Couldn’t think.... part three

1282930313234»

Comments

• It really does depend on upbringing and personality. My mate at work by coincidence had 2 mates that we're professional footballers. I won't name them. One wasted his money and never thought about later life. The other was on £8k a week at 20 years old but bought a load of flats as an investment. It's hard for Me to imagine what it must be like to have large sums of money thrown at me, never mind being so young.
  • Sorry but there are plenty of kids who manage to develop a career as professional footballers without going through the ructions that Morrison did.

Football is not the root of Ravel Morrison's problems, he would have had those problems whether he was a footballer or not.
  • My mates brother plays for Burnley now, and they reckon he’s so level headed, and the manager was praising him the other day for that reason so think it may be how your brought up
  • In the podcast one of the hosts says how Brian McLair, when head of Man Utd’s academy, said that if a young player didn’t have a consistent figure bringing them to training and giving them that stability then they “wouldn’t make it”. Now, that’s obviously a sweeping generalisation, but there’s clearly some truth to it too.

There are always examples of people “rising above” their situation or whatever to be successful, but there are forever more examples of people being held down by their backgrounds. There’s a reason why education is important, there’s a reason why local governments are terrified of what deprivation means for their communities and the people in them.
  • It may be a lot of things. There may be a lot who come through despite their challenges and a lot who don’t.

I don’t know of a single other example of Ravel talking for himself instead of others talking about him, so I thought it was worth listening to. If you don’t want to listen to it then don’t. I thought we were discussing the takeaways from that show, not rehashing our judgements on his career.
  • Just watched half of the podcast, couldn't be bothered to listen to the rest but didn't hear anything that made me feel any sympathy for him

Other players have come from difficult backgrounds but let their football do the talking, he uses his background as an excuse

Sorry, 100% waster
  • I genuinely can’t understand that, but fair enough
  • Now it's too late, he is growing up. Hopefully Lingard has also learned from past mistakes - before he finds its too late. Football has no mercy, from owners down to fans.
  • there is a debate on the predicated top 4 on sky sports page, they are looking at how they think teams will do and where they will finish including a detailed look at fixtures, we are in it for consideration of top 4, what a change from last year :)
  • Totally agree whupathman....I was actually thinking exactly the same thing, to think we would have been even in this discussion, not sure any of us could have predicted this..

I was truly expecting a mid-low lying position, possibly even another season where we would be fighting relegation, like last...

Kudo's to Moyes, I never wanted him as our manager when appointed both times, but I'll eat my lush piece of cake anyday to see us flourish with him at the helm....

• This is quite fun
  • Boris on Lockdown closure -
    Step three will begin no earlier than 17 May, he says.

"Most restrictions outdoors will be lifted, subject to a limit of 30 people. This is the point where you will be able to see your friends and family indoors subject to the meeting of two households."
    "We will also reopen pubs and restaurants indoors," he says, along with cinemas, theatres, sports stadiums and some other venues.

Might make it to see the last game of the season at home to Southampton. Be nice to cheer us into Europe. 🥳
  • Sounds more promising.. Step 3 will happen no earlier than 17 May. In very largest outdoor seated venues such as football stadiums up to 10,000 people allowed to attend (or 1/4 full whichever is lowest)
  • There are 54k season tickets and the club reckons 88% renewed

47.5k chasing 10k places
  • Did the 88% renew in full? There were a couple of renewal options. One was pay in full, one was pay 30% and only attend when 70% capacity allowed I think. Also the 2000 who went to the United game won't be in the next draw.
  • I hope the 2000 that were selected for the Palace game get first dibs for the return - especially as I was one of them!!
  • I wonder if Salah will try this on when crowds are allowed back.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/56167027

=)
  • PL not committing yet to fans being allowed in on last Sunday games as they feel the season integrity may be compromised.
    I suppose if everything is decided by then it won’t matter but if a home team could qualify for Europe or avoid relegation it may be seen as an issue.
  • I think they should let Newcastle fans in on the last day so they boo their team to a defeat and then riot when they go down :)
  • Oooh Alderz you are awful.... but I like you
  • I think it would be heartbreaking if our fans were denied the chance to throw rose petals at the feet of Sully when we beat Southampton to secure our spot in next season’s Champions league.
  • According to the Mirror (I know, I know) Pogba could still be injured for the game against us.
    Let's hope we are still flying high then.
  • I'd rather it was Fernandes missing than Pogba.
  • Just a heads up.. over 1000 comment on this thread now so I'll close it tonight.

If there is no other existing thread for your comments, feel free to open a new one - a dedicated thread if it's a topic likely to be of interest for a while, or a general one like this, if you think it's necessary.

But please consider a proper thread :)
  • edited February 2021
    Pogba was playing well until his injury so at least if one of them’s missing it helps. Fernandes hasn’t looked very influential for a month or two when I’ve watched Man U games (though he’s still good enough for long enough to keep picking up goals and assists)
  • MrsGrey said:

Just a heads up.. over 1000 comment on this thread now so I'll close it tonight.

If there is no other existing thread for your comments, feel free to open a new one - a dedicated thread if it's a topic likely to be of interest for a while, or a general one like this, if you think it's necessary.

But please consider a proper thread :)

Hippo Malarkey Hotel?

Anyone?

Anyyyyyone?
This discussion has been closed.