Covid19: The Football Thread

Comments

• Haven't really heard much about what players and managers think about this. What the PFA said?

I saw an interview where Lampard said he'd feel uncomfortable having regular testing for football staff before there's widespread testing elsewhere.
  • No tackling, and training in groups of no more than 5. This is supposed to equate to a pre-season to get players back up and running? Really is beyond a joke

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52635005
  • It appears to be getting beyond a joke now and really should be accepted that no satisfying conclusion can be achieved. I feel it is better to void the season now and rather than spend the energy trying to make this season play out begin to formulate a way to wrap it up with least harm and begin to think ahead to bringing about a new season that can hopefully begin in August or September.

• According to a report in the telegraph players will be told to turn their face away after being tackled.
    In the heat of a game how many players are going to remember to do that.?
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/05/12/premier-league-tell-players-play-now-risk-no-football-next-year/
  • Unlike Nigel Winterburn who turned his face away before being tackled by DiCanio.
  • They say they are going to disinfect pitches ??? How on earth are they going to do that

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52635005
  • What's Luis Suarez going to do now he can't bite anyone? :hmm:
  • They say they are going to disinfect pitches ??? How on earth are they going to do that

Disinfectant instead of water in the sprinklers :wink:

The Donald can probably answer that for you. :whistle:
  • When training resumes everything is to be disinfected including pitches, balls, corner flags, goalposts etc.
    Apart from the pitches none of these should be handled by the players wherever possible.
    If this applies in matches what happens with throw ins? Will the players have to wear gloves or will they just be able to kick the ball to their nearest team mate.
  • I think the clue is in 'wherever possible'.
  • BBC reporting
    Meanwhile, the Premier League confirmed clubs had decided that short-term contract extensions could be agreed with players whose deals run out on 30 June, with the season set to go beyond that date.

Clubs and players will now have until 23 June to agree extensions which run until whenever the campaign is scheduled to finish.
  • Mrs G you’re not really answering the question. As during training no matches can be played there shouldn’t be throw ins so it’s but in matches there are usually dozens every game.
    Players are concerned about resuming where there are possibilities of infection. Some of those are our players as Noble was one of two captains who raised concerns on behalf of his players.
    I know players are going to be tested but between testing and playing they could show signs.
    I am in the ONS testing group and am currently being tested every week until the end of May and then every month until next year to see how the disease manifests and spreads so it’s obvious you can be negative one week and then positive the next. I’m in the vulnerable age group and don’t see anybody from one week to the next except for a weekly visit to the local Tesco at night when it’s virtually empty and for daily exercise but they must consider it worthwhile to include me in the study.
  • Further to my other post I see that Troy Deeney has said he’s not prepared to put football before the health of his family and would rather go broke than do that. He’s against rushing to restart. SSN said that Deeney and Noble were the most vocal critics of Project Restart.
  • Being cynical but West Ham and Watford have a lot to lose by resuming the league.
  • League Two ended & weighted PPG used to determine final standings, according to BBC.
  • EFL confirm unweighted PPG to determine League Two standings, with the prospect of promotion & relegation to be determined, but preference was for relegation to the National League to be removed.
  • Lukerz,

Where does that leave Barrow or the other teams from the National League who were in the shake up for promotion to League Two via the Play offs? No relegation is a throw back to the seventies when the league were able not to elect to promote a team from the non league.
  • Mrs G you’re not really answering the question.

Ok.

You asked:
    If this applies in matches what happens with throw ins?

Answer, I don't think it will apply in matches. And if it does, I don't know what will happen.

You asked :
    Will the players have to wear gloves or will they just be able to kick the ball to their nearest team mate.

My answer. I don't know if they will have to do one or the other, or indeed something else altogether.
  • Mrs G that’s about the answer I expected in the first place ie nobody knows and I expect least of all the authorities.
    When training restarts they’re expected to keep social distance and prepare for games to restart. As Deeney said with Watford they have 11 players in the box so how will that work. This is effectively a pre season but clubs can not prepare properly and to me it seems the matches will be a virtual lottery.
    If they’re insistent on completing the league then they should just forget about it until it’s safe to play normally and then complete the league.
    I can see something go seriously wrong if they rush into this.
  • League 1 and League 2 did not want to resume the season behind closed doors because the clubs are reliant on ticket sales not TV revenue.

Premier League and Championship aren't in the same financial situation
  • Ausburg's new head coach Heiko Herrlich will miss his first match in charge. On Thursday he broke the Bundesliga's strict quarantine rules by leaving the team hotel to go buy toothpaste.
  • How many of the overseas players are actually in the UK at the moment? There's also the impact the 14 day quarantine to be considered.
  • German game day :wahoo: :wahoo: :wahoo:
  • Hertha :wahoo:
  • Hamstew said:

Hertha :wahoo:

13th, away at Hoffenheim, 9th

2:30pm BT Sports 3
  • Who says the Germans don't have a sense of humour

"You'll never walk alone" playing to empty stands

• Fußball ( :wahoo: )
  • I cancelled my BT Sport subscription when the contract expired, which was yesterday. :weep:

Mind, I don't think I want to watch German football in empty stadiums.
  • edited May 2020
    Just noticed ex-Huddersfield manager David Wagner is now at Schalke

Borussia 1-0 Erling Haaland, 19yo, 6' 4", signed in January, 13 goals in 12 games

Assist from Thorgan Hazard, Eden's younger brother