Chelsea v West Ham United - Pellegrini's last stand?

Comments

• Someone said on the radio the other day that David Martin was only signed as a training goalkeeper?

So is this the same as me having a bra, going shopping for a second bra and then also getting a training bra? :hmm: :puzzled: ;)
  • edited November 2019

Putting in a young keeper before they are ready is not the way forward in my book.

So let's stick with Roberto...Is this the way forward for us?

I think we all know the way forward is getting Fabianski back.

So, the choice is between a goalkeeper who appears to be past his "use before" date or a goalkeeper who only came up to the U23s last year, has only played 21 games since then and could possibly be a tad overwhelmed by making his full team debut at Stamford Bridge.

Personally I'd go with David Martin, training goalie or not he's been on the bench and must be ready to step up.

And he has actually played against Chelsea, MK Dons, home, 4pm Sunday 31 January 2016, FA Cup 4th round, it didn't end well...
  • This could be a another humiliation :doh:

• If we put Martin in goal and they score less than 5 at least he can claim it's an improvement :biggrin:

Also no current Chelsea player has put one past him; Hazard, Oscar and Traore have all left.
  • chicago :ok:

I agree that if they aren't ready we shouldn't be using them. I think if we want a goalkeeper change it should be David Martin (unless Anang is deemed ready). The guy has 404 career appearances so it's not like he's a rookie. Yeah, he's probably not the best keeper in the world, but surely he can't be worse than Roberto?!
  • I don't think it matters whether its the training keeper or U23. We have seen how bad Roberto is.
  • edited November 2019
    I can't get past Baz talking about having a bra. :wahoo: :nonono:
  • Yeold

I think the point is that even if Anang is better than Roberto (he can hardly be worse) if he’s not ready then you run the risk of ruining his confidence and his development
  • You could argue the same point on Holland. Should be be thrown into action when the team as a whole is on it’s knees?

Think Pelle could have done with trying one or two of them out at the back end of last season when it was clear we wouldn’t get in Europe but also weren’t going to get relegated either.
  • Roberto is not ready
  • I reckon Lawro is going to have us down as a LOSS not sure why just a wild guess :lol:
  • William Hill have West Ham to win odds 7/1 Chelsea win 2/9 on.
    Doesn't look very promising :weep:
  • I think the 9/2 odds on Chelsea could reflect the actual result. The
  • We get 2 :nonono:
  • Yes - 9-0 down then Pelle will praise us for not giving up
  • roberto will still be in goal then
  • I can't get past Baz talking about having a bra. :wahoo: :nonono:

The things I do to unsuccessfully get a laugh here :doh:
  • Discussion of the future of the manager, and possible replacements, moved off the match thread to here:
    http://www.whu606.com/discussion/11022/west-ham-s-next-boss
  • Not sure about Rice in central defense - seems a panic move, especially if it means we have to pick Sanchez in midfield. Why not Balbuena and Ogbonna, if Diop cannot play, so Rice can play in his usual position ?
  • No-one trusts the keeper basically. So I think the whole squad are probably drawing straws to see determine who is forced to play in the centre of defence.
  • OK. Rice in goal it is.
  • Perhaps if the defence prevented the opposition having as many shots as they want then we might do better. Perhaps Roberto doesn't trust the defence?
  • edited November 2019
    Despite all our fears about who Pelle will put in goal the person most dreading seeing Roberto's name on the team sheet is most likely Roberto.

I hope the fans will be respectful and no sarcastic booing, I would rather see them show their character and give him a big cheer. I am all for criticising his performance afterwards but in the light of Pelle continuing to play him rather than make the change all can see needs to happen. He is an awful keeper but the guy himself is doing his best and that's what needs respecting whilst he is actually playing.
  • edited November 2019
    Remind me what div Roberto was playing in
  • Well I have spent the afternoon in hospital with my rather poorly Dad. He’s westham through and through. 89 years old so he has seen the good, bad and the ugly. Please, 2019 squad could you do me the favour of giving me something to lift the spirits tomorrow. Maybe then I can tell him we played well or even just put a shift in, rather than Chelsea were all over us like a cheap suit.
    Coyi
  • Ay mate let’s hope they put a performance for your dad then mate :clap:
  • Tell your dad that we have taken a leaf out of Barnstonworth Uniteds playbook and in true Ripping Yarns style, we have re-signed Phil Parkes and all will be well. :thumbsup:

• COYI
    :scarfeng: :scarfeng:
  • Park the bus today. Hand brake on.
    COYI
This discussion has been closed.