Pre Season

Comments

• Going to watch the England game now, praying Rice a. looks sharp b. doesn't pick up any injuries
  • Bournemouth players all hot and sweaty but ours not showing a bead of sweat anywhere.

Maybe we're fitter than them.
  • Going to watch the England game now, praying Rice a. looks sharp b. doesn't pick up any injuries

Hopefully Rice has a right mare and the chavs decide not to pursue B)
  • Poor game. Bournemouth were better and deserved to win. Midfield was weak, defence lethargic and attack blunt. Haller still can't cut it and will struggle again as alone striker, I think. Hopefully, not a portent for the season ahead.
  • I am not bothered by the result. The same way as we won’t win the league because we beat Wycombe, Ipswich, Brentford, we won’t go down cos we lost to Bournemouth.

But we need defenders. We need a CB 1000% & we then need full-backs. Diop is not good enough, far too rash & inconsistent.
  • We’re not going to replace the defence in a week with £20m
  • Well we have £20m, plus £5m, plus £3m, plus whatever was in the budget before.

It doesn’t need sorting in a week, so I am not bothered by that. Needs sorting by October.
  • We have £27m, if C&H are to be believed. But yeah, we're not getting the three players we need for that.

Also, why did we play Martin today. I know Fab and Randy are away, but why not give Trott or Anang a game? Why play someone that is, by the club's own admission, a training-ground 'keeper?
  • Problem with that is we are bottom on 0 -6 points in October, who would want to join us
  • We have £12m from Diangana, which may rise to £18mil

Also you have to consider the £5mil outgoing for the Haller payment that was due

So £15mil, and thats assuming none of that had to be used to pay for Soucek which was about £15mil

We need a new centre back and left back, imo left back is still the priority
  • Diop is absolute trash btw
  • Anyone know the Liverpool - Blackpool result?
  • Rice not looking particularly comfortable today

Not moving right and not asking for the ball
  • It doesn’t need sorting in a week, it has needed to be sorted since the season ended. But the board are incompetent and left themselves a week to sort things out. Newcastle is an important game for us, and we will lose if we defend like we did today / large parts of last season.
  • Bubbles Liverpool won 7-2
  • We have £12m from Diangana, which may rise to £18mil

I've seen it £18m up front and 20% sell on.

This is the thing with rice. Does he suit a team like Chelsea who will have plenty of possession? For me he's more effective in a team that needs to make last ditch tackles, break up play etc...
  • edited September 2020
    That's the thing alderz. None of this is anything new. Our fullbacks have needed replacing for a few seasons. Zaba did OK in his first two seasons, but Fredericks, Cresswell and Masuaku are not PL standard fullbacks. This was the case last summer. It was the case in January. It was the case in June. And yet we're going to start another season with Fredericks and Cresswell. It's bordering on negligence from the board.
  • IronHerb said:

We have £12m from Diangana, which may rise to £18mil

I've seen it £18m up front and 20% sell on.
    Still seen in most reports 'in a deal that could reach up to £18mil'

That's basically Rice for England. He seems a bit nervous whenever I've seen him play for the national team.

It may be because for us he excels in breaking up play, turning the ball over and starting attacks because generally we have less possession and are under the cosh. For England, where they have most of the possession against most teams they play, he seems at a bit of a loss as to what to do.
  • That's the thing alderz. None of this is anything new. Our fullbacks have needed replacing for a few seasons. Zaba did OK in his first two seasons, but Fredericks, Cresswell and Masuaku are not PL standard fullbacks. This was the case last summer. It was the case in January. It was the case in June. And yet we're going to start another season with Fredericks and Cresswell. It's bordering on negligence from the board.

It took us YEARS to sign a striker of any quality, and we’d still be without a DM if Rice hadn’t solved the problem. I reckon full backs will still be a problem for us in January, and probably next summer too.
  • £18m or not, We need £80m to sort this shambles
  • I still don't think we will go down this year

Can't be understated just how important Rice and Soucek are for this team, they are the only ones who have the ability and intelligence to shield the back 4 and are so fundamental to our system

Also Martin is really not a good keeper, he will struggle to get any minutes this season

Defence has obliviously been highlighted here as our big issue, which everyone already knew....but I missed Diangana today, Fornals I like but he just isn't a left winger, every chance he got for a 1 vs 1 he waited too long or played it backward, putting pressure back on us

Back to this
    We need a goal keeper
  • It feels like we haven’t had a decent reliable R/B since Tim Breaker

Lucas Neill was ok enough but his main attribute was he was a fantastic leader

That's basically Rice for England. He seems a bit nervous whenever I've seen him play for the national team.

It may be because for us he excels in breaking up play, turning the ball over and starting attacks because generally we have less possession and are under the cosh. For England, where they have most of the possession against most teams they play, he seems at a bit of a loss as to what to do.
    But what I find odd is how he goes into his shell, almost as if he's intimidated

He regularly drops deep and asks for the ball with us, but for England he just shys away

He is still doing his job, getting his foot in and breaking up play, but looks so different on the ball. His long balls where he switches play has improved dramatically for us, would like to see him do it more for England
  • edited September 2020
    It is clear to see there is so much wrong with our club.

If people cannot/wish not to see it, that's their choice.

When you have the captain literally slating a decison made by either the manager/owners or combination of both and a fair number of other players repeating/ agreeing , then that states volumes, they know far more than any of us....

The deicision was made and is now done, the atmosphere seems vile , yet again...It's a never ending story with West Ham United under our current owners.

For me, it's simply not just signing a defender or two to mask the cracks....the cracks lie far, far deeper.

I have never been vocal of slating our owners, but sadly my patience has run out, they are simply out of tune & out of their depths.

I have no faith anymore, I can understand any player who really know's anything about our club would want nothing to do with us, unless it's a money thing.

My hopes for the season ahead, survival....is that really the next level our owners banged on about?

Depressing state of affairs IMO
  • Bring back Ray Stewart and Frank Lampard snr
  • yoyo said:

Bring back Ray Stewart and Frank Lampard snr

The way things are going we might do 😀
  • He looked off the pace, and tbf he didn't really exert himself, but I'm happy Rice got 90 minutes
  • He hasn’t played in a couple of months, he just needs the minutes IMO