The 'Couldn't think where to put this' thread part 2 or 'does my comment merit a NEW THREAD?'

Comments

• Wasn’t much better at football
  • I do find myself laughing at Wolves start to the season. Very entertaining.
  • Cuz1 said:

Chico on the scoresheet today for Seville

Not only that but he scored from outside the box!

https://www.planetfootball.com/videos/watch-chicharito-scores-from-outside-the-box-with-sublime-free-kick/
  • Note to anybody who drives to games. On Sunday, parts of London will be celebrating a car free day. Much of the city, in the square mile, between London and tower bridge will be closed to cars. Also, if you have a parking spot, Roman road will be closed too.
  • Cuz1 said:

Chico on the scoresheet today for Seville

Not only that but he scored from outside the box!

https://www.planetfootball.com/videos/watch-chicharito-scores-from-outside-the-box-with-sublime-free-kick/
    Just watched that did him and payet switch for the video, if not who taught him that
  • Carroll expected to play for Newcastle Saturday now that is a shock that he’s fit :lol:
  • Roll up, roll up! Before your very eyes.... The lesser spotted Andy Carroll will be witnessed in Newcastle potentially grazing on green turf :nonono: :wahoo: :puzzled: :hmm:
  • But be careful not to blink
  • Why do Man City come out onto the pitch with a song from a band from Liverpool? :hmm:
  • City play various versions of Blue Moon. Liam Gallagher's Beady Eye, The Doves and Supra are all Mancs while The Marcels and Sha Na Na are both American.

No Scousers I'm aware of.
  • The teams came out to Hey Jude today.
  • Not sure but my brother who lives in Germany seems to think it’s 50 years since the release of a Beatles song in 1969 but not sure which one maybe an album
  • edited September 2019
    Well done Essex for winning the T20 Blast final this evening. :clap:
  • Cuz1 said:

Not sure but my brother who lives in Germany seems to think it’s 50 years since the release of a Beatles song in 1969 but not sure which one maybe an album

Abbey Road or Yellow Submarine.
  • Abbey Road was released 26 September 1969 but Hey Jude (released August 1968) wasn't on it.

By coincidence I visited Abbey Road studios a couple of weeks ago, lots of people getting their photos taken on that zebra crossing and writing on the wall outside.
  • edited September 2019
    Hey Jude was aired for the first time on Pick of the Pops by Alan (Fluff) Freeman on Sunday 25th August. The reason I know this is that I was on St. Brelades Beach in Jersey with a good mate and chatting up 2 sisters when it came on the radio. ;)
    The next day we flew back to Southend Airport and took the train to Upton Park and met up with some more mates to watch West Ham hammer Burnley 5-0. :scarf:
  • I remember watching this on Top of the Pops (September 1968 apparently) but it was first shown on "Frost on Sunday" which was broadcast at 9pm, past my bedtime.

They invited a bunch of fans who used to hang around outside Abbey Road down to Twickenham to take part in the recording along with some locals who happened to be passing.

Noel Gallagher's dad 6:52 doesn't look too impressed...
  • https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/mark-noble-will-never-die-239776

Well this is rather good.

Sounds like it's written by a West Ham fan with a genuine affection for the club (or Mark Noble, at least), but very much tongue-firmly-in-cheek
  • At 18:45 it was my turn to receive the ‘call us now on this number email’ from Travel Republic. It’s 20:00 and I’m still on hold. Their web site has them finishing the working day at 19:00 so I’m probably on some dead air hold loop. God knows how much this call will end up costing!

I would imagine my Thomas Cook replacement flights, should there be any left, are now three times the price.

It’s really sweet of the travel industry to put up their prices for flights. It due to demand apparently. I’m more inclined to think it’s due to greed.

• edited September 2019
    It's the free market economy.

Demand is the same as greed.

Capitalism, init.
  • Where are you stuck, suz?
  • In my living room at present!

We were due to fly to Turkey on October 7th.
  • If you are going to have to fund your flights all over again, you might find cheaper ones if you switch to a destination that isn't a Thomas Cook package route?

ie, a less in demand route?

It's really awful for those affected. (Unless they voted to leave the EU, in which case ... suck it up, it's what ya voted for :angry: )

:hug:
  • We didn’t have a TC package deal.

We booked the resort, speedy transfer and flights via Travel Republic. Only our flights are TC.

Travel Republic have offered a full refund but I want replacement flights.
  • I’m going to really hacked off if I don’t get to go on holiday.

But at least I have a job. I didn’t turn up for work on Monday to find the place had closed.
  • edited September 2019
    Good Luck. I hope you get them. I'm a bit unclear about what ATOL are covering. :redwine: to keep you going.

Edit - there has always been an issue if you have a split booking. Each party tries to wriggle out of responsibility when something goes wrong.

Years ago, I booked a flight only with a package company but sorted out my own accommodation etc. To Turkey, by coincidence.

When I got to the airport for the return flight, it turns out they'd overbooked and I was turfed off. I found myself in Dalaman airport with no money, a travel rep who denied any responsibility because I hadn't booked a package, and no flight home.

Bizarrely, they had also overbooked the outward flight but because some folks had not turned up I got on the flight without any problems. As it transpired, I wasn't on the passenger manifest, so there was no record of me having flown to Turkey.

So, as I wasn't in Turkey, nobody had any responsibility to fly me home. :wahoo: Monty Python time.
  • Did an edit, sorry.
  • edited September 2019
    We are fully covered.

We either go for a full refund of all monies paid to Travel Republic. Or replacement flights.

My call was finally answered after over 2 hours on hold. The man said there were flights available but I would have to pay some more money. I asked how much and he said ‘I’ll just put you on hold and find out’ then cut me off.

I’m now having a gin and tonic.
  • :deadhorse:
This discussion has been closed.