The January Transfer Window

Comments

• Antonio is now a top six striker. Arguably one of the best in the league based on form this year.

No other manager achieved that.
  • Well obviously yes so why doesn’t moyes play him there instead of leaving haller up top for you all to criticise and ridicule
  • Cuz1 said:

I don’t get the praise moyes gets for Antonio I really don’t

Well, Antonio has almost never played as a striker and certainly not effectively.

Moyes put him CF after lockdown in March and his goals meant we survived.

That’s why he gets praise.

Or do we criticise him when he doesn’t get the best out of players but not praise him when he does? Seems reasonable...
    I’ve praised him over arnie but I won’t for Antonio and surely it’s in his remit to improve players and performance?
  • Cuz, I'm happy to let Moyes continue as I don't see the point in chopping and changing managers every 5 minutes.
    We're also not on 22 points after 15 games by a pure fluke, give him a little credit.

By comparison:
    Slav's first season we had 23 points after 15 games, in his second, we had 13 points.
    Pelle's first season we had 18 points after 15

You definitely have a down on Moyes - unfairly in my opinion - that I don't share.
    Granted, he's made a few bad team selections, but he doesn't have the luxury of a standby First XI at his disposal.

I’m happy too at the moment just don’t get the love in imo we’ve lost four points last two games over noble inclusion
  • Cuz1 said:

Cuz1 said:

Well, Antonio has almost never played as a striker and certainly not effectively.

Or do we criticise him when he doesn’t get the best out of players but not praise him when he does? Seems reasonable...
    I’ve praised him over arnie but I won’t for Antonio and surely it’s in his remit to improve players and performance?
    Sorry, but that doesn’t make sense to me.

Doesn’t get the best out of Haller = bad manager.

Gets the best out of Antonio = average manager.
  • Lukerz said:

Antonio is now a top six striker. Arguably one of the best in the league based on form this year.

And I disagree top six striker not a chance imo
  • Cuz1 said:

Cuz1 said:

Me personally have always rated Antonio from watching him from his forest days where he was performing as he his now, I just don’t get the moyes love in how he’s turned him into this superstar when in theory it was there all along, my haller argument his if moyes really his the man to bring players on as has been quoted ie arnie and Antonio why hasn’t it worked with haller, it’s others who have slated haller not myself but it’s obvious to a man and his dog he needs service and support and if he’s not good enough why play him, try yarma or any other Tom dick or Harry would save all the criticism he’s getting for playing the way he was once valued at £40 million plus, we’ve wasted enough money on strikers here and either not played them or played to there strengths,
  • Cuz1 said:

Cuz1 said:

Football isn't so black and white, very rarely are you going to improve every player

Id say Moyes has improved a lot more players than I think have regressed under him and the difference from his team and Pellgrini is painfully obvious

And Antonio is an obvious example, he's always been a good player, but often been used as a winger or wing back....hes never payed upfront prior to Moyes and despite many saying he would never get goals he has bagged plenty

Not gonna slam him for not getting the most out of a player he didn't sign and who is the only back up we got
  • Lukerz said:

Antonio is now a top six striker. Arguably one of the best in the league based on form this year.

Let's see how many of them come in for him in January.
  • I wouldn’t expect you too I wouldn’t but he must rate haller or he wouldn’t pick him regardless of it being one of too few options available to him, as for Antonio he scored 16 in 50 for forest
  • IronHerb said:

Lukerz said:

Let's see how many of them come in for him in January.
    Of the top 6 I’d say none
  • Would Antonio be a regular starter in a top six side?
  • He’d be injured
  • Odd that you don’t want to big up one of our best players of 2020 but that’s up to you.

Yeah he is injury prone but that was not what I said. I said he is a top six striker on his recent from.
  • I love Antonio just don’t agree with your top six striker observation that’s all, can’t remember me on here ever saying we should sell but you have on numerous occasions before and he doesn’t need bigging up imo I know how good he his
  • edited December 2020
    Which I have admitted & eaten humble pie for 👍

I never rated him as a wide player

He has developed massively over the last year
  • For me he’s always been that good just injury prone but never top six not even in the purple patch he was having but respect your opinion
  • Cuz1 said:

Cuz1 said:

Cuz1 said:

Me personally have always rated Antonio from watching him from his forest days where he was performing as he his now, I just don’t get the moyes love in how he’s turned him into this superstar when in theory it was there all along, my haller argument his if moyes really his the man to bring players on as has been quoted ie arnie and Antonio why hasn’t it worked with haller, it’s others who have slated haller not myself but it’s obvious to a man and his dog he needs service and support and if he’s not good enough why play him, try yarma or any other Tom dick or Harry would save all the criticism he’s getting for playing the way he was once valued at £40 million plus, we’ve wasted enough money on strikers here and either not played them or played to there strengths,
    According to Transfermarkt Antonio only started one league game as a striker for Forest. Almost all of his appearances came at left wing. Also, he scored 16 in 50 league games for Forest. So I’d argue he is doing something very different now to what he was then.
  • Very similar scoring .% and wasn’t always out wide for forest as with us seemed to be put there by accident think you miss the point I’m a big fan of his and have been consistently
  • Cuz, I do think Moyes has done something different with Antonio. He used to occasionally have a good game up front but then have loads of frustrating ones. He's put in way more consistent performances since and I think gets behind the defences more. His finishing is still pretty inconsistent imo but he gets into more situations where it's a simple one-touch type of finish. I think Moyes did the same with Arnautovic as well. I think he changed how they make runs and position themselves as strikers.

• We agree to disagree
  • I'll be honest, I felt Antonio had a purple patch as a striker post lockdown last season, but he's continued to look a decent and effective PL striker this season; he's certainly more of a CF option now than I gave him credit for before Moyes's second term.
  • Cuz1 said:

Out of those out there I’d go with a younger manager with redknapp as mentor somebody like Nolan

You might want a word with some Leyton Orient or Notts County fans about Nolan's skills as a manager. He's a good coach but...
  • A mate of my mines friend played under him at notts county never had a problem with him, the ex chairman in the Nottingham evening post alleged he cried when he had to sack him and some of the other players came out and said it was the worst decision the chairman made unless you know different, and when my mum had a massive stroke and recovered but since died due to another one he brought her favourite player jordi grant and himself to the hospital with a signed shirt at 89 it made her day, I said someone like Nolan though and not on his own to start with
  • And a win percentage of 42.5 %
  • We’ve not been linked at all (that I’ve seen), but there are suggestions that Zinchenko might be sold by Man City in January. I think he’d be a good signing for us, he’s a good attacking fullback, and would be great competition for Masuaku for the LWB spot, but more than that he would provide good cover at CM and as a winger on either flank. If we don’t have the money to sign two players for each position, then having a few more versatile players might help.
  • Zinchenko was mentioned earlier in this thread, he's a bit pf a sicknote, 181 days spread over 12 separate absences in the last three seasons
  • edited December 2020
    The Arsenal LB/LWB on loan would be an option; Kolašinac.

1 appearance this season , 27, plays LB/LWB, not getting into any of Arsenal’s matchday squads. Sure Arteta would be prepared to do his old gaffer a favour & loan him for six months.
This discussion has been closed.