The January Transfer Window

Comments

• Wolves looking at a Seb Haller loan according to HammersChat on Twitter.
  • If he can't get in that Arsenal side after Arteta said he needs fighters then I don't see a place for him at West Ham. Also the wages Arsenal and City pay will prevent us getting these players.
  • Lukerz said:

The Arsenal LB/LWB on loan would be an option; Kolašinac.

1 appearance this season , 27, plays LB/LWB, not getting into any of Arsenal’s matchday squads. Sure Arteta would be prepared to do his old gaffer a favour & loan him for six months.

Not getting into the worst Arsenal team in the last, what, 30 years isn’t a great endorsement though.

Zinchenko was mentioned earlier in this thread, he's a bit pf a sicknote, 181 days spread over 12 separate absences in the last three seasons

I wasn’t aware of that. I will look myself later if you haven’t already, but I’m interested in whether or not they are the same types of injury.

I’m also wondering by whether or not bitpart players injury records are made to look worse because maybe when they return from injury they don’t return to the match day squad immediately? I’m not sure how the injury records are calculated other than we knew they were injured on this date and they returned to the match day squad on this date.
  • IronHerb said:

If he can't get in that Arsenal side after Arteta said he needs fighters then I don't see a place for him at West Ham. Also the wages Arsenal and City pay will prevent us getting these players.

They actually have decent players on that side though. Tierney is better than Kolasinac in a back 4 and Saka was good as a LWB. A loan might be decent cover if we can't get a good permanent signing. Think he's pretty average otherwise and probably not worth a permanent signing.

I'd hope the guy who fought off men with knives might have a bit of fight!
  • Lukerz said:

Wolves looking at a Seb Haller loan according to HammersChat on Twitter.

Can’t see why he’s rubbish according to some on here 😂😂
  • But Haller's not Portugeuse.
  • edited December 2020
    Lukerz said:

Wolves looking at a Seb Haller loan according to HammersChat on Twitter.

A loan really wouldn’t benefit us at all, would it? Also, we are direct rivals with Wolves. They create a hatful of chances but don’t have a decent finisher without Jimenez. Why would we give them that?

EDIT: I know you aren’t saying that we are or will or should do the deal, lukerz
  • edited December 2020
    Cuz - Haller is not suited to Premier League football.

It is not that he is rubbish (although I may say that in the heat of the moment) but I don’t think he will ever make it as a Premier League striker. It’s not a confidence thing, as he has regularly chipped in with goals. He never has a Benteke style drought. He can’t say ‘he lacks confidence’.

He just is not suited to this league. He is a pushover & not strong enough or good enough in front of goal where you don’t get five minutes to finish off your chance.

I’m sure he’d be great in France, Germany, Spain or Portugal. Certainly would be a massive downgrade on Jiminez.
  • Well I hope your words come back and bite you, I believe he’s good enough to get 15/20 goals a season in a team that plays to his strengths and who’s service his better than what he’s getting now, we all know he ain’t a carbon copy Antonio and doesn’t make things work for him but he obviously has an eye for goal just needs the service
  • edited December 2020
    Cuz - the only thing I think that is left to do is to play him with another striker.

Fabianski
    Coufal - Balbuena - Ogbonna - Cresswell
    Bowen - Soucek - Rice - Fornals
    Antonio
    Haller

Or

Fabianski
    Balbuena - Ogbonna - Cresswell
    Coufal - Soucek - Rice - Fornals - Masuaku
    Antonio - Haller

Could work? I mean that is all there is left to do. It may be he is a different player in a front two. I just don’t think he is good enough.
  • I think there's a good player inside of him. I'd fancy him to keep cool with just the keeper to beat. We're obviously not getting the best out of him. Wish we had the answer. 2 or 3 goals would make all the difference to his confidence
  • Respect your opinion but I’d wager if any premier league club came in for him it wouldn’t be as a lone striker or a Bowen type forward alongside him, you don’t score the amount of goals he’s scored by not being good enough to me it’s Hernandez all over again
  • I’d love to see us try a 4-4-2 sometimes. Antonio and Haller would be a handful for most defences
  • edited December 2020
    https://www.hammers.news/match-report/owen-hargreaves-and-jermaine-jenas-deliver-verdicts-on-west-ham-ace-sebastien-haller/

