World Cup Last 16 and onwards (excluding England matches)

Comments

• Interesting that Mr nice Linekar made a negative comment about Maradona.
  • Biggest question of the night - what on earth is Etebo doing about to start a season in the championship with Stoke
  • Alderz - what we want from pundits is illumination and insight, not a comment you would hear from the bloke down the boozer.
    ;ok

It's why I get really frustrated when I hear them offering opinions that show a lack of understanding of the rules,or of how VAR is operating.
  • Mrs. Grey.

I didn't hear what he said but Maradona, when Argentina scored, he was caught on camera giving a double one fingered salute to the Nigerian fans below. A little bit unsavoury for me.
  • Not really surprising with Maradona. Guys clearly been on the charlie all night.
  • He was once a great footballer; he was and always will be a buffalloon (an inflated buffoon.)
  • edited June 2018
    alderz said:

They both are really able to articulate things that non-pros might not notice, whereas some others just say the obvious lines.

You can tell from Drogba’s face how much thought he’s put into his comments.

Interesting about the penalty call. I feel like the rules Lineker brought up don’t necessarily rule out a penalty when the player’s headed it onto his own hand.
  • preston ;ok I saw it at the time.

That was referred to/shown in thhe post-match studio discussion.

He also could be seen using foul language. (The same thing FIFA fined the Mexican FA for in respect of their fans homophobic taunts.)

You'd like to think that if FIFA fine Mexico for their fans behaviour, they will stop giving Maradona VIP seats if he does exactly the same thing.
  • Outcast

As the handball rule stands, the referee has to make a subjective decision (since he can't know the player's mental state, unless it's Balotelli, where it is set to 'off'.)

For me, if the player is not clearly bringing his arm to the ball after heading it, it's hard to see how it was deliberate.
  • edited June 2018
    Did anyone else think that Martin Braithwaite of Middlesborough looked a decent player for Denmark. His career stats say he scores a goal in every three and a bit games. I thought he looked lively and a bit of a handful. I confess to having had a similar feeling about Reid when I first saw him play for NZ when he scored a cracking header.
  • Would never happen but would love to see Perisic at West Ham
  • Can we vote for Germany to be sent home before the second half? Just spare us all any more of this.
  • Kevin Kilbane and Jonathan Pearce not quite understanding handball. ;doh
  • I think it's unreasonable of us to expect them to know ALL the rules. There are quite a lot, and it's not as if they are professionals. Oh. Wait.
  • Are you sure it's not Phil Neville?
  • How many times is Jonathan Pearce going to tell us about how qualification via fair play works. We're up to 3.
  • Why don't the Koreans pass the ball? They've had around 6 breakaways and the player on the ball steadfastly refuses to pass to an open teammate.
    Exasperating or what?
  • This is like watching West Ham trying to hang on but you know the inevitable will happen. Come on Korea.
  • the fabled mid winter break seems to have done Germany a power of good.
  • Koreaaaaaaaaa
  • 6 minutes?
  • I'd like to be the first to type 'nobody likes to see Germany go out in the group stages'. We'll see when I click 'post comment' ;lol
  • Interested to know the reason the ref gave it.
  • Scenes.
  • MrsGrey said:

Interested to know the reason the ref gave it.

It wasn't offside ;biggrin

Oh dear, oh very dear, those poor rainbows ;lol
  • Hu predicted that... Yes, the Korean on 1st and Main St. predicted it ;lol ;wink

#German tears
  • Nobody likes to see that.
  • edited June 2018
    Auf wiedersehen Germany - GOOD!! ;biggrin ;biggrin
  • That was the best part of this World Cup so far. Would've been a tragedy for Mexico to go out. No doubting Chicharito's a West Ham players when his team can implode like that.
  • A mate of mine just sent me

Don't mention the VAR

THAT belongs on a newspaper headline.