Pre Season

Comments

• To be fair we shouldn’t have a second rate midfield and expect to be able to compete.

Ask any side to play their 3rd/4th/5th choice midfielders in midfield & they struggle.

It’s that simple.
  • We may not have a full strength team out but it's a possible side , should we suffer injuries. It just shows we require strength in depth
  • edited August 2020

Hamstew said:

I get that but it's also a second rate midfield for Brentford.

That just isnt true

Obviously they are missing Watkins and Benrahma, but the other 9 players started the playoff final and are part if their best XI
    Well I was just talking about the midfield and I think it is true because we are a prem team and they are championship. If ours is second rate there's should be below. Imo it should anyway. Especially with no Benrahma.

Imo we are only missing Soucek as I don't think we'll see Rice again anyway.
  • Said on the other thread that I'd be happy if we made a move for Henry

Hes just showed why, really positive play and aggressive cross has got them level

Cresswell on the other hand is terrified every time he gets into the final 3rd

I watched Henry during the playoffs, he's good going forward but defending he wasn't much better than what we already have.
  • edited August 2020
    Look I get that it's a friendly and we don't have our first team out in the main. I'm the last to overreact for a friendly as I'll save that for the league. But we do still have Noble and Wilshire in the middle and are being outpassed there. They'll be a playing a part in the season to come more than likely.
    I'm still not sure what Fornals role is.
  • Hamstew said:

Hamstew said:

I get that but it's also a second rate midfield for Brentford.

That just isnt true

Obviously they are missing Watkins and Benrahma, but the other 9 players started the playoff final and are part if their best XI
    Well I was just talking about the midfield and I think it is true because we are a prem team and they are championship. If ours is second rate there's should be below. Imo it should anyway. Especially with no Benrahma.

Imo we are only missing Soucek as I don't think we'll see Rice again anyway.
    So by that logic unless West Brom, Leeds and Fulham buy an entire new XI then they will all go down as they have a championship team (and Sheffield United have a championship team)

This is a team who should've been automatically promoted but in truth they bottled it

They have a good team, why should our 2nd string be better than their first?

Are we not all praising the signing of Bowen, and lamenting the fact we missed out on Eze.....but now all of a sudden the 3rd best team in the championship is just a team full of championship players and are beneath us...can't have it both ways
  • they are by passing us too easily. we may not have our first choice midfield out there but they should be able to compete with the opposition easily. not impressed with anyone in our side at the moment
  • Looks like

Fab
    Fredericks Balbuena Oggy Masuaku
    Cullen Soucek
    Bowen Lanzini Anderson
    Antonio
  • edited August 2020
    We'll West Brom, Leeds and Fulham are better imo so there's that. Brentford's best midfield player isn't playing. Bowen isn't on the pitch at the moment so don't know what he's got to do with anything. I'm talking about the middle so again Bowen wouldn't be there.
    If you look back on the transfer thread you'll see I never said we should be signing Eze and that we need other positions so I'm certainly not lamenting that. We pay players like Wilshire god knows how much money so would like to see him play better.
  • Don't see the fuss about Rico Henry looks good going forward, looks a bit suspect at the back. Sounds very much like Fredericks when we first got him.
  • Hamstew said:

We'll West Brom, Leeds and Fulham are better imo so there's that. Bowen isn't on the pitch at the moment so don't know what he's got to do with anything. I'm talking about the middle so again Bowen wouldn't be there.
    If you look back on the transfer thread you'll see I never said we should be signing Eze and that we need other positions so I'm certainly not lamenting that. We pay players like Wilshire god knows how much money so would like to see him play better.

You said Brentfords Midfield is second rate as they are just a "championship team" and we are a Prem team....although they are playing their starting 3 centre midfielders and we are missing our best 2...one of which has just scored now he's on the pitch...so I pointing out that there midfield isn't second rate just because they are championship team or so is Sheff Uniteds, Leeds, WBA and Fulhams

Brentford, WBA and Fulham had 2 points between them, so even if they are better its marginal

You said theirs is weaker especially with no Benrahma, a winger, just like Bowen so either include both or neither when assessing the midfielders
  • edited August 2020

I don't mean they are second rate as they are championship I'd like to think players like Noble Fornals and Wilshere are rated higher than any or most at Brentford. That midfielder of ours scoring proves my point that we are too reliant on him and Rice.

