Pre Season

Comments

• Yes, Lukerz

I don’t blame them for anything in this window at all. The Jan signings it has to be said are very promising.

But thinking about our owners, I don’t think either or both of Bowen or Soucek would have been signed if we hadn’t been in real relegation trouble.
  • So the Reading game is no longer going ahead?

So Bournemouth on Saturday is the last pre season game we have

Hopefully Diop and Rice (and Snodgrass) shake off their knocks as they will be needed for Newcastle
  • Thing is Diop,Rice, Snodgrass have had no pre season, So really how can they start against Newcastle
  • On a normal season I'd agree, but our last competitive game would be 7 weeks from the Newcastle one, whereas normally that would be 12/13 in a normal season

Think you can see from the fitness of all the teams so far that their levels of fitness haven't dropped off as much as they would a normal off season

Think that if they shake off their injuries and play 50/60 minutes against Bournemouth they'd be cleared to start against Newcastle
  • Rice will get some preseason with England, too.
  • Tottenham have been drawn against Locomotive Plovdiv in the Europa League Qualifier. If you have never heard of them they are a team from North London who have not won the league for nearly 60 years.
  • According to Sam Inkersole at football.london Rice, Diop and Snodgrass all injured, all three might miss the Newcastle game and we are not happy with Rice being called up for the England internationals.

https://www.football.london/west-ham-united-fc/players/rice-diop-snodgrass-latest-west-18860665
  • edited September 2020
    So Balbuena, who Moyes clearly doesn't rate, starts the season because we have no other option beyond the Academy.

Meanwhile, Duffy signs for Celtic.

The season hasn't even kicked off and I've already had enough.
  • Weren't most people on here unhappy we were after Duffy as he was Brightons 4th choice?

I would've liked him to come in, sounded like a shrewd move

Maybe Moyes (and me) is hoping Balbuena can revert to his first season form when everyone thought he was one of the transfers of the window
  • I think that's possible. I still think all of our defence was made to look worse by that period with Roberto in goal when all faith in the system was destroyed. Either side of that, we weren't that bad defensively.
  • The idea of Duffy grew on me. Initially I was put off because I thought he was in his early 30s, but at 28, he could have been a good option for 3 or 4 years, and is the type of player we need, IMO. A bit of a no-nonsense, take-no-prisoners, throw-your-body on the line, Ginge type player.

The fact that we've shipped nearly 60 goals in each of the last two seasons just demonstrates where we need strengthening, and yet 10 days until the new season starts and we we're worse off than we were against Villa.
  • I never expected Duffy to come here, he wants to be starter and I don't think he's better than any of the three CBs we already have. He'll probably play every game at Celtic.
  • Few absentees for the Betway Cup due to internationals; looking like:

Martin
    Johnson - Diop - Ogbonna - Cresswell
    Noble - Wilshere
    Bowen - Lanzini - Antonio
    Haller
  • IS Nobles head in the right frame of mind for a must win game =)
  • Maybe our first trophy of the season =)
  • Is this on live anywhere?

EDIT: Its on the club facebook page
  • Lukerz said:

Few absentees for the Betway Cup due to internationals; looking like:

Martin
    Johnson - Diop - Ogbonna - Cresswell
    Noble - Wilshere
    Bowen - Lanzini - Antonio
    Haller

Honestly would like to see Cullen given a shot instead of Wilshere

Would like to see Diop given at least 60 minutes, so he can start against Newcastle

• Top dollar team
    Who we playing?
  • Fornals & Noble in midfield
  • Bournemouth

Your joking
  • West Ham XI: Martin, Johnson, Diop, Ogbonna, Cresswell, Noble, Fornals, Lazini, Bowen, Antonio, Haller
  • Subs: Trott, Balbuena, Fredericks, Masuaku, Wilshere, Snodgrass, F. Anderson, Coventry, Silva, Cullen
  • So the game were we usually play our strongest 11 except for those who are unavailable we have our Brazilian left winger on the bench. But I thought Grady was competing against him.
  • Behind already
  • Looks like Lanzini is playing alongside Noble and Fornals is wide left

Strange
  • And you can see why Moyes really wants defenders & why we desperately need a decent, consistent CB.
  • All our CBs do is foul.