Covid19: The Football Thread

Comments

• edited May 2020
    2-0, terrible kick by the Schalke keeper, didn't make the halfway line, straight to a Dortmund player

All a bit "Roberto".

And as per usual I won't get to see the 2nd half because I've got to go to work...
  • Just watching build up to England v Cameroon with Bobby Moore bless him true legend
  • Wasn't it weird watching the game in the empty stadium.

SPOOKY
  • Spooky just wait until we have to play ,that will be spooky ……..Oh yes and the empty stadium :biggrin:
  • I imagine it will affect players differently in that some likely thrive on the crowd and a few even though clearly having managed the nerves to raise to such a level may feel more comfortable without the crowd.

Although our stadium has lost its presence somewhat it has often been spoken of just how intimidating Upton park could be. I am sure when players first make it to the top level the presence of big crowds must have its effect.
  • Erling Haaland's dad is Alf-Inge Haaland. Now I feel old...
  • And here's his dad having his career ended. :nonono:

Keane should have served time for that. :angry:
  • edited May 2020
    Thing I’ve noticed from the parts of games I’ve watched is that, apart from being weird and like watching practice matches, there’s been limited histrionics when players have been fouled and feigning injury and no baying crowds
  • I know everyone says that Keane ended Haaland’s career, but the tackle was on his right knee, and it was surgery on Haaland’s left knee that caused him to retire two years later, so it’s not strictly true.

But yes he should have served time for that.
  • edited May 2020
    Korean K-League also resumed this weekend, FC Seoul decided to put shop mannequins in the stands although some observers have suggested they might have been sex dolls

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-52702075

Borussia Mönchengladbach have 12,000 cardboard cut-outs of actual fans who have uploaded their photo for €19

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/bundesliga/news/borussia-monchengladbach-fans-pay-for-cardboard-cut-outs-charity-coronavirus-10911

https://www.seidabei-trotzdem.de/
  • Small group training starts for the PL tomorrow as agreed at today’s meeting.
  • Viewing figures for Bundesliga were not great apparently the big Dortmund game was beaten by midsomer murders got around 500k and the Sat night game got less than 200K. TBH i am not the slightly bit interested in watching it not sure I would watch PL behind closed doors game either. I see Scottish link cancelled and PPG used to decide and Hearts who were relegated threatening legal action
  • I cannot see how you can relegate a team with games left, we did it from the impossible. unless of course its spuds, they can go straight down.
  • edited May 2020

Viewing figures for Bundesliga were not great apparently the big Dortmund game was beaten by midsomer murders got around 500k and the Sat night game got less than 200K. TBH i am not the slightly bit interested in watching it not sure I would watch PL behind closed doors game either. I see Scottish link cancelled and PPG used to decide and Hearts who were relegated threatening legal action

No surprise it got better viwing figures in Germany than over here with about half a million tuning into their version of "Goals on Sunday".

I thoroughly enjoyed the first half of Dortmund v Schalke although by half time it was obvious that Dortmund were a better class, passing the ball around like City or Liverpool while Schalke chased after them.

Its not the Premier League but it fills a gap.
  • 6 positive tests across 3 clubs in the first series of tests this weekend. No info on clubs or personnel
  • One club is bound to be us :hmm: :weep:
  • Apparently none of our players
  • As the PL have not named the clubs nor the personnel involved how do you know.
  • My source
  • Nah was just something on twitter.
  • Twitter? :nonono:
  • Well I did say apparently
  • 3 cases are at Watford (1 player, 2 staff) and one is at Burnley (assistant manager). The 3rd club has yet to be named.
  • This is madness. I can't visit my daughter who lives on her own but we are moving towards physical contact on the football field. When will the money grabbers see sense? Void the season now before someone becomes seriously ill PLEASE.
  • as long as the lawsuit is less then the income lost they will play on
  • Germany have resumed their season so there's no reason we can't provided they follow similar restrictions
  • edited May 2020
    Barney said:

This is madness. I can't visit my daughter who lives on her own but ....

you aren't having daily temperature checks and medical reviews, or a test before your first visit and twice weekly tests thereafter, and being under constant supervision to ensure you don't breach social distancing.

I'm not saying I think these particular workers should be getting back to work, but there are clear reasons why you can't compare it to a social visit to someone's home.

You can meet your daughter outdoors if you keep apart - much like these players at the moment.
  • I am not sure that I agree with playing behind closed doors, it strikes me that it gives Millwall an unfair advantage ;)
  • Players will still be able to get coronavirus as they are all still living at home and thier partners/family still need to go shopping etc . I can't see players agreeing to live in isolation for two months to get the season finished yet alone the follwoing season . Players were already supposed to be social distancing etc and yet we still got 6 positive results so far . The clubs can control what the players do when they are training etc but not when they are on thier own time. In Germany they stayed in hotels for a week before the first game but will that realisticaly work for the rest of the season and beyond ?
  • As long as the Germans don't run out of toothpaste...