Couldn’t think.... part three

Comments

• Spurs were 1 up, now 3-1 down in the space of 7 mins, such a shame.

You just beat me to it!
  • Damn, they get one back just before half time
  • 3-3 now, dreadful defending all round.
  • Makes up for our game i guess
  • Everton won 5-4
  • Everyone who saw Spurs win the league last time, will have been vaccinated by next week =)
  • Mark Noble admits he doesn't have long left at this level and retirement looms. I hope he can hang on and leave when fans are back. He deserves to bow out in a full home stadium
  • What's going on, we're the only club to get 2 players into Garth Crooks' team of the week, Diop and Lingard

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56074334

• https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56074334

Daft Crooks: David Moyes will know only too well from his own days at Old Trafford what the lad is capable of.

Moyes's spell at Manure 01/07/2013 to 22/04/2014
    Lingard: 19/09/2013 loan to Brum. Returned to Manure and was unused sub against Swansea City on 11 January 2014
    27/02/2014, Lingard loan to Brighton on a 93-day loan.

The only games he played under Moyes were pre 2013/2014 season friendlies in Australia, Japan, and Hong Kong.

• edited February 2021
    yoyo said:

Mark Noble admits he doesn't have long left at this level and retirement looms. I hope he can hang on and leave when fans are back. He deserves to bow out in a full home stadium

Yeah there is no way Noble will retire before he has a chance to see the fans again
  • What's going on, we're the only club to get 2 players into Garth Crooks' team of the week, Diop and Lingard

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56074334

It has a thing where you can select your own suggested team of the week. I started trying to see if I could create a West Ham biased team. I was doing ok until I reached the front three when I drew a blank. Because we have no forwards.
  • edited February 2021
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56085319

Interesting read here about Ravel - seems like BFS should shoulder the blame.

Real shame that so much talent was wasted.
  • edited February 2021

I’m listening to the full podcast at the moment, about half way through, and what I am getting from it all is that he was a kid who was very ill equipped for where he ended up in life, and the support he had in place wasn’t really sufficient for what he needed.

I’ve found it pretty sad to listen to.

EDIT: also, on the Allardyce point, I’ve not got to that part of the interview, but he has said so far that his time under Sam at West Ham was his happiest time as a footballer, and that Sam gave him confidence to play. It didn’t strike me as him having a problem with Sam at all.
  • alderz said:

I’m listening to the full podcast at the moment, about half way through, and what I am getting from it all is that he was a kid who was very ill equipped for where he ended up in life, and the support he had in place wasn’t really sufficient for what he needed.

EDIT: also, on the Allardyce point, I’ve not got to that part of the interview, but he has said so far that his time under Sam at West Ham was his happiest time as a footballer, and that Sam gave him confidence to play. It didn’t strike me as him having a problem with Sam at all.
    He later then pretty much says the agent thing is why he isn’t still with us. Seems to be trying to say Sam’s good but the story is different.

It’s very sad. I don’t know if I’ve ever heard him speak. He really has very little confidence. It’s clear he’s still a bit confused himself and can see he must still make the wrong decisions on things but it’s useful to get to understand him.
  • OCS, if I remember correctly SAF wanted him to leave as he was mixing with the wrong crowd but a few did raise the odd concern that coming to London wasn't going to help reduce any distractions he may have had in Manchester.
  • OCS, if I remember correctly SAF wanted him to leave as he was mixing with the wrong crowd but a few did raise the odd concern that coming to London wasn't going to help reduce any distractions he may have had in Manchester.

Sure, though it doesn’t sound like that was actually a problem.

One really nice story shared by Rio in this was that he texted Alex Ferguson before the programme to ask about Ravel. Ferguson said one of the things that stood out about him was that after his debut, Ravel went to his office and gave a letter thanking Ferguson for the chance - and was the only young player who ever did that. That alone IMO shows he’s a very different person to what he’s been made out to be.
  • He was also charged with witness intimidation before his friends trial. He was no Angel and if he hadn't scored that wonder goal against Spurs then I doubt he would be talked about. I don't mean to sound harsh but I don't see him as a loss
  • alderz said:

If it’s broke blame it on allerdyce,though I’d say he left us in a better place he’d found us but we’ve moved on from this
  • yoyo said:

He was also charged with witness intimidation before his friends trial. He was no Angel and if he hadn't scored that wonder goal against Spurs then I doubt he would be talked about. I don't mean to sound harsh but I don't see him as a loss

I think it’s easy to look at things like that and paint someone’s entire character. IMO he is more than some mistakes he made as a teenager. I’d like to think that what I did as a teenager doesn’t characterise me, so I don’t see why it should for him. Also, he was given a 12 month referral order - which is a community based youth sentence - 11 years ago. I’m pretty sure that it wouldn’t even show on a criminal record anymore.
  • I just look at his career, 11 clubs (12 if you count his two stints as QPR) in 11 years and he's only 28 so possibly a few more clubs before he retires.

I'm not sure exactly how his failing to secure a place at Lazio or Sheffield Utd could be blamed on BFS but it's his life and he seems to have let his talent go to waste.
  • From that BBC article:

"'I'd have stayed at West Ham'
    Morrison left Manchester United for West Ham in 2012, scoring five goals in 24 appearances for the Hammers until he left in 2015.

He recalls it as one of the most "enjoyable" places to play.

But he alleges a disagreement over a contract with then manager Sam Allardyce ended his time with the Hammers."

Perhaps that was where he took the wrong path.
    I can look back on my life and pinpoint certain moments that led me off in a totally different direction. I'm sure everyone on here can do the same.
    So maybe BFS was the one who caused him to take that other path. Isn't this the instance (afaicr) where BFS wanted Ravel to change agent/manager?
  • Maybe his demands were too excessive? We don't know
  • No we don’t but we should let things lie bubbles nothing to see now, as I’ve said he left the club in a better place than the one he took over and imo deserves a little respect
  • yoyo said:

Maybe his demands were too excessive? We don't know

He said he didn't want a new contract, he had two years left and was happy with what he was on but it was offered to him. The catch was he had to switch agent. When he refused, it all started going wrong.

Frankly, I'm not so interested in the blame stuff and he actually isn't either. He says stuff like he would change 90% of his life if he could.

The recent articles and stories about Ravel shouldn't be about who's to blame, to me it should be more about learning about how football deals with players like him. A lot of players have complicated backgrounds. Ravel's a focus because of his talent and that talent has meant he's carved out a professional career, even if it wasn't the one expected of him. For other players, they fall off much, much harder. A system that is working with children needs to take responsibility for them.
  • edited February 2021
    I would recommend listening to the podcast, tbh. It’s a very interesting insight into his character, and a lot of the inner workings of academy’s and football clubs in general.
This discussion has been closed.