Covid19: The Football Thread

Comments

• Even if they were allowed on health grounds halfway through the season, would it be fair that we played say Villa at home with no fans, but had to play them away when fans were allowed?

That's the scenario we are looking at for playing out the rest of this season, isn't it, in principle?

I suppose the thing to note is that if (using your example) if we are playing Villa at home with no fans, in a subsequent match, Villa are playing at home with no fans (though not against us, obvs) so now they are disadvantages in respect of their opponent.

It works both ways, and I don't think it's a strong argument against not playing out the rest of the season. imo.
  • Imo, if the season is continued and clubs are relegated, there will be litigation. If there is no relegation, there is no point playing the rest of the games. So just write the season off and start next season with the same teams in the same leagues.
  • MrsGrey said:

I suppose the thing to note is that if (using your example) if we are playing Villa at home with no fans, in a subsequent match, Villa are playing at home with no fans (though not against us, obvs) so now they are disadvantages in respect of their opponent.

It works both ways, and I don't think it's a strong argument against not playing out the rest of the season. imo.

It doesn't at all work both ways imo, we would expect more from a home game against Villa than against Liverpool or City, so it makes a huge difference how the fixtures fall.
  • edited May 2020
    That wasn't really what I was saying - I was pointing out that the disadvantage to us is no greater than the disadvantage to Villa when they play (say) Norwich under the same circumstances.

Of course, as you say, the way the fixtures fall can make a difference to the rate at which you accrue points over a season. But I still think that unless the whole season is simply voided and we start again from scratch next season (or whenever), playing it out is better than using some kind of algorithm to decide final standings.
  • One of the proposed algorithms was to average out points gained per game thus far and use that for the remaining games. We would be safe. However, if they average points gained home and away separately and use that then we would be relegated.
  • Any of these basic algorithms have no chance of being used to relegate clubs imo, as they take no account of the ease of the remaining fixtures for each club. Brighton have to play all of the top 3, and only one of the bottom 6, Bournemouth have to play 2 of the top 3 and have no games against clubs in the bottom 6, whereas we don't have to play any of the top 3, and have 3 games against clubs in the bottom 6.

I know any club can beat any other, but I'd rather try and get points from Villa, Watford and Norwich than Liverpool, Man City and Leicester.

There is no way that it is remotely fair to relegate clubs on the basis of games played so far this season, especially when things are so tight and there is such a big difference in the ease of the remaining fixtures. Lawsuits aplenty if we got relegated with the games played so far.
  • relegating teams with games still to play would make the Tevez payouts look like children's pocket money.

• See Watford have made a statement
  • A team from Bundesliga2 is in quarantine and their upcoming match postponed.
  • MrsGrey said:

A team from Bundesliga2 is in quarantine and their upcoming match postponed.

Yep just read that. As we said. Stop, start etc..
  • MrsGrey said:

A team from Bundesliga2 is in quarantine and their upcoming match postponed.

The whole squad in quarantine completely compromises the integrity of the remaining fixtures if other teams are able to train freely. Even less chance of avoiding something similar here given the higher level of infection compared to Germany.
  • edited May 2020
    Yep. Same has happened in Italy too.

Germany have managed to put a plan in place, but it’s highly unlikely to be completed.

They also have a plan that does not involve neutral venues, so why the PL can’t do something similar I am not sure.

The only way of any slither of integrity being maintained is that you play: twice a week (not a team playing four games to get them done), you give the players a months mini pre-season, they all play at their correct home grounds (home & away is maintained, albeit behind closed doors) & the fixtures are kept as they were when we suspended football. If any player of any club tests positive, the competition is postponed, so that club does not then fall behind other teams in preparation or/& fitness. You can see the obvious stop/start nature of this though.

If that can’t be arranged (not possible), the season is ended, & then you have to decide how to conclude it.
  • https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52592390

BBC Sport has looked back over the previous 10 Premier League seasons to see how much has changed in the final nine games to get a sense of whether those matches actually tend to impact on the table.
  • Another Brighton player tested positive
  • South Korea tightening restrictions again after a warning of a second wave of infections. I cant see how it can possible for the premier league to even contemplate a return any time soon. I dont know what the answer is but there'll be unhappy clubs and appealing all over the place
  • edited May 2020
    9:42am

Even less chance of avoiding something similar here given the higher level of infection compared to Germany.

