Brexit

Comments

• edited March 2019
    Yesterday somebody put up a petition on parliament's website to revoke Article 50. Any petition that receives more than 100k signatures has to be considered for a debate, by 9am this morning it had received about 600k signatures and was gaining 1500 per minute...and then the website crashed.

Its back up now with 824k, should be over the million mark around 2pm.
  • I know it won't happen, but I'd love it if it got 17.5m signatures...
  • Now this is serious...
    The German firm Wepa said it had been storing an extra 600 tonnes of toilet and kitchen roll in the last three to four months to safeguard supplies in Britain, in case the UK crashes out of the EU without an agreement on 29 March.

The company has also built six weeks’ supplies of the cardboard core used inside the rolls, as this cannot be sourced from the UK in sufficient quantities and is imported from EU countries in eastern Europe and Scandinavia.

The firm has also decided to charter ships to take toilet and kitchen roll from a supplier in Naples to Swansea, rather than relying on trucks carrying its products via the Calais-Dover route.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/21/uk-biggest-toilet-roll-supplier-wepa-stockpiling-no-deal-brexit-avoid-customs-delays
  • Can I say this on here..

Up (a certain) creek without a paddle toilet roll ;nonono

Of course, there's always the Daily Mail. ;wink
  • Yesterday somebody put up a petition on parliament's website to revoke Article 50. Any petition that receives more than 100k signatures has to be considered for a debate, by 9am this morning it had received about 600k signatures and was gaining 1500 per minute...and then the website crashed.

at 950k and climbing but slowed down a lot. Should get to a Million though.
  • edited March 2019

Yesterday somebody put up a petition on parliament's website to revoke Article 50. Any petition that receives more than 100k signatures has to be considered for a debate, by 9am this morning it had received about 600k signatures and was gaining 1500 per minute...and then the website crashed.

at 950k and climbing but slowed down a lot. Should get to a Million though.
    Kept on crashing for me. Though it's now back up.
  • edited March 2019
    Yeold, speeding up again. ;wink
    Compare the rate of increase of both petitions, the revoke A50 is like an F1 car vs a Trabant. ;biggrin
  • Speaking in the HoC, Andrea Leadsom has just said, 'Should the petition reach more than 17.4m signatures [ie, the number of people who voted leave], there would be a very clear case for taking action.'

;hmm
  • Taking action presumably means having a serious debate because these petitions don5 guarantee a debate.
  • Almost all petitions that get to 100,000 signatures get debated, but that doesn't mean in the HoC. Nor does it mean that it can be in any way binding on govt.
  • Like a referendum ;whistle
  • This really looks like a tragedy unfolding a nation completely about to have to re-write itself and take potential risks to its very fabric, this happens due to various reasons from time to time, but very rarely as unnecessary and self inflicted as this.

I continue to struggle to find credible reasons to leave and find even leavers don't seem to believe the ones originally offered now, some used to speak of trade deals but due to seeing how we have fared in this negotiation and understanding that no one would dare give us a better deal than their deal with the EU, most have dropped that one.

Our whole ability to trade with the EU will rely upon equivalence, an equivalence they can change at any time and we will need apply.

It's really hard to find a credible argument for leaving and most I speak to have given up even trying now. The more I look unless there is a dramatic about turn I see the global community looking on and wondering how we could have done what we have, whilst all we are left with is a few narratives that distort a truth that becomes harder and harder to ignore.
  • Is parliament working?
    If this was private company,, would it go pop?
    Remain or out it does not matter there are very poor joke
  • I voted Leave and before you ask why BubblesNeverDies, I think we are all way past the reasons why. May hasn't got a clue what she is doing. All Corbyn wants is another election. I'm sure there are some very good backbench MP's but they are so far back, they can't get a look in to sort this situation out.

I really hope article 50 gets revoked because if we are really relying on our present leaders to sort out what happens after we have left, we won't have a great future.

I have wondered for quite a while what has happened to this country. We used to be pioneers in everything that was good in the world, I now think I must have dreamt everything I learned in history.

What a blooming mess!
  • edited March 2019
    imagelost said:

Is parliament working?

Depends what you think its job is.

If its job is to do whatever the PM wants, then no, it isn't.
  • I'm still waiting for the EU27 to blink at the last minute. ;doh
  • I think the EU 27 are waiting for us to say its all been a horrible mistake at the last minute.

Meanwhile I'm stockpiling toilet paper. No geese necks for me!
  • MrsGrey said:

imagelost said:

Is parliament working?

Depends what you think its job is.

If its job is to do whatever the PM wants, then no, it isn't.
    It seems there all to busy doing in house fighting ,, I mean party against party is one thing,,, but seems in the partys too.
  • Maybe it’s because for the last few decades most of parliaments business has been to ratify or implement new EU legislation. Suddenly they have been put in the position of having to think for themselves and try to implement something off their own backs and it’s all alien to them.
  • edited March 2019
    No. Not buying that.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36473105

Between 1993 and 2014 Parliament passed 945 Acts of which 231 implemented EU obligations and 33,16 SIs (regulations) 4,283 of which implemented EU obligations. That's 13% derived from the EU*.

So 87% of their work not derived from EU law/regulation.

(*higher figures for EU influenced regulations in the UK are given if you include stuff that hasn't required Parliamentary involvement.)
  • edited March 2019

Maybe it’s because for the last few decades most of parliaments business has been to ratify or implement new EU legislation. Suddenly they have been put in the position of having to think for themselves and try to implement something off their own backs and it’s all alien to them.

Really? Let's look at some of the laws passed by the 2010-15 parliament.

The Fixed Term Parliaments Act 2011 - General Elections to be every five years. Nothing to do with the EU

Parliamentary Voting System and Constituencies Act 2011 - holding a referendum on whether to replace FPTP with AV. We had the referendum and rejected the idea. Nothing to do with the EU.

Localism Act 2011 - gave more cities elected mayors. Nothing to do with the EU.

Health and Social Care Act 2012 - abolished NHS primary care trust and created clinical commissioning groups. Nothing to do with the EU

Legal Aid, Sentencing and Punishment of Offenders Act 2012 - removed legal aid for cases involving housing, welfare, medical negligence, employment, debt and immigration. Nothing to do with the EU.

Financial Services Act 2012 - replaced the Financial Services Authority with two new bodies, the Financial Services Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Nothing to do with the EU.

Crime and Courts Act 2013 - created the National Crime Agency and the Serious Organised Crime Agency. Nothing to do with the EU.
  • So the EU 27 have said that if MPs support May's deal by the end of next week we get to leave on 22nd May, if they don't we get to leave on 12th April unless we ask for an even longer extension and take part in the EU elections on 23rd May.

Now here's a thought, Farage quit UKIP and is sitting as a "Brexit Party" MEP. If we do take part in the elections he's likely to take a lot of the UKIP votes with him but would he get enough to be re-elected? Could be a giggle.

The petition is nearing 3m.
  • Aslef
  • edited March 2019
    There's something that doesn't quite add up on the petition site map showing the number of constituents who have signed.
    There are currently 3,100,779 who have signed. This works out at 4,770 per constituency, yet the map shows a much lower total for most of them.
    Am I missing something?

;hmm
  • Multiple accounts signing it, its not an official register.
  • edited March 2019
    Yeold, that would involve everyone who has signed to each have 2 to 3 multiple accounts. Is that realistic?
    Up to 3,153,074 now.
  • You can bot it I imagine. I don't know.