The January Transfer Window

Comments

• I see we are after a Slavia Prague striker now.
  • Tried to work out whether this Slavia Prague striker Abdallah Sima would qualify under the post-Brexit rules and think he just about does. It's a bit tight because he hasn't been called up for Senegal yet but being under-21 and playing in the Europa League means I think he just about makes up the points.
  • edited December 2020

Tried to work out whether this Slavia Prague striker Abdallah Sima would qualify under the post-Brexit rules and think he just about does. It's a bit tight because he hasn't been called up for Senegal yet but being under-21 and playing in the Europa League means I think he just about makes up the points.

I be surprised if he does.

He's played 8 games for Slavia Prague in the Czech top flight and 6 in the Europa League.

Before that he played 6 games with Slavia B in the third tier, before that he had a short time with FC MAS Taborsko in the second tier but up until March this year he was playing for the French equivalent of a Conference U19s side.
  • Haller's record at Eintracht Frankfurt is evidence that he can play and he's best with a strike partner, the problem is that in Moyes's system there's no room for a second striker (plus at the moment we don't have anyone good enough to play alongside him)

Timo Werner seems to be having a similar problem, at Leipzig he mostly played as one of a front two but at Chelsea he's either playing as a lone striker or on the left and clearly he's not completely comfortable the change.

Square pegs in round holes

While I see what you say, you could argue that if he was good enough he’d be able to adapt... Just looking at another angle ⚒
    Jay, I was thinking similar. These guys are supposed to be professionals, capable of playing at the elite level. While I get that he might be more effective in certain setups, surely he must be more than capable of still doing his job.
  • edited December 2020
    I think Haller is getting a bit of a free pass with this ‘not playing to his strengths’ argument.

He is simply not doing enough. How many times does he run offside, despite not being an ‘on the shoulder’ forward? His mentality at the moment is not good enough, which is reflected in his play.
  • When I played up front in my career we used to train on the home pitch next to it was a flowerbed, when crosses were put in for us to head in we had a couple of players who wearnt good at crosses, so I used to stand in the flowerbed and say cross to me here you’ve hit the flowerbed that often be easier, I get hallers attitude, his movement is quite good but the delivery might as well be in the flowerbed, people seem to forget he isn’t an Antonio who makes things happen, he’s been alone apart from one game when Bowen was his partner and yet some still slate him, easy to make a scapegoat out of him imo
  • Lukerz said:

How many times does he run offside, despite not being an ‘on the shoulder’ forward?

Probably less than Antonio.
  • edited December 2020
    IronHerb said:

Lukerz said:

How many times does he run offside, despite not being an ‘on the shoulder’ forward?

Probably less than Antonio.
    But that’s my point; that’s Antonio’s game. He’s a quick forward who tries to get in behind.

Haller has no excuse.
  • edited December 2020

Tried to work out whether this Slavia Prague striker Abdallah Sima would qualify under the post-Brexit rules and think he just about does. It's a bit tight because he hasn't been called up for Senegal yet but being under-21 and playing in the Europa League means I think he just about makes up the points.

I be surprised if he does.

He's played 8 games for Slavia Prague in the Czech top flight and 6 in the Europa League.

Before that he played 6 games with Slavia B in the third tier, before that he had a short time with FC MAS Taborsko in the second tier but up until March this year he was playing for the French equivalent of a Conference U19s side.
    The rules are here https://www.thefa.com/news/2020/dec/01/gbe-points-based-system-launched-011220

Points are assigned from a percentage of games they are available for. Apart from having to have played a 1% of minutes, I haven't seen anything about a minimum number of games (but I might have missed that) and there are exceptions for young players. He's played a lot of Europa League minutes and they qualified for the next round, so I think that counts in his favour a lot.
  • I’ve taken it easier on Haller than most, but he is starting to frustrate.

Agreed with Lukerz on the offside thing - he has no chance of running in behind and scoring like that, so being offside is really poor.

It’s also incredible how few headers he wins from goal kicks, clearances and throw-ins. Sometimes he barely even challenges.

I can forgive his confidence being low and things not coming off, but some of his play at the moment seems to show a complete lack of desire.

• It’s also incredible how few headers he wins from goal kicks, clearances and throw-ins. Sometimes he barely even challenges.

Not jumping for these is what's irritating me.