Lol, I'm psychic

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52605961

As Hamstew says, another Brighton player tests positive.

• League will go ahead with finishing the season anyway its too much of a cash cow to not do it.

There will only be opposition to it when clubs get relegated and if and when that happens if those clubs voted against the proposals initially it will turn into a whirlwind.
  • So what are all the different scenarios for relegation PPG/current league standings etc ?
  • edited May 2020
    It's an impossible thing to decide in any way whatsoever. Look at our great escape season we were 11 points off of safety, sitting bottom of the table with 20 points after 29 games.

We went on to win seven of the last nine games and avoid the drop. How can you legislate for that ???

End the season now !!!

My Liverpool supporting local butcher says he's happily end the season now with or without the title if it only saved one life. Hats off to him :ok:
  • So what are all the different scenarios for relegation PPG/current league standings etc ?

If the league stops now and straightforward Points Per Game average is used then: -

Brighton 38.00 -8
    West Ham 35.38 -15
    Watford 35.38 -17
    Bournemouth 35.38 -18
    Villa 33.93 -22
    Norwich 27.52 -27

If enhanced home and away Points Per Game average is used then: -

Brighton 38.36
    Watford 35.74
    Bournemouth 35.74
    West Ham 35.56
    Villa 34.98
    Norwich 27.96

:weep:
  • edited May 2020
    yoyo said:

South Korea tightening restrictions again after a warning of a second wave of infections.

The K League kicked off their season this weekend

S Korea didn't need a huge lockdown, instead they have extensive testing and tracing. Out of a population of 52m they've had 10.8k recorded cases with 256 deaths

And they won 4 Oscars (the film was okay...)

Maybe we should eat more kimchi...
  • I see the R rate in Germany has risen above 1 since lockdown eased.
  • Wonder how the football talks will go seeing as the reintroduction of sports will come when the Risk level Is down to 1 ie R = 0 and vaccine available.
  • Is 'sports' = 'general population playing sport' or 'professional sport a job that can't be done from home'

It's all hopelessly vague.
  • Level 1 states “Sports events return, vulnerable leave home. Only likely with vaccine. R number approaching 0“

To me it suggests that this covers professional team sports etc but we will see after the talks this week.
  • Could mean fans can go to sports events. It's all so ridiculously uninformative.
  • A report on the BBC suggests there will be a vote on neutral ground being used and 14 of the 20 must agree, It must be very unlikely that any of the bottom six would agree so only one other club would need oppose the move for it to be killed off.

The other vote is for player contracts to be extended until the end of the season whenever that may be. This I presume is only from the club side as any player will be free to leave when his contract expires should he wish to.

• On Tuesday Football League Chairman Rick Parry warned that if the Premier League scraps relegation this season "lawyers are going to get wealthy".

Next PL meeting today at 10:30am.
  • edited May 2020

On Tuesday Football League Chairman Rick Parry warned that if the Premier League scraps relegation this season "lawyers are going to get wealthy".

Next PL meeting today at 10:30am.

But it would be the same if they keep relegation?

I say end the season now in the main. Don't relegate anyone. Promote the top 2 teams from the leagues below. Scrap the cups next season to fit in all the games. For the the 3rd place teams maybe try and sort a playoff situation at neutral venues with no final. 2 games in a mini league with someone wining the league. Maybe even increase this to a few teams outside if the playoffs. Wouldnt this upset the least amount of teams?
  • Hamstew said:

But it would be the same if they keep relegation?

I say end the season now in the main. Don't relegate anyone. Promote the top 2 teams from the leagues below. Scrap the cups next season to fit in all the games. For the the 3rd place teams maybe try and sort a playoff situation at neutral venues with no final. 2 games in a mini league with someone wining the league. Wouldnt this upset the least amount of teams?

I don't think you will get 14 clubs to vote for expanding the Premier League from 20 to 23 and the season has to finish before mid-July in order to decide who plays in Europe (unless UEFA make changes).

A mini league involving the four teams in playoff positions would require six matches, the playoffs require five including the final.