January transfer window 2019/20 season

Comments

• Bet everyone wishes we had signed Traore on the cheap now. No end product blah blah. Exactly the type of player we have been needing for years.

I'm not convinced he'd be that good if he played for us. I wouldn't be surprised if Wolves had a tailored training program dedicated towards him and Nuno man-managing him to get the best out of him. Of course a lot of his development has probably come from his own determination and commitment to improve!
  • Champo, OCS, agreed we have the players to play in different formations but the main problem is they don't seem to know how to play football.
    I watched the 2nd half of last night's game this morning and the difference in the football between us and them was stark.
    When Liverpool had possession, they kept it by playing (mostly) short passes while moving as a unit or a long pass when there was a break on.
    We just seem to (mostly) faff around in our own half and then punt the ball upfield to no one in particular.
    I know this is an over-simplification but just watch it for yourselves. There needs to be so much more work done on the training pitch.
    One good thing however (as someone has mentioned earlier) is how Rice could become the box to box midfielder we're crying out for now that Soucek has joined.
    Let's hope they can pull it together against Brighton.
    :scarf:
  • I'm convinced Declan's talent is wasted as a holding midfielder.
  • If Soucek is as described, then I think he and Rice could be a very dynamic, yet solid midfield pairing. Both playing as box to box ball winners, one staying deep when the other pushes on.

If we continue with a back 5, then Rice and Soucek as the pairing in the middle could increase mobility and change the dynamic of the side a bit.
  • Il get one right soon

Olivier Ntcham
    Willian Jose
    Calvin Ughelumba
  • I'm convinced Declan's talent is wasted as a holding midfielder.

He's shown in recent weeks he does like a driving determined run forwards. Could he be the powerhouse/engine we need to burst through midfield? It exposes us when we have just Noble back who's not the quickest, but with Soucek it could work a treat. There doesn't seem to be many in our team who offer these bursts of pace forwards (Antonion & Masuaku being the other two I can think of).
  • Sander Berge in england to complete a move to Sheffield United

Obviously we have got Soucek, but I would've liked this kid

Let's see how they both do
  • Toulouse’s 21-year-old defender Kelvin Amian Adou has been added to a list of right backs that West Ham have shown an interest in.
  • After Joe Coles comments about getting players in early - everyone in the pub is an expert now repeating that mantra
  • I think we should forget about having a defensive midfielder. We just need two or three in Central midfield that work together and adapt their game depending on the opposition. They should all be able to attack or defend!
  • Champo,
    Looking at the FIFA 20 ratings, SK Slavia Praha and KRC Genk are pretty much identical as are Soucek and Berge, although Soucek's shooting is much better.
    Their national team records are strangely similar as well.

https://www.fifaratings.com/player/tomas-soucek
    https://www.fifaratings.com/player/sander-berge

Depending on the fee for Berge, I think we may have got the better deal, even though he's 3 years older.
    :scarf:
  • C&H reporting, via a 'senior figure' at the club, that we're unlikely to make anymore signings before the window closes. Finding it hard to get anything completed in time, apparently.

Just terrific.
  • edited January 2020
    Article here:

https://www.claretandhugh.info/west-ham-transfer-business-getting-nowhere-fast/

Basically suggesting that the right back and striker Moyes wants will be covered by Johnson, Ngakia and Xande Silva.

Just like new signings.

• C&H reporting, via a 'senior figure' at the club, that we're unlikely to make anymore signings before the window closes. Finding it hard to get anything completed in time, apparently.

Just terrific.

If only they had a whole month to sign players.
  • Hamstew said:

C&H reporting, via a 'senior figure' at the club, that we're unlikely to make anymore signings before the window closes. Finding it hard to get anything completed in time, apparently.

Just terrific.

If only they had a whole month to sign players.
    That's what bugs me more than anything. The club had four months between windows to identify players we may need, but seem to have (conveniently?) left everything to the last minute.

We let Hernandez go after the summer window closed, leaving two strikers at the club, both of which were new to the league. Common sense alone would suggest that maybe we should have been looking at potential targets for January, getting deals lined up in good time for the window opening.

If we do get relegated, the owners are going to have to wear every single bit of criticism that comes their way.
  • Traore would have been injured in training if he had come to west ham to be fair. Would never have been the same after.
  • Gaining some traction on Twitter, Fortune.

Hopefully true, as I think he is exactly the kind of player we should be going in for, IMO, but I fear this will be another 'we were working 24/7 to get the deal over the line, but the player chose to go elsewhere'.

Still, if we didn't have hope, we'd have nothing.
  • Reckon we’ll sign Bowen & Giroud on loan by the deadline.
  • So it sounds like we are up against Palace for Bowen

Dint want Giroud tbh, hes too slow
  • So Saudi Prince-owned Blunts get Berge for £22m, G & S get Soucek for £13m.

If Berge was our first target then it's all about whose owner is richer, isn't it.

Although to my knowledge I've never heard of anyone losing their head with the line of business that G&S prospered in, unless of course they were in Saudi Arabia.
  • I certainly wanted Giroud a couple of years ago but now, not so sure, have not seen him lately to judge.

I think we need a foil up front to accompany Haller, Giroud seems to be an older and possibly even slower version of Haller.

I would have liked to have seen someone like Chico up top with Haller :weep:
  • I reckon Bowen may end up at Villa
  • Danny Rose has joined Newcastle
  • Giroud a good poacher and knows how to score but will want a big wage.Bowen will be too expensive , imo , therefore we'll get neither
  • Giroud won’t help us. Only Arnie or 2002 Ronaldo can run that line up top alone
  • Bubbles,

Isn't that the frustration many air with regard to our owners?
  • Sounds like with regards to Bowen it another loan offer with option to buy etc etc :puzzled:
  • Hamstew said:

Sounds like with regards to Bowen it another loan offer with option to buy etc etc :puzzled:

Clearly not going to be accepted. If Palace and Newcastle are in for him, you'd imagine at least one of them is going to offer cash.
This discussion has been closed.