Covid19: The Football Thread

Comments

• Hamstew said:

But it would be the same if they keep relegation?

I say end the season now in the main. Don't relegate anyone. Promote the top 2 teams from the leagues below. Scrap the cups next season to fit in all the games. For the the 3rd place teams maybe try and sort a playoff situation at neutral venues with no final. 2 games in a mini league with someone wining the league. Wouldnt this upset the least amount of teams?

I don't think you will get 14 clubs to vote for expanding the Premier League from 20 to 23 and the season has to finish before mid-July in order to decide who plays in Europe (unless UEFA make changes).

A mini league involving the four teams in playoff positions would require six matches, the playoffs require five including the final.
    No that's not what I'm saying but my maths was wrong lol. 3 matches. One game against each team at a neutral venue. No final. A mini league table.

Regarding your other point yes this is a problem but this may be a way to upset the least amount of teams possible.
  • Hamstew said:

I say end the season now in the main. Don't relegate anyone. Promote the top 2 teams from the leagues below. Scrap the cups next season to fit in all the games.

The Cups are a source of revenue (now much needed) to lower league teams. It might be better if instead of scrapping them, the PL just didn't take part. (It would be PL under your scenario that would have fixture congestion ... or are you thining this solution for Champo too?)

Other advantages - slightly bigger league = more games = bonus for TV companies who will lose revenue if the current comp is stopped (and maybe they wouldn't ask clubs to pay back so much?).

Potential problem - if you relegate 6 next time round, will they all get parachute payments?
  • It was for all leagues really. That was my thinking anyway. Regarding relegation it could be done gradually. So 4 teams the first season and so on.
  • For Playoffs I would like to see the one just missing automatic promotion from the lower league play the one just avoiding automatic relegation from the higher league at a neutral venue. Winner goes/stays top, loser goes/stays down.

On Cups, I would keep the FA Cup, but not let any club involved in Europe enter the League Cup (or whatever it's called this week).

I would like to see both of these irrespective of COVID-19.
  • edited May 2020
    Hamstew said:

No that's not what I'm saying but my maths was wrong lol. 3 matches. One game against each team at a neutral venue. No final. A mini league table.

Regarding your other point yes this is a problem but this may be a way to upset the least amount of teams possible.

Er???????

The teams currently in the playoff place are Fulham, Brentford, Nottingham Forest and Preston North End

Mini League

1) Fulham v Brentford
    2) Forest v PNE

3) Fulham v Forest
    4) Brentford v PNE

5) Fulham v PNE
    6) Brentford v Forest

Playoffs

Semis
    1) PNE v Fulham
    2) Forest v Brentford

3) Fulham v PNE
    4) Brentford v Forest

Final
    5) ????? v ?????

So a mini league would require one more game than the playoffs and could still end up with the winner being decided on GD

Can't see how that is better than what they already have.
    Dodger58 said:

On Cups, I would keep the FA Cup, but not let any club involved in Europe enter the League Cup (or whatever it's called this week).

The problem there is that the winner of the League Cup gets a Europa League place and UEFA wouldn't agree to that. We'd have to take the Europa League place away from the League Cup and give it to whoever finished 7th (or 8th?)
  • Hamstew said:

Er???????

The teams currently in the playoff place are Fulham, Brentford, Nottingham Forest and Preston North End

Mini League

1) Fulham v Brentford
    2) Forest v PNE

3) Fulham v Forest
    4) Brentford v PNE

5) Fulham v PNE
    6) Brentford v Forest

Playoffs

Semis
    1) PNE v Fulham
    2) Forest v Brentford

3) Fulham v PNE
    4) Brentford v Forest

Final
    5) ????? v ?????

