• Fab
    Johnson Diop Oggy Masuaku
    Rice Soucek
    Bowen Anderso Antonio
    Haller

Think Anderson would be good as a #10

Just don't want to see either Noble or Cresswell tbf
  • i want us to score, don't expect anything other than a thrashing
  • I like the idea of an attacking impact sub to lift the team. Our 2 main strikers are Antonio & Haller so for me one needs to be an impact sub. This approach also reduces the chance of being "strikerless" if we had an injury crisis.

For me Haller isn't an impact sub. Antonio can be an effective impact sub but seems very harsh to bench one of our top performers which is part of the dilemma. So perhaps we use Antonio as the wide attacking threat and since he tires in the second half, we use Yarmolenko as the attacking impact sub to replace Antonio. Obviously if Haller is having a poor match, it might make sense to sub him for Yarmo but completely depends on tactics and how the game is panning out.

I'm still not convinced on Anderson and Lanzini. I'd love to be proved wrong but I still don't rate them too highly.

Tactically if we want to get at least a point this match, we need to keep our team compact and alert and try to catch Arsenal out on the break. Arsenal's full backs push up a lot so our wide players have a chance to catch them out of position on the counter. I also think a big strong centre forward who is good in the air is what's needed to do well against Arsenal (even in the 'Arteta-era'). I know we hate to cross the ball but if we can cross early and accurately, I think we can cause them problems.

Fab
    Bowen Rice Soucek Antonio
    Haller
  • We love, you're confident aren't if you think we only need to field 10 men =)
  • I have a feeling Fornals will start

I don't think he hasn't shown enough that he deserves to start, but what he does do very well is track back and protect the left back, moreso than Lanzini or Antonio would

Think Moyes would fancy him in a game where we will be on the back foot a lot

I'd like to see

Fab
    Rice Soucek
    Bowen Lanzini Antonio
    Haller

What I think we will see

Fab
    Fredericks Diop Oggy Cresswell
    Bowen Soucek Rice Fornals
    Haller Antonio
  • edited September 2020
    It will be 4-2-3-1.

Either Haller or Antonio up front, Moyes isn't going to start two strikers away at the Emirates and have no-one on the bench

He might replace Noble with Lanzini, Fornals or even Cullen behind the striker.

Possibly Anderson for Fornals on the left.

Johnson looked good going forward but he was slow getting back against Charlton

And even have Balbuena for Diop who looked totally miserable against Newcastle.

So...

Fabianski
    Fredericks Balbuena (c) Ogbonna Masuaku(?)
    Rice Soucek
    Bowen Lanzini Anderson
    Antonio
  • Hope to see any of Lanzini/Anderson or even Snodgrass start over Fornals...
    IMO Fornals, offers ......not much, tracking back....somewhat...
    Would also like to see our record signing start.....
  • Antonio is as much a striker as he is a wing back. He has the pace to join Haller but not the skills to play up front on his own. Play Haller up front and Antonio wide left.
  • When Fornals & Haller have been played for several games in a position or system that allows them to show how good they really then they can be criticised. 👍
  • Went on holiday straight after watching Newcastle game and have not had stomach to read that thread yet but based on my view of the performance.
    I would go
    Fab
    Diop Rice Ogbonna
    Fredericks Noble Masuaku
    Yarmolenko Soucek Anderson
    Antonio
  • When Fornals & Haller have been played for several games in a position or system that allows them to show how good they really then they can be criticised. 👍

Yes, but Fornals is playing out of position - he should be the replacement for Noble, and Haller has been in a totally different set up in Germany. Play them in their correct positions or formation and then moan if they don't perform. So there !!!
  • edited September 2020
    Expat, you said exactly what I was trying to. 😁 Both players have been unfairly criticised.
  • For the Arsenal game we need strength in midfield and Cullen deserves a chance in a flexible 4-3-3 and/or 4-5-1 formation.

Fabianski
    Fredericks - Diop - Ogbonna - Masuaku
    Rice - Soucek - Cullen
    Antonio - Haller - Bowen

Need to kick-start the season. 0-0 or 1-0, WHU to nick a goal.
  • edited September 2020
    I want to know when Dr. Who is going to turn in his TARDIS to take both teams back 20 years to 2000 =)
    Amazed nobody has noticed. =)
  • Lawro says 2-1 Arsenal
  • Did anyone else notice Wilshere is injured again?

After the Charlton game Moyes told reporters...

"He rolled his ankle in training yesterday or he would have been playing tonight or around the squad. It is the first time since lockdown that he has had an injury."
  • I only notice when he is not injured
  • Rolling his ankle moyes should have made him train rather than messing about rolling his ankle,
  • Did anyone else notice Wilshere is injured again?

After the Charlton game Moyes told reporters...

"He rolled his ankle in training yesterday or he would have been playing tonight or around the squad. It is the first time since lockdown that he has had an injury."

Maybe I’ve invented it in my mind, but I feel like he’s always fit for preseason and then injured for actual, yknow, football
  • Wiltshire injured...... No comment
  • He gets injured, just getting out of bed. We usually buy Arsenal duds (Wiltshire, Radford, Ljunberg) for mega bucks and they always fail to deliver.
  • alderz said:

Maybe I’ve invented it in my mind, but I feel like he’s always fit for preseason and then injured for actual, yknow, football

He had a good season 2016/17 on loan at Bournemouth, played 27 with 22 starts (only unavailable for two games because they were against Arsenal) and then reverted to form by getting injured for the last five games of the season.
  • Moyes is a defensive minded manager and prefers his team to counterattack. We were so poor vs Newcastle as we had a lot of the ball and they invited us to come forward, which we failed to do with any confidence. He will play it safe, I think.

Fabianski
    Fredericks - Diop - Ogbonna - Cresswell
    Rice - Noble
    Soucek
    Antonio - Haller - Bowen

If its not working (as I expect it will not) please make some subs EARLY. Change the shape (2 up top) and bring on Anderson, Lanzini, Yarmoloenko.
  • If defensive then Fornals for Noble, if attacking then Anderson for Noble. Pretty much anyone for Noble imo.
  • At some point Noble has to be eased out and into coaching. With Rice/Soucek/Fornals I think we finally have a mix that might replace what Noble has done for us for a long time. I think managers have tried to replace him and it's never worked, which just shows how many different responsibilities he's picked up as a single player over such a long time. He's led the team, he's had to be the holding player at times, he's been the creative force in midfield at times. I think it'll take all three of those players to fill his role on the field.
  • If Moyes is a defensive minded manager and we are....well...... pretty terrible at defending, how is that supposed to work??...
  • Noble deserves all the respect he gets for being a one club man and giving his all since he has been here. However age catches up with every player and never more than in midfield. He should be used as a substitute when needing to see out a game we are winning.
  • He should be used as a substitute when needing to see out a game we are winning.

So you're saying he's retired?