Pre Season

Comments

• Lanzini. Best player in the world by a country mile.
  • edited August 2020
    Haller puts us 1-0 up, after good work from Grady

Latest:
    Ipswich 0-1 West Ham (Haller)
    Wycombe 1-4 West Ham HT (Masuaku, OG, Lanzini, Bowen)
  • So 4-1 to us agaisnt wycombe, pretty much dominated apart from a set piece goal conceeded

1-0 against Ipswich, Haller getting a late goal supplied by Diangana where there hasnt been much in it
  • Good to see Lanzini get a goal ,And Haller ,Just need to keep a clean sheet in the Ipswich game ,Then we dont have to sign anyone =)
  • Beside the scoreline, some good positives

Baptiste is only 17 but barring a slip in the first 2 minutes, hes been very bright. He looks like a fantastic prospect and one to keep an eye on

Lanzini and to a lesser extent Yarmolenko, have looked very good and well up for a fight for their place, as both are arguably ones we would move on with the tight bid

I have no problem missing out on Eze if we can keep Diangana, the guy has been fantastic he offers width, pace and trickery on the left hand side

Early days, but the fitness levels and sharpness is already impressive in both games
  • 5-1 in the Wycombe game now. Bowen with a tidy finish from a nice team move.
  • Haller with his second v Ipswich. 2-0
  • We're winning the league this year
  • Another Diangana assist

Bowen gets his second against Wycombe
  • Diangana will be like a new signing, bet we sell him then
  • Haller hat-trick. 3-1 (Freddie Sears with the Ipswich goal)
  • We’ve never lost two games at the same time before. This will be a new experience.

We've never won two games at the same time before. This will be a new experience.

4-1, soucek got a goal before Hallers hat trick

4-1, soucek got a goal before Hallers hat trick
    We really are massive
  • Is that the Champions League anthem I hear in the distance...
  • Lukerz said:

Is that the Champions League anthem I hear in the distance...

Perhaps somewhere over the rainbow.......... O.o
  • Lukerz said:

Is that the Champions League anthem I hear in the distance...

Perhaps somewhere over the rainbow.......... O.o
    It was just the TV, got the final highlights on & I was in the kitchen.
  • I know its was only league 1 teams, but loved to see all the young players today

Alese and Baptiste were great in both games. If you look at Akinola and Cardoso coming off the bench, youd like to think that at least 1 of these 4 could be a good centre cack option for us at some point, hopefully more than just 1

And again I know it's only preseason, but I loved seeing Lanzini look a bit more like his old self today. I am a huge fan of Manu, and have been since he joined but he really has regressed over the last 24 months....but today he looked sharp, quick, strong and while a few things didnt come off he looked confident

A fit and inform Lanzini is an asset imo (I mean Liverpool were after him apparently when coutinho left) so I hope he can build on it this preseason

Moyes said he is more concerned about improving what we already have, so Lanzini is one of those who hasnt been playing to the fullest
  • Six points per 90 minutes is the new benchmark
  • Highlights from the Ipswich match are now available here: (Portuguese commentary).

Diangana looked very impressive and throughout the match provided a wonderful service to Haller, who scored a hat-trick.
  • Thoughts after watching that:
    1. Diangana appears to have changed squad number
    2. Interesting that Conor Coventry played at right back, and also interesting that he was wearing #11 - what happened to Snoddy?!
    3. Haller is a very good finisher
    4. Haller's pass for Yarmo to hit the post was unreal
  • Impressed by how Diangana used his body for the first one. He might get stronger challenges in real games but it's something Sterling does really well, showing a bit of strength despite being small.
  • Interesting. I didn't watch that game, but my memory of Grady when he was getting time in the PL with us was that he was too lightweight. Good to know Slav has helped him improve in that regard.
  • alderz said:

Thoughts after watching that:
    2. Interesting that Conor Coventry played at right back, and also interesting that he was wearing #11 - what happened to Snoddy?!

Diangana's training tops all sport 29, so yeah, I reckon he's taking that this season (his number at West Brom). Coventry wearing 11 was odd, but there's nothing in it, if you believe Ex at least. Someone picked up that Dan Kemp had 41 and was speculating that that means Rice is taking a new number, but Ex says it was just a random allocation. Although Ben Johnson was wearing 31 which suggests he's moving up from 53, so who knows.
  • You do look at those two different teams we put out today and think we have got an awful lot of good players at the club.

I’d fancy us to have a good season if we don’t have loads of injuries, even if we don’t make many signings.
  • edited August 2020
    Re: shirt numbers - be grateful it's not their ages =)

From the first few minutes, Soucek played a suicide pass back to Wilshere that nearly led to an Ipswich goal, Haller missed a sitter, and surely the ball went out before Diangana's pass to Haller for the first goal.
  • Good to see you taking the positives Bubbles.
  • alderz said:

Thoughts after watching that:

Diangana's training tops all sport 29, so yeah, I reckon he's taking that this season (his number at West Brom). Coventry wearing 11 was odd, but there's nothing in it, if you believe Ex at least. Someone picked up that Dan Kemp had 41 and was speculating that that means Rice is taking a new number, but Ex says it was just a random allocation. Although Ben Johnson was wearing 31 which suggests he's moving up from 53, so who knows.
    I’m not convinced by this random allocation idea, when literally every other player had their normal squad number. If they all had 1-11 then sure... but they didn’t
  • edited August 2020
    alderz said:

I’m not convinced by this random allocation idea, when literally every other player had their normal squad number. If they all had 1-11 then sure... but they didn’t

I take your point, but Anang wore the No1 yesterday and Adarkwa wore 23, so unless Fab and Diop are changing numbers, it does seem like the kids picked the available shirts.
  • alderz said:

I take your point, but Anang wore the No1 yesterday and Adarkwa wore 23, so unless Fab and Diop are changing numbers, it does seem like the kids picked the available shirts.
    Yeah ok fair enough I didn’t notice that!

Conspiracy squashed