Board/Fan Relationship

Comments

• The pig thing. Is that because you just agreed with Grey, or was it the £60 million transfer kitty??
  • Bbb

A DOF makes sense...my only issue is how much responsibility will the Dave's give this DOF?

I suspect every single deal will need to be signed off by the Dave's...and if so then all we get is a yes man/woman ;puzzled
  • It (the level of responsibility) will be part of the job description/contract, presumably.

We may or may not get to know the details (after all, why should we - people are entitled to privacy in their employment matters (unless they are public servants).

• Seeing as over the last 5 years we have had a decent net spend our problem has been spending it properly
  • If you don't a certain amount of a yes man/woman, then all I can see happening is arguments between them and the owners. Is that what any of us want to see?
  • Les Reed at Southampton would have been a good shout, their academy has been impressive over the years, and, lets face it, they've made a few bob selling on. I dont know if he is still DOF though.

I'll check
  • Nope - been kicked upstairs onto the Saints board
  • When did that happen? Has he overseen their downfall?
  • Now Vice chairman of football it says.
  • I bet Harry is getting his application ready as we speak.
  • Well another spiv upstairs wouldn’t hurt
  • Munich, when did selling weapons to terrorists become illegal. Most governments do it. Nice little earner.

I know and it does bother me. Generally speaking I couldn't care less about how people make a living but I draw a personal line at arms dealers. I know that it isn't illegal a lot of the time but I think that it should be more often than not.
  • I want someone who has done the job before. I don't really care if he has any connection to West Ham, in fact I can't think of any of our past players who have been a Director of football before. I just want someone to just come in, do the job, no fuss and do it well.
  • The job of a director of football, as I understand it, is to lead on recruitment. Essentially, to be the head of scouting and negotiating with new players and other clubs for transfers. They don't set the budget, but they do spend it. So it's not about being a 'yes man' or not, because they will always be working within the confines of the budget.

The trouble is, any good signing we make under a DOF will be used by some as a stick to show that we were wrong not to have one before, and any bad signing we make under DOF will be used as an accusation that they are merely a puppet for Sullivan.
  • I’m old school to be honest a manager lives and dies by results so surely he should be the one to say what players he wants and to have the final say on this
  • How about we have a manager and a DOF who work together. How about they both get together, find out between them what the squad needs and then go about acquiring said players.
  • A manager should decide which players they want but that doesn't mean they have to be the one handling the transfer/contract negotiations, a good DOF can do that for a manager leaving them to focus on managing the squad
  • Preston, that would be ideal.

But there will always be differences of opinion at some point about some player... it's inevitable.

I believe a manager must always have the last say. (If players don't perform, he's the one who gets sacked, never the DOF.) Which is why many managers won't work under a DOF.

So it will be interesting to see how it pans out in respect of Moyes staying on/a new manager coming in .
  • I don't think the DOF and Manager should come together, tbh. I think the DOF should be in charge of appointing a manager, and should be a longer term appointment.

I know they are having a tough season, but the Southampton model has been the one to follow. Les Reed has been there for years as DOF, and even when managers come and go the style of football, the principles of the club (i.e. blooding young players), and the transfer policy has remained the same.

IMO, we need a DOF who is here for the long haul, who will carry the vision of the club and lead on recruitment (of players and other staff). And then appoint Head Coaches instead of a Manager.
  • Why is AC there he can't play....

I seem to see more pictures of him on various beaches than on a pitch...
  • I have absolutely no problem with their being on the beach enjoying themselves with some team bonding just so long as they're putting in the hard graft in the training sessions.
    They weren't responsible for what happened Saturday and had it not occurred who knows if we may have got back into the game and won it.
  • I have absolutely no problem with their being on the beach enjoying themselves with some team bonding just so long as they're putting in the hard graft in the training sessions.

This.
  • Another own goal though
    We can't get out pictures of the guys working hard in training b4 the twittersphere publishes this.
  • This is a side which had just been thrashed in their last two games and also recently been humbled by Wigan in the cup. Although no-one can say for sure what would have happened, my money would have been on us losing the game even if the crowd disturbance hadn’t happened. Just my opinion though.
  • Another own goal though
    We can't get out pictures of the guys working hard in training b4 the twittersphere publishes this.

I agree - after the toxic scenes at the ground, not the smartest of moves. How hard they train (I’m sure they do) is not the issue here.
  • Couple of things:

this trip would have been organised some time in advance, so cancellation would have been a bit dramatic, imo, and as likely, if not more, to provoke media comment.

The trip was clearly organised in the expectation that it would do the players/coaching staff good. That doesn't change whether or not they did well in their most recent game.

I'm unclear as to why we should care what the Twitterati publish or think.
  • edited March 2018
    It's only an 'own goal' if one thinks it counts against the club in some way.

I don't.

Story: A Premier League team has gone away for warm weather training. Reaction ;tumbleweed