West Ham v Arsenal 19 September 2000 kick off 20:00

Comments

• He should be used as a substitute when needing to see out a game we are winning.

So you're saying he's retired?

No but he's on the way there now. He still has something to give and still has good patches of forms but he's not as good as before and we do have to prepare for life after him.
  • He should be used as a substitute when needing to see out a game we are winning.

No but he's on the way there now. He still has something to give and still has good patches of forms but he's not as good as before and we do have to prepare for life after him.
    I was suggesting we're so bad we'd never be winning a game so he'd never be needed to "see out a game we are winning".

I was suggesting we're so bad we'd never be winning a game so he'd never be needed to "see out a game we are winning".
    Aha, sorry was slow on that one!
  • Think this game is a write off. Willian will destroy us
  • West Ham v Arsenal 19 September 2000 kick off 20:00

Hislop
    Pearce Ferdinand Winterburn
    Sinclair Lomas Lampard Moncur Cole
    Kanoute Di Canio

He's in my FF team, so rock on baby
  • West Ham v Arsenal 19 September 2000 kick off 20:00

Hislop
    Kanoute Di Canio
    Leaving Schemmel out is controversial

Didn't help Chelsea last season.
  • alderz said:

Hislop
    Kanoute Di Canio
    Injured. Those Chadwell Heath pitches are notorious.
  • I'm sure, like me, some of you were at Wembley 1980...... have the faith ( although to be honest I fear a thumping)
  • A thumping would be merciful, a massacre is what I expect
  • I think we might just win this .....And no i have not been drinking ,Also not on pills .A win would be Typical of us ,And just as the two Daves might be putting there hand in there pockets ,A win would mean they can take it out again
  • Steve you may not currently be on pills but I suspect they’re on the cards soon.
  • So , OCS, someone has finally picked up on my post from the other day
    https://www.whu606.com/discussion/comment/956470/#Comment_956470
    =)
  • edited September 2020
    Can’t say I have much optimism today. Had we beat Newcastle, this would be slightly more relaxed.

I would image this may suit us better, though. We will play on the counter for this game, whereas Newcastle we had 60% possession. Let’s get a fair amount of pace in the side & make sure when we do counter we do it in numbers.

Masuaku, Haller in I would imagine. I would quite like to see Anderson given a go but predict it will be Antonio & Bowen out wide.
  • Point to be had today. COYI
  • edited September 2020
    alderz said:

Hislop
    Kanoute Di Canio
    Playing Schemmel would have been even more controversial as he was still at Metz, joined January 2001

We did play on 19 September 2000, it was a Tuesday, away at Walsall in the League Cup and it was an 8pm ko. It was an odd game

We started with Hislop in goal, five defenders - Pearce, Ferdinand, Stimac, Winterburn, Potts - and five midfielders - Carrick, Lomas, Keller, Cole, Sinclair.

Di Canio and Kanoute stayed at home with Craig Forrest and four kids on the bench (Adam Newton, Omer Riza, Shaun Byrne, Jermaine Defoe).

It was a pretty dull affair, raining buckets during the first half, the only things of note were a couple of streakers (or it may have been the same bloke twice) and the chicken balti pies (invented in Walsall, 1997). Winterburn did manage to get the ball in the net but it was disallowed for handball and Walsall goalkeeper Jimmy Walker (joined us 2004) played a blinder.

Defoe replaced Keller in the 77th minute for his first team debut and scored in the 84th.
  • Fabianski
    Fredericks - Diop - Ogbonna - Cresswell
    Rice - Soucek
    Bowen - Fornals - Antonio
    Haller

Is I think what we will see today...
  • edited September 2020
    Lawro has predicted we'll lose 2-1

Episode IV - A New Hope
  • https://www.claretandhugh.info/more-misery-as-hammers-lose-another-london-derby/

So in 5 games across women, U23 and u18 we have already lost 5 London Derbys before todays game

Feeling even more confident
  • I s'pose we beat Charlton at least
  • Anyone searching......for a big sofa ....
  • I’ve got 2 sofas and I’m trying to put one on top of the other.
  • Three at the back by the looks of it:

Fab
    Diop Oggy Cresswell (sigh)
    Fredericks Soucek Fornals Rice Masuaku
    Bowen Antonio

Or possibly a 4-4-1-1

Fab
    Fredericks Diop Oggy Cresswell (sigh)
    Bowen Soucek Rice Masuaku
    Fornals
    Antonio
  • Cullen not even on the bench, which seems harsh, given his performance the other night.

Haller can probably count himself unlikely, too. Maybe one more chance for the players that failed against Newcastle.
  • Masuaku in for Noble. Wonder if it's a back 3 or he'll be a winger. Glad to see at least one change.
  • What must Haller do to start..and Fornals starting....not impressed IMO, but let;'s be proved wrong, I mean Moyes is a PL manager..and I'm not.
  • Lanzini should have started instead of Fornals.
  • edited September 2020

Masuaku in for Noble. Wonder if it's a back 3 or he'll be a winger. Glad to see at least one change.

Twitter suggesting it's three at the back to match Arsenal’s formation.

But it's not 3-5-2 as we only have one striker (well, converted winger) on the pitch. An opportunity to go with two strikers and Moyes doesn't take it. Bet Haller's not happy; he scored a few in pre-season and got another couple in the week. I'd have started him alongside Antonio.