West Ham v Arsenal 19 September 2000 kick off 20:00

Comments

• And, would you believe it, Lawro actually got the result right. >:)

2020 is a strange year indeed
  • Also, Moyes’ needs to look at how he utilises subs. Can’t keep leave the same team out for 82 mins & then lob on a load of subs to make an impact in five minutes. If he had freshened that up 15 mins earlier it may have been a different result.
  • Over many years more, than I care to remember, we have been praised for playing well and losing. I’d been a lot more content if we didn’t play as well and got more positive results which is what it’s all about. Oh to play games & win 1-0 it didn’t stop Liverpool & Arsenal from winning titles.
  • edited September 2020
    Just watching the review on Sky, how was that not a penalty for handball? >:)
    Both Souness & Evra agreed it should have been.
    Why didn't VAR get involved? Just saw the Manure v Palace highlights & the handball for Palace's penalty was decided by VAR. Why not us?
  • Lukerz said:

Also, Moyes’ needs to look at how he utilises subs. Can’t keep leave the same team out for 82 mins & then lob on a load of subs to make an impact in five minutes. If he had freshened that up 15 mins earlier it may have been a different result.

Completely agree, its a massive pet peeve i have with Moyes

But then again you could say subbing off Bowen for Yarmolenko was the error that led to the goal

Maybe he just doesn't trust the squad enough (evident because apparently half of then are enough for sale and when they come on they don't really change the game anyways)
  • If we was arsenal, you would Be feeling lucky
    This should be the bounce We need injuries aside
    Get behind West Ham and move on
  • Lukerz said:

Also, Moyes’ needs to look at how he utilises subs. Can’t keep leave the same team out for 82 mins & then lob on a load of subs to make an impact in five minutes. If he had freshened that up 15 mins earlier it may have been a different result.

I don’t understand why he brought on Anderson a couple of minutes after Haller. Why not both at the same time?

He’s way too reactive with subs. There were chances to bury the game that were perfect for Haller and Antonio wasn’t taking them.

But that was more like how we played at the end of last season so hopefully that will be more of what we offer. Masuaku made a real difference and actually did some good defensive work.
  • Masuaku now needs to stay in the side. So much better with him in the team.

But I am sick & tired of hearing ‘West Ham play well but fall short to a late goal’, because we know we won’t play well most weeks & will lose those too. Was the same at Arsenal last season.
  • & also, it’s not unlucky.

Their goals were too easy as usual. We need a more ruthless back line. We pass up way too many chances with little resistance.
  • Both of their goals showed why Moyes wants defensive reinforcements. Lacazette totally on his own for his header and nobody following the runs around the box for the second.
  • Lukerz said:

We did alright but you can’t dominate games & take nothing from it, because what happens is every now & then we throw in a Newcastle performance. If you are losing when playing bad & still losing when playing well, you are in big trouble.

I want to give the players a pat on the back but we need to make it count when we dominate, not end up beaten & say ‘hard luck boys’.

Agree. Fed up with talking like we are the underdog that put up a fight but still lost. We sound like a league 1 outfit playing one of the big boys in a cup.
  • Well, I think when people say ‘unlucky’ in reference to a football match they don’t necessarily mean there was nothing we could have done.

It tends to mean that on the balance of play and on chances created the score line isn’t really a reflection of what happened, which was the case here.

Yes, the goals we conceded weren’t great. But at the same time, it was about the only two times they got through and both resulted in a goal. That is unfortunate, in my opinion.
  • I won’t slate a team for a performance like that but for me it’s the inconsistency of our team that peeves me and moyes lack of tactical awareness it was crying out for haller after 70 mins not two or three minutes at the end, no wonder most fans think he’s a waste of money imo
  • edited September 2020
    Jorderz, what isn’t unfortunate is not playing a “proper” centre forward. When Antonio scores 20 goals as a central striker this season, if DM continues to not play Haller, then I will be the first to apologise for doubting him until then .......
  • Jorderz, what isn’t unfortunate is not playing a “proper” centre forward. When Antonio scores 20 goals as a central striker this season, if DM continues to not play Haller, then I will be the first to apologise for doubting him until then .......

