Covid19: The Football Thread

Comments

• It could become a farce very quickly, mariappa of Watford has already tested positive and will likley take time to recover and play at top level sport even if showing only mild symptoms, Troy Deeney refusing to train, and I presume play, come the time if he sticks to his view of it being unsafe and needing protect his baby son. This is Watford who are fighting relegation without arguably their most influential player.
  • edited May 2020
    Spurs will fine Serge Aurier for failing to follow physical distancing rules for a third time

On Tuesday evening he posted photos of himself getting a haircut on Instagram. Before that he'd posted Instagrams of himself jogging with a friend and then training with Moussa Sissoko, after which he and Sissoko offered a joint apology.

He was tested for Covid-19 and for whether he had a single working brain cell

Both were negative

Jordan Ibe is another player stupid enough to post photos of himself getting a haircut on Instagram and three weeks ago he was caught driving despite being banned for 16 months in March. He's out of contract at the end of the month, let's not sign him on a free.

I think I understand why footballers need agents for contract negotiations...
  • Yeah their not the sharpest pencil in the box.
  • edited May 2020
    Tonight 7:30pm West Berlin v East Berlin, Hertha v Union, 11th v 12th

Apart from 2010-11 and 2012-13 Hertha have been in the top flight since 1997. They're on their third manager this season having promoted reserve coach Ante Covic in the summer, replaced him with Jurgen Klinsmann in November and replaced him with ex-Wolfsburg, ex-Stuttgart, ex-Bayer Leverkusen, ex-Hamburger (twice) coach Bruno Labbadia during lockdown. His first match in charge was a 3-0 win away at Hoffenheim last weekend

This is Union's first season in the Bundesliga, the last time they were in the top flight there were two Germanys and they were the other side of Checkpoint Charlie. They won promotion through the playoffs and have exceeded expectations (Paderborn finished 2nd in 2 Bundesliga, currently bottom, W4 D5 L17, 17pts and still in with a chance gaining the title of fewest points in Bundesliga this century, currently held by SC Frieburg, 2004-05, W3, D9, L22 18pts).

The two Berlin teams have only met four times before this season when Hertha had been relegated to 2 Bundesliga.

Hertha suspended Salomon Kalou after he posted a video on Facebook shaking hands with other players and interrupting another player's medical. He's only made seven appearances this season, he's not even made the bench since New Year and he's out-of-contract in June.

What is it with footballers and social media?
  • Not just footballers ASLEF.
  • edited May 2020
    Just moved some discussion of signings (and not signings) to the Transfers thread http://www.whu606.com/discussion/11168/the-next-transfer-window

Can we use that one for discussions and rumours of comings and goings :cool:
  • edited May 2020
    Today's big game

Borussia Monchengladbach (3rd) v Bayer Leverkusen (5th) 2:30pm BT Sport 2

Our first chance to see the cardboard cut-out army.

Bayer's 20yo playmaker Kai Havertz made his first team debut aged 17 (he had to go to school the next day), is the youngest player to make 50 Bundesliga appearances (18 years, 307 days) and already has 7 full caps.

The 5:30pm ko is Bayern Munich (1st) v Eintracht Frankfurt (13th)

Bayern have the 2nd best home record (W9 D2 L2). Eintracht have the worst away record (W2 D1 L9) and have scored the fewest away goals (11).

It could be a little one sided...
  • Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez says La Liga can resume from Monday 8 June

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52783201
  • Really struggling to find much to like about behind closed doors games so far. A bit like watching pre season open days but with no one interested.
  • edited May 2020
    Relegation strugglers Dusseldorf 2-0 up after Rhineland rivals Cologne make an almost comical mess of a penalty

I've decided to drink beer local to the teams, at the moment its a score draw between Uerige Altbier (Dusseldorf) and Reissdorf Kolsch (Cologne) although Uerige is getting most of the possession.

Koln score a goal in the 88th minute and an equalizer in injury time but Dusseldorf win the beer match
  • ASLEF
    Kolsch is one of those beers that taste better in draught form, like any good English ale does.
    I've drank quite a few in Koln when visiting German friends. The only trouble is that it's served in small glasses (25cl I think) so you need to order at least 2 at a time :biggrin:
  • The last time I visited Cologne in the 80s, I vaguely remember very small glasses
  • I've also remembered that you got a beer mat, the waiter would mark it with a pen every time you got a beer and when you settled up they'd count the number of marks on your beer mat.

Apparently both Kolsch and Altbier are "top fermented" like ale, rather than lagers which are "bottom fermented" (I'm not even going to pretend I understand the difference) and both are served in small glasses

Must be a Rhineland thing...
  • Kölsch is terrible. I prefer Alt although given the choice I would usually drink something that doesn't come in the size of a class the doctor gives you if he needs a sample. :yercoat:

I've been to the Ührige and it was quite nice. I had about 6 beers that evening and the next day I felt a little strange. Doesn't happen with other beers.
  • 5:30 pm Borussia Dortmund (2) v Bayern Munich (1) with 4pts separating them.

On Saturday Eintracht Frankfurt were awarded a total of two corners against Bayern and scored from both. I'm sure Dortmund will have take note.

And naturally I'll be working...
  • I see Bournemouth’s keeper tested negative last week but positive this week so it’s a moving target.
  • Seems that neutral grounds may be the best option. Has there been more than one home win in the German league so far?
  • Maybe it’s the novelty of it all but right now I’m actually preferring the games being played behind closed doors.

Def reminds me of pre season but am enjoying the genuine audio of players staff etc
  • Seems that neutral grounds may be the best option. Has there been more than one home win in the German league so far?

22 games played, 3 home wins, 7 draws, 12 away wins

5 of those away wins were teams at the top against teams at the bottom so not unexpected
  • With football looking increasingly likely to come back

Our final 9 fixtures to hold onto PL football.

West Ham vs Wolves
    Spurs vs West Ham
    West Ham vs Chelsea
    Newcastle vs West Ham
    West Ham vs Burnley
    Norwich vs West Ham
    West Ham vs Watford
    Man U vs West Ham
    West Ham vs Aston Villa
  • Sorted.
  • :weep: :weep: Going down ,I tell you ,Going down :weep: :weep:

:hmm: But then again we might stay up :thumbsup:

• At our home games, do you think the players will still walk out to I’m forever blowing bubbles without the crowd? :hmm:
  • At our home games, do you think the players will still walk out to I’m forever blowing bubbles without the crowd? :hmm:

In the Bundesliga they're still playing "walk out" music, etc.

When RB Leipzig scored yesterday they played "I feel good" by James Brown
  • Premier League to resume on Wednesday 17 June

Aston Villa v Sheffield United
    Manchester City v Arsenal

All matches will be free to TV

Kick off times

Friday: 20:00
    Saturday: 12:30, 15:00, 17:30 and 20:00
    Sunday: 12:00, 14:00, 16:30 and 19:00
    Monday: 20:00
    Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday: 18:00 and 20:00

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52833725
  • :sofa:
  • https://www.football.london/premier-league/premier-league-key-matches-played-18326580

Any thoughts where we might play the Spurs & Chelsea matches if this is correct?
  • "A previous proposal for all the remaining 92 matches to be played behind closed doors was widely opposed by clubs but The Times reports that a number of matches could still be played in this format."

Well that makes sense. :doh:
  • edited May 2020
    I thought they were still all being planned to be played behind closed doors?
  • edited May 2020
    All closed doors yes. But not necessarily all neutral venues. Article is a bit confusing.