I think I know that most on here will be in the Jenas camp but Cuz & I will agree with Hargreaves.
  • Tbf I think a lot of us would agree with Hargreaves. Haller himself needs to do more but there's no doubt the system doesn't help him. I find it really weird when people compare things he can't do to Antonio. 10 minutes scouting would've told us he's very slow, so we can never expect him to be getting behind defences or pressing by himself. Would love to see him played with Antonio.
  • And I find it weird that some people compare him to what Antonio does but wanted Antonio gone, but there’s one thing he does that’s head and shoulders above what Antonio does and that’s staying fit lol
  • Cuz1 said:

And I find it weird that some people compare him to what Antonio does but wanted Antonio gone, but there’s one thing he does that’s head and shoulders above what Antonio does and that’s staying fit lol

I’ve not wanted to sell Antonio at any point, personally, but going back 18 months or so he was not contributing very much regularly at all. He’s a different player to when some people wanted to sell him, so I don’t see the point in mentioning it now, as if it undermines that people think he’s a key player for us?
  • edited December 2020
    alderz said:

We’ve not been linked at all (that I’ve seen), but there are suggestions that Zinchenko might be sold by Man City in January. I think he’d be a good signing for us, he’s a good attacking fullback, and would be great competition for Masuaku for the LWB spot, but more than that he would provide good cover at CM and as a winger on either flank. If we don’t have the money to sign two players for each position, then having a few more versatile players might help.

I also read this last week, and from I’ve seen would be a good option. Misses a lot of games though.
  • Yes I get opinions change for some and wasn’t about you to be fair and I’ve thought he’d been a important part for us for a long time
  • And of course one of the major reasons why he wasn’t contributing was being played out of position as rwb not his natural and now we have haller who isn’t being played as he should ie with support and he’s slated mmmmm
  • Not sure about that.

He had 3/4 chances against Leeds, 1v1 against United, a great cross in against Southampton that he failed to control from a free-kick right in front of goal. He gets chances, but if he wants 10 a match he came to the wrong side.
  • I think that you’ve stretched the Southampton “chance” quite a lot. He had to really stretch to even get a touch on it. He has missed some chances, sure, but that Southampton one was almost nothing.
  • Haters will always hate alderz I don’t know a forward would have stretched to get on the end of that but guess it goes down as a chance but hay ho
  • Cuz1 said:

Haters will always hate alderz

Why? What did I ever do?
  • Again when have I referred that to you was in reference to lukerz who thinks haller has squandered most chances presented to him, if haller scored a hat trick in a three nil win he’d say yes but he missed one earlier lol I get haller is not everyone’s cup of tea but to slate him when the club hasn’t played to his strengths his unfair and unjust if our manager be it moyes or anyone else can’t see he’s not a lone striker they shouldn’t be in the job imo
  • Cuz1 said:

if haller scored a hat trick in a three nil win he’d say yes but he missed one earlier lol

I’d probably say he missed two earlier...
  • Yes before he’d come off the bench to score the said hat trick
  • Cuz1 said:

And I find it weird that some people compare him to what Antonio does but wanted Antonio gone, but there’s one thing he does that’s head and shoulders above what Antonio does and that’s staying fit lol

Cuz, you're cracking me up, =) . It's obvious that the reason he stays fit compared with Antonio, is that MA busts his guts every game, whereas Haller barely breaks sweat.
  • You seem to forget I love Antonio and we’ve known from day dot each other’s strengths unless your suggesting when haller was being targeted he just a guy till the deal was done, or did we target him and try to play him in a different way so we could slate him, I also like haller probably not as much as Antonio but I won’t slate someone who’s not being played to his strengths who is also the clubs top goal scorer just to make him a scapegoat
  • edited December 2020
    Re yesterday’s discussions

This discussion has been closed.