So a mini league would require one more game than the playoffs and could still end up with the winner being decided on GD

Can't see how that is better than what they already have.
    Dodger58 said:

The problem there is that the winner of the League Cup gets a Europa League place and UEFA wouldn't agree to that. We'd have to take the Europa League place away from the League Cup and give it to whoever finished 7th (or 8th?)
    Lol sorry you are correct. I've lost my marbles a bit. The playoffs could be kept as they are I guess then but just played at neutral grounds with only one leg and a final. So 2 games. I got there in the end.
  • Understand what is being said, but if we shouldn’t have football for health reasons, or shouldn’t play at neutral grounds, surely having play-offs destroys these arguements?
  • edited May 2020

Dodger58 said:

Understood Aslef. But the big advantage (if UEFA didn't object) would be the opportunity for a NEW club to qualify for the Europa League each year, rather than the same Clubs every year.

The other point is that those involved in Europe often don't take the Cup seriously anyway, so why make them enter. It would reduce the fixture congestion for the clubs in Europe, whilst also enabling those involved to schedule the matches without having to worry about clashing with European fixtures.
  • edited May 2020
    People keep bandying compromise about, saying there will have to be give & take; clubs will have to accept the best of bad options if we want to get back to playing & completing the season.

But the emphasis on compromise seems to be on the PL clubs only. There doesn't seem to be any compromise from the PL at all. Neutral grounds, quarantine living & training conditions, regular testing.

So the PL is going to have to compromise too, & if that means their league is going to basically be a dead rubber for the final completely fake league fixtures, then so be it.

If they want clubs back playing, accepting neutral venues, no supporters, accepting the goalposts being altered after signing up for a very different set of rules, accepting that players lives & wellbeing are going to be put at risk, clubs futures...then the PL is going to have to accept some compromise on their side &, at the moment, it doesn't seem like they have even considered this prospect.

Then there is the prospect of the PL threatening clubs with a "well if you don't agree, we will have to establish how we calculate final positions, & you could well suffer for that".

It's really simple, you look in the PL handbook, the rules & guidance, of which there must be a hundred page document, & you find the section that says "in the event that any PL season cannot be finished after it has begun, then....................will happen to conclude the season & establish final league positions'.

I can guarantee you there is no such section, so to make one up now is complete rubbish.
  • edited May 2020
    Football can start behind closed doors from 1 June at the earliest but no spectators will be allowed until a vaccine is available.
  • Dodger58 said:

Understood Aslef. But the big advantage (if UEFA didn't object) would be the opportunity for a NEW club to qualify for the Europa League each year, rather than the same Clubs every year.

That isn't what UEFA want and from the recent proposals they want to make it even harder for "new" clubs to qualify.
    Dodger58 said:

The other point is that those involved in Europe often don't take the Cup seriously anyway, so why make them enter.

Really?

Since 2013 both Cups have been won by one of the "Big Six". Man City have won the League Cup five times in the last seven seasons and last season they won both. There doesn't seem to be much evidence that clubs involved in Europe are not taking cups seriously.
  • Football can start behind closed doors from 1 June at the earliest but no spectators will be allowed until a vaccine is available.

So that could well be never then?
  • If that’s how it pans out it could be season 2021/22.
  • Football can start behind closed doors from 1 June at the earliest but no spectators will be allowed until a vaccine is available.

Have you got a reliable source for that?

From what I've read in the newly-issued government document, it is linked to either a vaccine or improvements in available/effective treatments.
  • The games are going to get played behind closed doors, at the end of the day money is what is spinning all of this. As soon as the FA say well we will be relegating XYZ club on the basis of (whichever method) those 3 clubs that would essentially go down, will all be in favour of neutral venues to give themselves a shot of staying up. That's all the PL have to do is probably persuade 3 of those bottom 6 clubs to switch and its game on and that's the easiest way to do it via a little leak of this is what will happen....
  • MrsGrey said:

Have you got a reliable source for that?

From what I've read in the newly-issued government document, it is linked to either a vaccine or improvements in available/effective treatments.

