass is probably an upgrade, if we're being honest.

But I still feel like we need another strong CM in. I see that Coventry is expected to make his comeback for the U23s tonight so maybe he's that option in the short term, but I don't think he, Noble or Fornals are good enough replacements for SouDec.

• Wonder if Liverpool may be tempted to make a cheeky loan offer for Issa Diop or Winston Reid? 🤔
  • Lukerz said:

Wonder if Liverpool may be tempted to make a cheeky loan offer for Issa Diop or Winston Reid? 🤔

Remember the other year when they signed Steven Caulker
  • Am i the only one on here who thinks Lingard is a waste of space UNLESS theres an option to buy
  • I don't completely disagree, but I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world to go out and find a different AM/WG in the summer. It could be that the club want to find someone, but just want to get someone in to bolster numbers now, and will spend the next few months finding a better option?
  • Well spend the next few months looking at options and then start bidding in the last couple of days of the window.
  • edited January 2021
    I just think without an option to buy it’s too expensive. We can’t believe all the numbers quoted, but I reckon he is costing West Ham about £120k per match, if he plays every minute of every game. Moyes probably won’t change a winning team, so he probably won’t. Yes he will add value, but THAT much.

.......but I’ll be happy to be proved wrong when he scores the FA Cup winner!😀
  • edited January 2021
    I think there is too much focus on the 11 being unchangeable.

We are not going to keep up this constant winning streak until May. We will have a bad patch or a spell where form drops off from certain players & they need to know that if that happens, there are other options. Not being funny, but if Bowen struggles for form for a few weeks, he is probably quite confident that Yarmo or Lanzini won’t offer enough to keep him out the side longer term. He’s probably right.

This side will need freshening up at some point. Not to mention the standard injuries or suspensions we will pick up anyway.
  • Would be happy with King replacing Haller. Arguably much more suited to Moyes-ball.

But I still feel like we need another strong CM in. I see that Coventry is expected to make his comeback for the U23s tonight so maybe he's that option in the short term, but I don't think he, Noble or Fornals are good enough replacements for SouDec.

Our CM options will be Rice, Soucek, Noble, Fornals & Lingard.
  • 12:36
    BREAKING NEWS

Manchester United forward Jesse Lingard is in London completing his medical ahead of finalising his loan move to West Ham United.
  • Lingard isn’t a CM at all, in my opinion. Maybe an attacking one, to play in the role Benrahma plays but not cover for Soucek or Rice.
  • He can play in a midfield 3. At the moment, it’s Noble (when we do that system).
  • I just think without an option to buy it’s too expensive. We can’t believe all the numbers quoted, but I reckon he is costing West Ham about £120k per match, if he plays every minute of every game. Moyes probably won’t change a winning team, so he probably won’t. Yes he will add value, but THAT much.

It's not that different to the Benrahma signing though. If it's true that we've paid £26m (I've seen reports say £30m, but who knows), and if it's true that he's on around 40k per week, then his 65 month contract will cost us approximately £573k per month - or £3.44m for the next six months.

If it's true that we're paying a £1m loan for Lingard, and a weekly wage of £120k (personally I can't imaging we'd be paying them all, but who knows), then it comes to approximately £687k per month, or £4.12m for the next six months.

Yes, that is an eyewatering amount of money, but it isn't drastically different to other signings, IMO.
  • alderz said:

I just think without an option to buy it’s too expensive. We can’t believe all the numbers quoted, but I reckon he is costing West Ham about £120k per match, if he plays every minute of every game. Moyes probably won’t change a winning team, so he probably won’t. Yes he will add value, but THAT much.

It's not that different to the Benrahma signing though. If it's true that we've paid £26m (I've seen reports say £30m, but who knows), and if it's true that he's on around 40k per week, then his 65 month contract will cost us approximately £573k per month - or £3.44m for the next six months.

If it's true that we're paying a £1m loan for Lingard, and a weekly wage of £120k (personally I can't imaging we'd be paying them all, but who knows), then it comes to approximately £687k per month, or £4.12m for the next six months.

Yes, that is an eyewatering amount of money, but it isn't drastically different to other signings, IMO.
    If Lingard plays often and well, it’ll look like a fine deal. It’s looks expensive because it’s hard to see where he fits in right now
  • Lukerz said:

Would be happy with King replacing Haller. Arguably much more suited to Moyes-ball.

Yes, but only the last three aren't suitable cover for the first two, which is my point. Rice and Fornals, or Soucek and Noble, or any combination other than Rice and Soucek significantly weakens the team, IMO.
  • Lukerz said:

Would be happy with King replacing Haller. Arguably much more suited to Moyes-ball.

I don't think we can count Lingard & Fornals as CM options when we are super light in their other positions? If Yarmo is now a striker and Lingard is CM then we only have Bowen as a RW? I know it's not as easy as that but still.

That said, he was really good for England in a three before. in 2018 with the 3-5-2 formation I think he really thrived with Henderson sitting and Alli running with him.
  • Lukerz said:

Yes, but only the last three aren't suitable cover for the first two, which is my point. Rice and Fornals, or Soucek and Noble, or any combination other than Rice and Soucek significantly weakens the team, IMO.
    But that goes for any team who loses their best two midfielders. The hope is you keep them fit and in form, but if they are unavailable, we become weaker. Is that not just life in football?
  • Lingard was excellent in a three for England and can play there. It may not be his natural position, but he can play there.
  • Tbh, the total cost of his loan is going to be worth one, or at most two, league positions. Given how tight the league is this year, and how ridiculously thin our squad is, I haven't got a problem with him if he's a player Moyes wants until the summer; his cost could easily be paid for by helping us see out a game after Bowen's legs have gone.
  • Fornals & Lingard become options in a 3. So say we lose Soucek to suspension, you bring in Lingard and Fornals to support Rice as a midfield 3 and adjust the rest of the side accordingly.
  • Don't think we are in a position to invest £10+mil on a back up for Rice/Soucek who, unless one gets injured, probably won't play (as we will don't need to play 3 holding CM)

Now we could go cheaper, but we're more likely to end up with someone on Nobles level or god forbid a Carlos Sanchez

No Lingard isn't a natural CM, but he can and has played there a lot

He covers pretty much every position, and while £3mil is an expensive loan....its cheaper than spending an 8 figure sum as a panic buy when we can address in the summer

I wouldn't pick Lingard personally, but a lot of people were up in arms about Dawson and it appears that (once again) Moyes knows what he's doing

A lot of people wrote off Dawson, and I think I remember a lot of people doing the same to Stones when we were linked with him this summer for £20mil and now he is the best CB in the league

Trust in Moyes
  • alderz said:

Just to be clear, my numbers included t.he loan fee. His salary is alleged to be £75k per week😀

• Hopefully our lovely owners had a light bulb moment last night when Kane did his ankle (s). He is irreplaceable at Spurs as is Antonio for us...........
  • alderz said:

Just to be clear, my numbers included t.he loan fee. His salary is alleged to be £75k per week😀

If that £75k figure is true for Lingard, then a 5 month loan deal would be approx £2.625m
  • Spurs will miss Kane for his midfield work more than up top. They created very little in the second half with him off the pitch.
This discussion has been closed.