Smash Those Potters - Stoke (A) Match Thread 16.12.17 3pm

Comments

• The choice language aside, that could have been this site after the Everton game. I certainly felt then how they're feeling now so I have some sympathy.

But thankfully it looks like we've turned a corner. Not close to safe yet, but closer than we were two weeks ago.
  • Great deal to smirk at here, but the language is frequently foul. Arnie's goal is p18.

http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/274079/stoke-city-west-ham-united

Could so easily have been us, so ta ever so very much to Mr Moyes.

They should be relegated on the fact that that forum doesn't have next page links at the BOTTOM of the page. Read a page, scroll back up to the top to go to the next page.
  • Suze start the barcodes thread now ;scarf

We've got the gooners first, pathman! ;scarf
  • edited December 2017
    Does that mean hart plays
  • I bet this went down well with the Potters ;lol

1AA0DCA6-912E-40F6-A435-4BBD90B536BB

Went down well with us ;lol
  • alderz said:

I tell you what, that is some god awful defending. Three Stoke players let him run off them, Shawcross 5 years deeper played him on

5 years deeper? Blimey, he was deep. ;lol
  • edited December 2017
    Cracking result. Some excellent counter attacking football with Arnie at the front of it.

Regarding the ‘dive’, very interesting. Lanzini clearly goes to ground too early expecting the contact, but the contact he was predicting does eventually come, it’s just it’s not when he expects it.

Reckon he’ll be charged though.
  • Seen the pen incident that is a dive sorry. Can see why it is given as a pen as the defender gives the ref a decision but sorry Lanzini could have stood and had that being the other way around i would have being mad about that decision.

How many games would he miss if found guilty of simulation ?
  • Yea i think its a dive

But tbh i dont really care

Regardless stoke had 0 shots on target and we had sooo many chances

If arnie can keep this form up....that is some player we have
  • He’ll miss two games if charged and found guilty.
  • Missing Newcastle and Bouremouth 2 huge games. Hopefully Hernandez can step into that role he seems the most capable to.
  • What a great afternoon that was. Just left the pub adjacent to the ground when the power went off, it affected the local trading estate. Apparently it was a power surge hence the generators being knocked out.
    My concern was if we could turn our deep lying defensive performances into an attacking one. Well that was answered in the affirmative. Good all round performance with the defence still well disciplined.
    Arnie was immense and should have scored a couple more. Lanzini was brilliant and it looked like a penalty from where we were but a soft one on the box.

Happy days.

COYI
  • IH - I was also in said pub but fortunate enough to hear the game was delayed before I left so had another couple of pints. A very good afternoon / evening all round!! ;scarf
  • edited December 2017
    Well here goes, dear mr Moyes sorry for doubting you having came into the job and looking like you haven’t got a clue for the first few games you have shown me in the last four that it is actually me that knows nothing didn’t want you near my club one jot but will say here and now sorry and hope you keep us up and are rewarded with a 2-3 year contract and together be United COYI yours cuz1
  • Arnautavic had such a desire to score. He was always on the move or adjusting himself to find space and provide an attacking option to our other players. Ok his finishing was a bit dissapointing but I don't mind that if he keeps getting into positions and puts one of them away. Some players would've lost confidence and belief after missing a few of those and then stopped making those good runs - but Arnie was not one of those players today.
  • edited December 2017
    Pace, beautiful pace. So lovey to see us running in behind and having pace. Chances can come in an instant. Haven’t seen that in years.
  • I think there is too much grey area in that penalty and only Lanzini really knows. My issue is if you are not allowed to react to a fast approaching impact they are asking you to override momentary instinct which is the body taking evasive action to get out the way. I don't think Moyes helped him by coming out with that fatigued rubbish, the answer he should have given is to 'look at the speed of the defender and the certainty of the impact as the defender had committed, I think he tries to prevent getting clattered which happens anyway'.