I don't really understand why you are trying to dig me out. All I said was we are being outpassed by Brentford when we have the likes of Noble Wilshere and Fornals in the midfield. I'm concerned by it and you won't change my mind.
  • It's a friendly. They mean nothing.
  • THIS defending how many times have Brentford put it in and we have failed to get a head on the ball and it has become pinball in the penalty area. Moyes needs to sort that out asap.
  • edited August 2020
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Disappointed we didn't start with Bowen and Diangana but it gives me something to look forward to
  • Antonio 😭
  • Antonio limping off

10 week spell on the sidelines upcoming no doubt
  • Hamstew said:

I don't mean they are second rate as they are championship I'd like to think players like Noble
    Fornals and Wilshere are rated higher than any at Brentford. That midfielder of ours scoring proves my point that we are too reliant on him and Rice.

I don't really understand why you are trying to dig me out. All I said was we are being outpassed by Brentford when we have the likes of Noble Wilshere and Fornals in the midfield. I'm concerned by it and you won't change my mind.

Then write that first time around then

Because calling a team second rate when they arent just seems like a pointless dig and a chance to be negative

Dont want to change your mind, but don't know what you are expecting, us to have 2 top class players in every position and not be reliant on our best players? Every team barring Man City are reliant on someone
  • Mads Sørensen? Your parents named you Mads?
  • edited August 2020

Hamstew said:

I don't mean they are second rate as they are championship I'd like to think players like Noble
    Fornals and Wilshere are rated higher than any at Brentford. That midfielder of ours scoring proves my point that we are too reliant on him and Rice.

Because calling a team second rate when they arent just seems like a pointless dig and a chance to be negative

Dont want to change your mind, but don't know what you are expecting, us to have 2 top class players in every position and not be reliant on our best players? Every team barring Man City are reliant on someone
    I'll write what I want (within site rules) Luke said our midfield is second rate consisting of Wilshere Fornals and Noble then I have every right to say I think Brentford's are in comparison to ours.
  • Wilshere and Noble would struggle against most teams, and often do.
  • Hamstew said:

Hamstew said:

I'll write what I want (within site rules) Luke said our midfield is second rate consisting of Wilshere Fornals and Noble then I have every right to say I think Brentford's are in comparison to ours.
    Second rate because we weren't playing our 2 best centre midfielders whereas Brentford are playing their 3 best

So I wont change my mind either, think that it's was a negative comment for negative sake
  • IronHerb said:

Wilshere and Noble would struggle against most teams, and often do.

Of course they do that's why I said it's a concern
  • Antonio limping off

10 week spell on the sidelines upcoming no doubt

Inevitable. Bit more pressure on the board now to find some money from somewhere. Simply cannot rely on Antonio to stay fit, so there has to be a back-up option.
  • edited August 2020
    Gotta agree with Ham

At the end of the season we were playing Noble in the hole with Rice and Soucek behind him, his days as a DM are pretty much over. Wilshere isn't much of a DM and Fornals most definitely isn't so today we started with a midfield of three "hole" players.
  • edited August 2020

Hamstew said:

Hamstew said:

Second rate because we weren't playing our 2 best centre midfielders whereas Brentford are playing their 3 best

So I wont change my mind either, think that it's was a negative comment for negative sake
    Yes I also think it was a negative comment. But not for the sake of it, it's a forum and was expressing a thought.
  • If we passed the ball forward as well as we do backwards we might get somewhere. where are those players who are supposed to be able to take the full backs on? i think Antonio was the only one to do it today
  • edited August 2020
    Today, when Antonio limped off (with Haller already off) gave a real insight (a worrying one) into what we would look like with no forwards on the pitch.
  • Thought Cullen looked good.
  • Also thought Yarmo did okay put himself about a bit .....And did i see the lesser spotted Anderson back helping the defence a couple of times