January transfer window 2019/20 season

Comments

• I think both of those things are good news. Coventry needs a loan, and if he shines he could potentially come through into the squad next season. Grady needs first team football more than we need a squad player, IMO.
  • Fernandes is this the young portuguese player Big Oli said we would sign :lol:
  • Linked with Sander Berg again 6ft 5 20 year old Norwegian plays for Bruge
  • Only now Fernandez as 'wonderkid' on Football manager and the odd transfer rumour

Being only 20 there is a risk he doesnt hit his potential but and 18 month loan with and option to buy seem like a coup to me (especially if funds are tight)

Addresses a problem, can play CM, adds a lot of athleticism and flair....although is probably a bit too lightweight (from what little I know) to have an immediate effect in a midfield 2

In my head we would be getting a better version of Edimilson Fernandes who was also a versatile midfielder who lacked a bit of strength
  • The question id like to ask is whether he going to go into the Dev squad if indeed he joins
  • Wasn't the signing of Edimilson Fernandes looked upon as a bit of a coup, now where is he now? :whistle:

I only mention this as he was really rated around Europe at the time but we let him go, he is not the first either to do so.
  • I see diafra sakho has been released by Rennes barely paid form them after he left us
  • Think they loaned him out to a Turkish side if I remember rightly
  • Wasn't the signing of Edimilson Fernandes looked upon as a bit of a coup,

I don't remember that. So I googled the signing news, and none of the top hits said or implied that.

So maybe you are mis-remembering?

He was 20, and was signed for the development squad, wasn't he?
  • edited January 2020
    Mrs G, No I did remember correctly but I have to admit the plaudits did come from a few radio pundits when the transfer was being discussed. :ok:

https://www.hammers.news/club-news/outstanding-edimilson-fernandes-shows-manuel-pellegrini-what-he-is-missing-after-transfer-clanger/
  • edited January 2020
    Well, no - the article you link to dates from after he left. So I don't think you can use it to argue that at the time of the signing it was considered a coup.

Unless you think that Damien Charles Lucas's opinion that 'Fernandes was one of the more impressive signings of the pre-Pellegrini, Mario Husillos era' counts as 'a few radio pundits'?

Personally, I don't. But we all have our own benchmarks, I suppose.
  • Never heard of Edimilson before he joined

Have seen Gedson been linked with £40mil moves over the last 18 months
  • I don’t recollect Edmilson being seen to be a coup back then?

I am actually really really hoping we try and sign jarod Bowen. I just think he would do fantastically for us. Even if it meant us loaning him back to them for a while.
  • Apologies I should have written two different threads - 1) to clarify where and who had rated the Edimilson signing & 2) to show he had put in a decent performance since we allowed him to leave and could we have held onto him. I admit it was only one but he might be showing promise at Mainz but if he isn’t I can guarantee someone will quickly tell me. ;)
  • I'd like Bowen too, but I think Hull know they're sitting on a £15-20m player, so won't accept us trying to low-ball them. We won't pay what it takes to get him, but I fully expect someone to.

Shame, because I think this could be another Robertson/Maddison situation.

Fernandez sounds much more likely, if only because it's mooted to be an 18 month loan; i.e. nominal transfer fee.
  • Prospect signings...need players on the pitch to do the work now not ones that might become hot property. Leave those signings for the summer where you know what league you are in.
  • The question id like to ask is whether he going to go into the Dev squad if indeed he joins

Dev’s back?! Now yer talking. :bowdown:

• Fernandes has started 16 out of 18 this season for Mainz, missed one game for a double yellow and was left on the bench for the other.

Doubt if he'd be getting that sort of match time if he'd stayed here.
  • I didnt want to sell Fernandes

But we made a £3mil profit (£8mil total) on a player who never quite took his chance and would probably of struggled to develop at us

Shame we didnt put either a buy back clause or sell-on clause of he goes later for big money
  • Obviously not in the know but ideally when transferring out a promising youngster on the cusp of a first team place, it would certainly make sense to have a sell on clause.

At that age no-one really knows how a player will develop, if he crashes and burns, so be it but in the cases where they genuinely develop and attract a serious fee is it reasonable to assume that his prior club would have had a hand in that development.

• According to a guardian article I read, we made a bid of £12m for Maddison when Moyes was last here. A few days later Hugill arrived. It didn’t come as a surprise at all to me that he ended up thriving in the Prem (to then be worth a fortune). That’s why I want us to pay what it takes for Bowen
  • Is Hugill still on our books?
  • Yes just out on loan with 8 goals in 23
  • Hugill scores a brace for QPR in their match vs Swansea. :hmm:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50970222
  • Right back needed this month.

Fredericks and Johnson both injured so Zaba is our only option.
  • Fredericks.

Injured more often that not?
  • Funny isn’t it - we sell the injury prone Byram for a six figure sum, and he goes to another pl club and features quite heavily with few problems
  • Now let’s weigh up the evidence your honour
  • Fredericks.

Injured more often that not?

We could look it up.

And compare with other players.

If we had time.
This discussion has been closed.