Brexit

Comments

• IronHerb said:

"The voters of any country are as well informed as the media lets them be."

No, they are as informed as they want to be.

Being brutally honest, the majority of any country's people will not make any effort to inform themselves further than headlines in a newspaper, soundbites their friends and family repeat, and memes repeated in facebook (often reposted because it's "funny", without considering whether its propaganda or not). Expecting the majority to make some kind of effort is a stretch -especially considering the sheer amount of information we are exposed to these days. Both of our statements are true. Yours is perhaps more optimistic than mine.
  • The pound was worth $1.47 and €1.30 before the referendum, today its $1.33 and €1.17, what it will be after Brexit will depend on the terms we leave on.

We're already losing manufacturing jobs but it seems that the City has insulated itself so the financial sector should be okay.

The point about the political system that is made in the article is that such an important issue as leaving the EU should not have been put in the hands of the politically uninformed.

I agree but ironically it was the "politically informed" who decided to put the issue into the hands of the "politically uninformed".

I suppose an education at Eton and Oxford isn't a guarantee of superior judgement and intelligence.
  • edited March 2019
    That E1.17 is the highest it's been for a while - it's just had a bit of a rise because no deal has yesterday been made less likely.

It's been around E1.13/1.14 pretty much all the time.

It'll be back down the bottom of the cliff soon.
  • They've just voted to delay Brexit until 30th June but the leaders of the EU countries will have to agree to it when they meet next Thursday.
  • I'm guessing that The New Statesman is not part of the 'media' conspiracy. ;hmm
  • They've just voted to delay Brexit until 30th June but the leaders of the EU countries will have to agree to it when they meet next Thursday.

Only if the Withdrawal agreement is approved by 20 March. If it isn't, they'll have to decide how long they want, and what for.
  • What do they think they can do in three months that they couldn't do in two years?
  • edited March 2019
    The 3 months is only if the existing Deal (that's been voted down twice) is signed/agreed by Parliament. Then the 3 months is to get the various bits of necessary legislation + regulations in order.

If the Deal isn't signed, 3 months is no use - hence the part of the wording that says it will have to be a longer extension. Presumably because there'll be a new round of negotiations on something without May's arbitrary red lines.
  • I thought it was the EU's arbitrary red line around the backstop issue that was stopping things. ;hmm
  • edited March 2019
    No, that's not arbitrary.

And given how much store Leavers set on the principle of controlling your own borders, I'd expect them to be very sympathetic to the EU on this issue ;wink
  • edited March 2019
    IronHerb said:

I thought it was the EU's arbitrary red line around the backstop issue that was stopping things. ;hmm

The UK want the borders, and have explicitly said they'd like to move their regulations away from EU norms. The EU is holding them to their word, and insisting that the border be a real one.

Unless you're saying the UK should be allowed to leave the EU, but hold on to Northern Ireland, but stop people coming into the UK, but not Northern Ireland, but promise to have a proper border, unless they don't have a proper border, but the EU should believe their promises based on the UK's exemplary political behaviour as displayed over the last three years.
  • There was a BBC news item a few weeks ago where a reporter drove along the border and its a nightmare. There are numerous roads that cross back and forth over the border, the N54 from Monaghan to Cavan crosses the border four times in the space of 6 miles.

And not just roads, there's a Dublin-Belfast train, it would have to stop for border checks somewhere between Drumintree and Thistle Cross.
  • Exit Brexit
  • There was a BBC news item a few weeks ago where a reporter drove along the border and its a nightmare. There are numerous roads that cross back and forth over the border, the N54 from Monaghan to Cavan crosses the border four times in the space of 6 miles.

People who live or work near a border area make many trips back and forth daily - school on one side, house on the other, one's work on one side, other's work requires driving back and forth, kids swimming lessons on one side, grandparents on the other, big supermarket on one side, best friend on the other...
  • Parliament preparing for the next critical vote.
    M P's
  • Except that those people have something to be proud of
  • It just struck me that both politicians and clowns scare me
  • Parliament preparing for the next critical vote.
    M P's

Corbyn looks quite smart though compared to normal
  • Which one's Boris?
  • All of them...
  • I'm Boris, no, I'm Boris, no I'm Boris etc. etc.
  • Friday afternoon at the office on the quiet side, is it? ;biggrin
  • edited March 2019
    ;biggrin
  • edited March 2019
    The Speaker has just said that unless there is significant change to the details or circumstances of the 3rd vote, he won't allow it.
    lol

Can't wait to see what the Daily Mail call him in tomorrow's headlines.

• MrsGrey, we can have a pretty good guess can't we.
  • He’s entitled to do that constitutionally albeit a bit hypocritical given that he ignores it at other times.
    If it stays as it is we are heading for a no deal brexit as the vote last week was only indicative and non binding.
  • "indicative and non-binding"

as was the Brexit referendum. ;whistle
  • He’s entitled to do that constitutionally albeit a bit hypocritical given that he ignores it at other times.

Examples?

If it stays as it is we are heading for a no deal brexit as the vote last week was only indicative and non binding.

No, the PM has said she is going to ask for an extension.

tbh, if she ignores the vote on the grounds you say, THAT would be hypocritical!
  • I posted this last week

From the BBC today:

"If no-deal is rejected, MPs will vote on Thursday on delaying Brexit by extending Article 50 - the legal mechanism that takes the UK out of the EU.
    The EU has said it would need "a credible justification" before agreeing to any extension."

My question is if MPs vote to delay Brexit but the EU does not agree to any extension, is the next logical step to revoke Article 50 and would that be decided by Parliament?

I'm guessing Aslef can answer this

Aslef, where are you? ;biggrin