Smash Those Potters - Stoke (A) Match Thread 16.12.17 3pm

Comments

• I only saw one replay of the penalty, but I'm sure the defender made first contact with Lanzini's foot as he slid in, which I think started the 'dive'.
  • Collins in garth crooks team of the week
  • i think the defenders hip does catch Lanzini. Penalty in my view but I accept it is a soft one
  • I don`t think it was a penalty, and neither do I think it was a dive, I can`t see what all the fuss is about. The referee made a pigs ear of it, although I can see why he gave it. You see far far worse nearly every game, if Lanzini gets a retrospective ban I would like whoever makes these decisions to look back at our recent game with Man City, players dropping like flies in that one. We never get decisions like this go our way, for once we have, the big bonus for me is it`s against Stoke. I don`t like Stoke.
    ;scarf
  • Well, if they punish Lanzini for what he did, they should shoot Kane and Ali for their two tackles. Absolute disgrace imo.
  • edited December 2017
    If they let Zaha off then I don't see how they can punish Lanzini
  • Lanzini dived the same as the Ars game, it's in his makeup not nice to admit when it's one of your own but it's the case.

Alli is turning into a nasty dude, its gets overlooked when he plays well but that's not the case at the moment.

Kane wasn't great but I view that as a strikers tackle.
  • Nah, sorry Vorse but I don't agree. It was studs up, reckless and dangerous.

As I said at the time, if that was Arnautovic or Carroll making that challenge, they're getting sent off, IMO
  • edited December 2017
    I thought Kane's was clumsy and Alli's was malicious. Maybe a case of me mentally going with prior reputation? Alli has shown a fair few times that hes a nasty piece of work and it doesnt take a lot to get him steamed up
  • I agree Baz, but he gets away with it ;angry
  • Oh, not sure if this has been mentioned but Moyesy, as we like to call him now, waved back to the fans when the 'Moyesy, Moyesy give us a wave' chant went up. ;biggrin
  • Great result and performance, the last 3 games have reminded me of Slavs first season or even the start of Sams final season. Clearly we do have the players to do it when fit, on form and full of confidence.

I was extremely sceptical about Moyes being our manager, also the run of games he had. He’s proving me wrong and long may it continue. This feels like Moyes or Everton not Sunderland.

Cracking read on that stoke fan site, reminded me of the old 606 days for some reason. Can’t say I blame some of their anger we’ve been at that point a few times, also the KUMB away fans view another corking read.

Well done Arnie, wasn’t sold on him at the start and didn’t think he’d really do too much but he’s loving it.

Special mention to Ginge, comes into a revamped defence that was settled and doing well and you’d never notice Reid was missing ;clap also Ogbonna looks like the Italian defender we thought we’d bought

Regarding the penalty it’s a dive all day long, he knew exactly what he was doing, forget all this “well there was contact”. It wasn’t as blatant as some you’d see because of the way they came together but Lanzini shame on you son, we tend not to do that at this club, you should know that by now, it doesn’t sit well at all. If he gets a ban we will have to take it on the chin(s).

Stoke fans really went for it against Arnie, nice for it to work in our favour for once he could easily of had a hat trick, but before we get too above ourselves, let’s not forget what our fans did to the likes of Lampard for a decade and got mugged off nearly every time? We looked a two bob outfit she. Some of ours did that to him and all he did was try and better himself (that’s not a pop at you Jorderz your comment just reminded me of the situation) because our chairman at the time managed to sack his dad / uncle and not make the player feel wanted before rubbing his hands at the £11m fee

Anyway onwards and upwards, feels good going into the cup and Xmas now

coyi

• edited December 2017
    Next name Slizzy ?

and it wasn't a dive, so there ;pokeouttongueinjestsmiley
  • Izzy - it was a dive, but I think Lanzini was a bit unlucky. He’d ran 60 yards at full pelt, rides two challenges and then gets into the box and sees Pieters come steaming over ready to lunge. He expects the tackle, it doesn’t come, he falls, then gets touched and ref gives it. I expect him to get banned. I don’t think he was trying to cheat. Only he will know.

