Transfer Deadline Day: It's weird because it's October

Comments

• I do hope that these takeover rumours are true to get rid of the poison dwarf
  • Me too they are absolutely clueless and I’m thinking moyes must take some of the blame if he’s one of his transfer targets? Where even us the fans can see where we need strengthening
  • 🤔

For months West Ham fans have been commenting on social media about the relationship between Sullivan and Salthouse, and the word 'corrupt' has been thrown around.

C&H ran a piece yesterday that mentioned that Benrahma was no longer a Salthouse client. I thought it weird at the time as it bore no relevance to the actual headline. And now suddenly we're close to signing him 🤔

I mean, is it possible that Benrahma is still with Salthouse and we were told otherwise to stop the accusations that would inevitably come if we sign a player in a position that we were told we were well-stocked in? Did we sell Diangana so we had the money to buy Benrahma and, purely coincidentally, line the pocket of his agent (that definitely isn't Will Salthouse)?

Maybe I've become too suspicious of the board, but given that we had 'too many' wingers and Moyes wanted a centre back as a priority, I find it odd that we're now close to spending most, if not all, of our budget on a left winger that is being funded in the most part by the sale of a left winger.

Ex did say on his podcast, just before the sale went through, that it seemed Salthouse is behind the Diangana sale.

Btw, I heard Benrahma’s new agent is Bill Peppermill
  • That's a mustard comment Outcast.
  • its just no wonder everyone can see our deficiencies but the club never get it and is the reason you will always see pundits and commentators comment about how scattergun our transfer policy is just buying players in the hope that it sticks.
  • IronHerb said:

That's a mustard comment Outcast.

Salt of the earth.
  • So hang on a minute, let me get this right - we are about to buy a winger for £18m who impressed in the championship for a side which failed to get promoted, having just sold a winger for £18m who impressed in the championship for a side which did get promoted (and is younger)??..
  • Not really sure what promotion has to do with anything.
    The question is, is he better than Diangana? I tend to think he is. So replacing Diangana, who many thought would be playing in the first XI, with a better player is good business.
    The fact that we need defenders is valid but improving the team/squad is still the right thing to do.
  • Improving the squad is the right thing to do, but prioritising the positions we require is more important imo
  • I agree Cuz but we need to keep an eye on other positions too. If we were to get Benrahma, and that is a big if, it would allow Rice to cover at CB, if the need arises, and Fornals to go into CM. That covers one issue if we're not to play Diop.
  • Peter and Paul IronHerb,and that’s like saying Antonio could slip into a wingback position but in my opinion it weakens us
  • Any discussions about who we should or shouldn’t buy just goes to show why managing by committee leads to disaster. I just assume Moyes knows what positions he needs to sort and has a pecking order for possibilities to bring in for each. I don’t think he’d buy for the sake of it or just to please fans so if he can’t get one of those on his list he’ll leave it until he can.
  • Don't really see the problem here

Yes we need dither positions, but after losing Anderson on loan we probably need another winger, and Benrahma was the standout player in the championship last year

This is potentially an exciting signing

Do have some reservations, as in does he work hard off the ball as he'll need to if he will replace Fornals

Hope we can get this over the line then start working on Manning
  • Don't really see the problem here

Yes we need dither positions, but after losing Anderson on loan we probably need another winger, and Benrahma was the standout player in the championship last year

Sorry WHU, but IMO there is enough dithering going on...........
  • Also, we may need a CB, but if the options Moyes wants are not available, his view may be ‘let’s get another good player elsewhere, & wait until those players are available’.

I would rather sign a couple of forward players than settle on Craig Dawson. It seems Moyes wanted Tarkowski, but now that is off he has decided to go for a different player.
  • Sky reporting that Bournemouth have rejected a bid of £13m for Josh King from West Ham.
  • If the £30m is the supposed gross figure who do we think is the better option to try and go for - Benhrama or Ismaili Sarr?
  • Pay the going rate for his preferred option ie back him
  • I don’t have a problem with strengthening the squad in any position. However, I just cannot get comfortable with the Diangana sale. Signing Behrama might be good business, but he will have a lot of pressure if he arrives because a lot of fans will be thinking “ok so you’re better than the lad none of us wanted to sell, prove it.” - I know that’s how I’ll feel at least, and I feel that I’m usually one of the more level headed fans (though maybe we all think that)
  • I think Behrama is an upgrade on Diangana, more like Zaha.
  • Behrama is a high quality player. Could see us playing 4 at the back to get him starting
  • please dont say he is like Zaha,We dont need a player who falls over at the slightest touch
  • Behrama is a high quality player. Could see us playing 4 at the back to get him starting

High quality based on what exactly?
  • edited October 2020
    He has shown he's quality in the Championship but I don't think he's shown he's that much better than Diangana. I've got a friend who supports Brentford and says the same, Benrahma's a bit more unpredictable but not miles ahead of Diangana, who he is a few years older than. And it feels pointless comparing him to Diangana when that's already done but I can't help it, to be honest.

I think my problem is it feels like the business that has seen us focus on Anderson and Haller in the past, when we have gaps in the squad. Previously it was a DM. With Rice and Soucek in the squad, the gap is now in defence.

I'm a bit tired of marquee signings. If this happens, let's hope he's like Buendia last season, who stepped up quite nicely for Norwich.
  • Cuz1 said:

Behrama is a high quality player. Could see us playing 4 at the back to get him starting

He is high quality footballer based on his level of play
  • steve said:

please dont say he is like Zaha,We dont need a player who falls over at the slightest touch

Such a lazy view of Zaha
  • Cuz1 said:

Behrama is a high quality player. Could see us playing 4 at the back to get him starting

Cuz1 said:

So how many times you seen him play to that level
  • What we are lacking right now is a flair player - a spark. Behrama is exactly that
  • steve said:

please dont say he is like Zaha,We dont need a player who falls over at the slightest touch

Such a lazy view of Zaha
    So you think he isn't Mr Fallover then, Tom Davis trains with Zaha
This discussion has been closed.