Well, since football restarted after lockdown Antonio has scored the most goals of any player in the league, joint with Sterling.

Is playing Antonio instead of Haller right now seriously a gripe?
  • I think playing Antonio is correct. However I don't like the way Moyes doesn't seem to go for the win. He makes the changes when its too late imo. If he thinks Haller is good enough to come on and get an equaliser with 2 minutes to play why is he not good enough to get the winner with 20 minutes to play.
  • Both of their goals showed why Moyes wants defensive reinforcements. Lacazette totally on his own for his header and nobody following the runs around the box for the second.

Personally, I think the goals prove why our defensive problems won’t be improved only with players. They’re problems with the unit not working. Lacazette ran from deep and should’ve been picked up by Rice. Yarmolenko should’ve stayed with Ceballos.
  • The performance was so much better than the shambles last week. We did not deserve to lose. However Moyes gambled with Yarmo and it didn't pay off. We had nobody on the bench to bring on to see the game out. Cullen was the option that wasn't there.
  • edited September 2020
    It's going to be a long hard season with uninspiring football
  • He ain’t known as dithering Dave for nothing ... 0/6 and probably won’t be any better after another 3 games
  • After work I met up for a beer with a Gooner couple who saw the game, they reckon we were robbed, we wee the better side and they were lucky to come away with 3 points.
  • I think Arsenal's win was a lucky one, Arteta's reaction at the end said it all. I was really angry last night, have calmed now. We were denied a clear penalty, we more than held our own against them. It's going to be a tough few weeks ahead for us. we the fans need to stick together, I know this forum helps me stay rational after frustrating results. Let's hope the team keeps working hard and some luck comes our way. COYI's
  • yoyo said:

It's going to be a long hard season with uninspiring football

So you thought we were rubbish then?
  • Jorderz, no the real gripe is not playing Haller in a twin striker role with someone else. It was mentioned earlier last week both Fornals and him are being criticised but they aren't being allowed to operate in a position which plays to their strengths. We create good chance and don't convert enough IMHO.
  • edited September 2020
    Seem to have a number on us this lot with late goals.

2017/18 Moyes first season: 4-1 (1-1 after 82 mins)
    2018/19 Pelle first season: 3-1 (1-1 after 70 mins & played well)
    2019/20 Last season: 1-0 (0-0 after 78 mins, played well)
    Yesterday: 2-1 (1-1 after 85 mins, played well)
  • edited September 2020
    We do need to start taking a point or 3 from " improved performances ", all very well if we play quite well, but still on zero points...

An improved performance ( not hard to do from 1st game ) but perhaps the bumbling owners and dithering Dave will get their act together .....and then again perhaps they won't.
  • Fact is we should have been 3-1 up before they scored their second. We passed up those opportunities & then we switched off. That’s not bad luck, that’s sloppy at both ends of the pitch.

Our defending has always been sloppy. We can defend well for 90% of the game but will always switch off once or twice & the best teams punish you. They did not have to do much for their goals, whereas our goal was a well crafted move.

Wolves next & I suggest we go with the same formation, but we get Haller into the side somehow.
  • These days I struggle to see beyond the points earned. So we got none and conceded 2 goals. So for me that’s a poor day not a “unlucky, we deserved more” day. You deserve more if you at least stay focused for every minute defensively.

We are a bottom 25% of the league side given the imbalance of our squad and the inability of our manager to get much out of our most expensive and highest earners. So it’s only really points that matter as we are a side that is at high risk of relegation

• It doesn’t matter how well we are playing in games but unless we are at least 2 in front after 80 minutes we are vulnerable. Whether we are chasing an equaliser or a winner we fall asleep and don’t do the basics at either end.
    We said it last year, the game doesn’t end until the final whistle.
  • Antonio has played most of the last two games out wide so I think it should be easy to bring Haller in anyway. Antonio to take Fornals’ position