Stoke. As Jorderz beautifully put it, what a joke of a club. Crouch back up front? God it must be desperate for them. And Hughes, who I didn’t mind, completely showed himself up to be a complete idiot. Meant to be setting the example, and decides to get into a schoolboy spat with a former colleague. No wonder his side are so ugly to watch, taking after their gaffer and his antics.

Say what you like about counter attacking football (Leicester and the like) but boy can it be brilliant to watch. One minute camped on the edge of your own box with 7 back. The next, in the box at the other end banging in a goal, all in less than 20 seconds. Good stuff. Cresswell and Masuaku were excellent, Arnie was on a personal man mission (hope it’s not just because it was Stoke), Obiang looked very assured and Lanzini was the Lanzini we’ve missed all season. Confidence is flooding back and we certainly look a confidence side.
  • "As for time wasting, at one stage they switched the 'thrower' three times. At this occasion he decided to show a yellow card when West Ham must have taken over a full minute to take a throw in"....

Can you spell i r o n y ?

• Manu charged
  • Well, technically, it has been referred to an independent panel.

He will only be charged if they find against him.
  • On sky sports they are saying the panel agreed and he has been charged
  • Right decision. Blatant dive IMo, sadly.
  • From the BBC

West Ham playmaker Manuel Lanzini has been charged by the Football Association for diving during Saturday's Premier League win at Stoke. The Argentine fell to the ground as he was challenged by defender Erik Pieters and the Hammers were awarded a penalty, which put them 1-0 up in a 3-0 victory.

Lanzini has until 18:00 GMT on Tuesday, 19 December to respond to the charge.
  • I have just watched it again, I don`t see it as a dive, I think he was expecting a collision and responded to that, I think it was an "anticipatory fall". I do think that a review process is the right way to go, and retrospective bans are the right action to take, hopefully this will stamp out diving and cheating. However, this charge is one of "deceiving the referee". What if you claim a corner, knowing full well you touched the ball last, (happens with countless throw ins and corners) and said corner leads to a goal. Surely the player claiming the corner can also be charged with "deceiving the referee". There are many grey areas with this and whenever incidents are to be judged they need to be clear cut, this isn`t clear cut IMO.
  • If he gets punished, it's fair enough.

However, I'll be watching very closely for some consistency from the FA on this issue.
  • OCS, of course he'll get punished, we haven't been punished for any thing recently so it's only to be expected ;whistle
  • Does Hernandez take Manu's spot ? and does the ban account for cup games also ? in which case he will miss the Newcastle game.
  • Can't have any complaints IMO.
    Hope club just accept it & move on..
    He can be ready & waiting for our Boxing Day game away at Bournemouth
  • One thing that annoys me with this retrospective thing is that Dele Alli cannot be retrospectively punished because the ref saw it and carded him "accordingly". Everyone to a man believes he should have seen red, the tackle was a leg breaker and potentially career ending. Surely the rules need to change so that an incident like this can also be brought before a panel. Madness otherwise.
  • If he appeals and loses do they add to the matches?

To appeal I'm not sure what new evidence he could have to back up the appeal..

It's seems like a do you want to get killed by Gun or Knife choice.
  • However, this charge is one of "deceiving the referee". What if you claim a corner, knowing full well you touched the ball last, (happens with countless throw ins and corners) and said corner leads to a goal. Surely the player claiming the corner can also be charged with "deceiving the referee". There are many grey areas with this and whenever incidents are to be judged they need to be clear cut, this isn`t clear cut IMO.

You can only be charged under the rules as they stand, for a breach of the laws of the game. Until they change the rules, claiming a corner, or an offside or whatever isn't against the rules as they stand.

So I have to disagree. This (charge) really is clear cut.
  • Mrs G, but the charge is one of deceiving the referee, did Lanzini dive, did his legs give way, was he taking evasive action. No one knows but Lanzini. Shin a ball off for a goal kick but appeal for a corner is as blatant as it gets.
  • He be banned we West Ham, as for Kane and ali imo Kane’s was an over the top typical forward as for Ali well I will say it, overrated childish petulant thug who again imo should never wear the England shirt again he to me just goes looking for trouble and not be missed if not picked he’s good but struts about like he’s great not a fan if you hadn’t guessed !!!!!
This discussion has been closed.