The ref was also well placed and didn't hesitate. Refs are getting worse however, the incidents in the City Spurs match that could have been red carded should be looked at, Kane got his head nearly taken off and De Bruyen could have had two broken legs.

Should Lanzini pick up a ban however we will really miss him as we actually have a good bench at present but sadly no one who plays the role and can do what he does. Probably the most irreplaceable in the whole team at present.
  • If Lanzini is banned, they did to go over all the penalties awarded in similar circumstances and especially against us.
  • edited December 2017
    If Lanzini is banned, they did need to go over all the penalties awarded in similar circumstances and especially against us.
  • Personally I think it was a blatant dive and I think he will be banned. Will be such a shame as yesterday was his best performance of the season otherwise, and he showed how good he can be.
  • edited December 2017
    It’s a dive and he’ll be banned. Hopefully before Tues and we accept and he misses the cup game (?) as one of them.

But it was not him trying to con a pen. If he was it’s disgusting. He, IMO, is trying to predict the tackle after just running 50 yards at full pelt. The guy comes steaming over and it looks for all the world he’s going to wipe him out, he pulls out but still touches him.

But what will go against him is he is clearly falling before the thigh on thigh contact. Had he just waited for the inevitable touch from Pieters we’d have got the pen and he’d not be banned.

Shame. He played so well as well.
  • Yes, it’s a definite dive, imo. BUT, I think when anyone initiates contact first by throwing themselves into the defender (a classic Vardy/Alli move), it should at least not be a penalty. These types of penalties are given very often.

You shouldn’t be able to fall down down first, make the defender touch you and win a penalty.

These incidents are slightly different to Lanzini’s because they are less obvious, but they do annoy me.

The Calvert Lewin penalty against Liverpool is an example. You can see he lifts himself off the ground and throws himself into the defender. It’s subtle but it’s not right since he’s not in control of his body and he’s trying to win a penalty.
  • Arnie was the one signing I was very happy with when we got him. So I'm really pleased he's becoming the player for us we saw at Stoke. I know there were a fair few neg comments about him ( the sending off deservedly so ) but hes winning most of us over now Id say? I've not taken to Moyes and was very concerned by the appointment. However, credit where its due, hes had an impact and got the players levels of effort etc up appreciably!
  • We actually looked like a football team yesterday. We had a formation, we had a plan and we had discipline. Late in the game when Stoke were on a break away you looked down to see a line of 4 defenders across the penalty area. They got back and got into position. For us to do that so late in the game was a sight pleasant to behold.
  • edited December 2017
    And that bloke who tried to wipe Lanzini out before the pen on halfway should also face retrospective action. Lose all sympathy for the ‘soft pen’ when a player tries to cynically do that.
  • Imagine being able WANTING to watch Match of the Day twice in a week ;wahoo

That looks better ;biggrin

• Can't a foul be given (elsewhere on the pitch) even if contact is not made?

For example, what happens if a player goes charging in, sliding 2 footed, and the other player manages to take evasive action by jumping.

So if that is the case - it the same judgement can be applied in the penalty area.
  • Well well, how things have improved at the club.
    The last 4 games have seen aWest Ham I feared had gone but yesterday’s display was fantastic . Not just for the result after a long delay it was the way we won.
    I would also like to thank Marco for really seeming to give the fans something that I thought had been missing for so long.
    The passion and desire he showed was fantastic and the way he gave everything for the team in a hostile environment was commendable.
    There was a lovely bit where after he had been subbed and Mark Hughes had made a fool of himself. Marco walked down the touch line and the West Ham fans cheered him like I have not seen for years.
    Keep it up Marco and you could achieve greatness at the club.
  • Hart will have to wait until Adrian has a couple of bad days.
  • C&B I don't think saying "he tries to prevent getting clattered" is a good thing to say either. That implies that he went down before he was touched to avoid being touched ie he dived.
    Worse than getting a 2 game ban, if in fact he does, is that referees will doubt him from now on.
This discussion has been closed.