From OUR PLAN TO REBUILD: The UK Government’s COVID-19 recovery strategy

Page 30 "Step Two"

"the Government's current aim is that the second step will be made no earlier than Monday 1 June, subject to these conditions being satisfied.......Permitting cultural and sporting events to take place behind closed-doors for broadcast, while avoiding the risk of large-scale social contact"

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/884171/FINAL_6.6637_CO_HMG_C19_Recovery_FINAL_110520_v2_WEB__1_.pdf
  • At today’s meeting PL clubs expressed they’d prefer home and away games if season restarts. This will be put to the authorities
    Also for the first time they discussed cancelling this season if the difficulties cannot be overcome.
  • Aslef, I was referring to the fan attendance, not the resumption of behind-closed-doors games. :ok:
  • I wonder what the bookies would price up for the likely outcomes?

Void season no promotions or relegations 6-4
    Plays out to its natural conclusion 5-2
    Void season promotions but no relegations on current standings 4-1
    Void season promotions and relegations on current standings 16-1
    Season predicted using previous performance formula 50-1
    Boris decides the outcome on the advice of Dominic Cummings 500-1

• Void season promotions but no relegations on current standings 4-1

This is what I reckon will happen, although it's ridiculous to promote clubs if the season is voided imo. However, in a way it's the path of least resistance if the season can't be completed as it's the least chance of litigation from someone unhappy at the outcome. Personally I'd just tell Leeds and West Brom to get stuffed; it's tough, but c'est la vie if the season can't be completed, but my guess would be that the decision makers will be too scared of litigation to stand firm.
  • edited May 2020
    MrsGrey said:

Aslef, I was referring to the fan attendance, not the resumption of behind-closed-doors games. :ok:

Ahhhhhhhh. Page 21 says

"it is likely that reopening indoor public spaces and leisure facilities (such as gyms and cinemas), premises whose core purpose is social interaction (such as nightclubs), venues that attract large crowds (like sports stadia), and personal care establishments where close contact is inherent (like beauty salons) may only be fully possible significantly later depending on the reduction in numbers of infections"

Then later on Page 31 under "Step 3" (The Government's current planning assumption is that this step will be no earlier than 4 July)

"The ambition at this step is to open at least some of the remaining businesses and premises that have been required to close, including personal care (such as hairdressers and beauty salons) hospitality (such as food service providers, pubs and accommodation), public places (such as places of worship) and leisure facilities (like cinemas).

They should also meet the COVID-19 Secure guidelines. Some venues which are, by design, crowded and where it may prove difficult to enact distancing may still not be able to re-open safely at this point, or may be able to open safely only in part. Nevertheless the Government will wish to open as many businesses and public places as the data and information at the time allows.

In order to facilitate the fastest possible re-opening of these types of higher-risk businesses and public places, the Government will carefully phase and pilot re-openings to test their ability to adopt the new COVID-19 Secure guidelines. The Government will also monitor carefully the effects of reopening other similar establishments elsewhere in the world, as this happens. The Government will establish a series of taskforces to work closely with stakeholders in these sectors to develop ways in which they can make these businesses and public places COVID-19 Secure."

So no actual specifics, more like "wait and see". Very much like Boris's speech on Sunday - as clear as mud.
  • is the Championship still playing games ? everyone keeps saying West Brom and Leeds to get promoted but the Championship might still play out.
  • :nonono: No not Leeds something must be done to stop them from coming up
  • Same as the Premier League, waiting to see if they can resume although they're looking at reducing the playoffs to two semis and a final at neutral venues, possibly Bolton and MK Dons

And you can't get more neutral than Milton Keynes :biggrin:
  • That's from the Boris playbook - for all you oiks on the tube, maybe stand back to back. It'll be fine.
  • Back to back, side by side or facing away does substantially reduce exposure and risk but they might just as well tell players to give the ball to your opponent if you’re going to be tackled. If both players turn away there’s a potential risk of Injury
  • I gets more ridiculous by the day

No, wait, the minute
  • I wonder what the advise will be when marking at corners.
  • Guidance suggest goalkeepers should not attempt to save the ball, due to risk of infection, & instead allow it to roll into the net.

Roberto was practising that advice for months.