I kind of understand not chasing defenders when you're obviously too slow to do it effectively and don't have others doing it in a coordinated way and I can see why he might not want to knock down a high ball for no one to run onto it, but I don't understand not challenging. Sometimes it's clear he could win and control by jumping but he doesn't seem to react at all.
  • edited December 2020

The rules are here https://www.thefa.com/news/2020/dec/01/gbe-points-based-system-launched-011220

Points are assigned from a percentage of games they are available for. Apart from having to have played a 1% of minutes, I haven't seen anything about a minimum number of games (but I might have missed that) and there are exceptions for young players. He's played a lot of Europa League minutes and they qualified for the next round, so I think that counts in his favour a lot.

As it says

"The GBE will operate a points-based system, where points are scored for senior and talented young players based on:
    • Senior and youth international appearances
    • Quality of the selling club, based on the league they are in, league position and progression in continental competition
    • Club appearances, based on domestic league and continental competition minutes"

So nothing for internationals, no idea how high the Fortuna League is ranked but Slavia Prague are currently top and ranked 40th in Europe (Plzen 46th, Sparta Prague 92nd). Since his first team debut 94 days ago he's played 74% of the total minutes he was available, 68% in the Europa League.

Also he appears to be playing as a RW rather than a CF

Maybe we'd be wise to wait until the end of the season to see how he does
  • IronHerb said:

Captain Mark Noble says he does not know where 20-year-old West Ham team-mate Declan Rice's future lies. (Talksport)

Then why say anything? It just adds to the uncertainty.
    If he’s asked a question in an interview he can’t really say nothing though. He stayed as out of it as he could with that answer, IMO.
  • I bet a few managers could get Haller to play. Lets remember he isn’t the first striker DM has adversely affected at West Ham.
  • edited December 2020
    Haller debate, I just can't work him out. There's a good player in there somewhere but he just doesn't seem bothered.
  • I bet a few managers could get Haller to play. Lets remember he isn’t the first striker DM has adversely affected at West Ham.

Who are the others?

I’d say he’s done pretty well with Arnie and Antonio, too.
  • I don’t get the praise moyes gets for Antonio I really don’t
  • Cuz, out of curiosity, who would you like to see as manager?
  • It’s simple instead of continually criticism him he needs to put an arm around his shoulders and get him playing like an old school manager (Fergie with Cantona or the way Harry did on occasions). Credit him with getting Arnautovic to play but as a few on here have said DM can’t be bothered with Haller, wants him gone and the player knows it so he isn’t trying. A bit of a win/lose situation where Moyes gets his wish.
  • Out of those out there I’d go with a younger manager with redknapp as mentor somebody like Nolan, I’ve nothing against moyes but seems he gets a lot of praise from things he hasn’t done, living in Nottingham I remember Antonio doing the same things back then and for Bilic and pellagrini too but it’s all Moyes as done that’s all, so who would you like ?
  • Fortune:
    as a few on here have said DM can’t be bothered with Haller, wants him gone and the player knows it so he isn’t trying

You know that for a fact or is it just the opinion of others?
  • All I’d say to those that don’t like hallers attitude or style who is that down to change his or the manager who picks him then ?
  • The manager has no alternatives but to pick him. We have no other centre forwards.
  • I’m sure it won’t have escaped Sully’s attention that Diego Costa has ended his Atletico contract early and is therefore available for free
  • Well there’s yarma
  • And of course moyes would of known his style of play and Antonio’s injury record so where does the blame lay on instead of benrahma maybe an out and out centre forward was required
  • Cuz, I'm happy to let Moyes continue as I don't see the point in chopping and changing managers every 5 minutes.
    We're also not on 22 points after 15 games by a pure fluke, give him a little credit.

By comparison:
    Slav's first season we had 23 points after 15 games, in his second, we had 13 points.
    Pelle's first season we had 18 points after 15

You definitely have a down on Moyes - unfairly in my opinion - that I don't share.
    Granted, he's made a few bad team selections, but he doesn't have the luxury of a standby First XI at his disposal.
  • Cuz1 said:

Well there’s yarma

You do know he is a striker for Ukraine?
  • Bubbles, the opinion of others. DM could of course publicly change the way he acts with Haller to dispel any thoughts he doesn’t want him?
  • Cuz1 said:

I don’t get the praise moyes gets for Antonio I really don’t

Well, Antonio has almost never played as a striker and certainly not effectively.

Moyes put him CF after lockdown in March and his goals meant we survived.

That’s why he gets praise.

Or do we criticise him when he doesn’t get the best out of players but not praise him when he does? Seems reasonable...
This discussion has been closed.