The new manager hunt (was the Moyes thread) only 3 days to wait...

Comments

• edited May 2018

If that's correct and he is the one who has decided to break then it suggests that the board aren't really that willing to change.

It's also been reported at a 6th month deal based on a direct quote from the manager, so it probably isn't correct.

Asked when his West Ham contract officially expires, Moyes said: “Midnight, I think. I’ll take my suit off at midnight okay, undo my tie a little bit…be back on the streets come midnight!” (Telegraph)
  • It's more important that we get the right manager as to when we get him.
  • edited May 2018
    Sadly I don’t think most of us have much faith that Sullivan & Gold will get this right.
  • IronHerb said:

It's more important that we get the right manager as to when we get him.

I agree in principle but it’s no good if the right person isn’t installed till July, he needs to be appointed assess the squad who he needs, who to let go and if nobody as been sounded out then the man who as kept us up should be given the reigns
  • Of course, even if he's the right manager when he's appointed, it's only a matter of time before he's the wrong manager.
  • Must admit, never heard of him, but this Fonseca bloke (after a bit of googling) sounds quite interesting. If Moyes is replaced, and it looks like he will be, then Fonseca looks like a pretty strong candidate. And I`m in the "must be a quick decision camp" myself. Whoever the manager is needs a full summer at it. Our best need persuading to stay, and we need quality signings as early as possible. Not gonna happen with no manager in place. ;scarf
  • edited May 2018
    Daily Express says we are interested in Dyche.

Please, no.

What on earth would be the point?
  • edited May 2018
    MrsGrey said:

Of course, even if he's the right manager when he's appointed, it's only a matter of time before he's the wrong manager.

Now we need a 'sad but true' smiley...

Assuming they have decided not to retain Moyes, then I am very much afraid that we have joined the 'revolving door' school of managerial appointments.
  • Guess a lot depends on what expectations people have, the West Ham way flirting with relegation mid table all these seems to require a different type of manager, can we have both good football and mid to top 8 with just one type, hell yes appoint Rafa with 70/80 million and go for it
  • The good thing about all of this so far is that our owners have said absolutely nothing. After Sam they were saying things like appointing someone who had been there and done it in the major leagues (or something to that effect) and then failed to land their targets.

I’d be quite happy for them to continue to say nothing at all until a decision and appointment has been made
  • I was reading up about Fonseca yesterday, and looking back through his history on Transfermarkt. With Shakhtar he has typically played 4-2-3-1, but when he first joined them and with both Porto and Pacos de Ferreira he played what transfermarkt calls "4-4-2 Double 6".

Basically, that's a 4-4-2 with two holding midfielders and the wingers pretty much playing as wide attackers, closer to a 4-2-4 than a traditional 4-4-2.

Adrian; Zabaleta Rice Ogbonna Cresswell; Noble Obiang; Antonio Lanzini; Arnie Hernandez

;hmm
  • Just hearing back four makes me shiver

But we need to find a way to play with a back 4
    without being awful defensively
  • edited May 2018
    We need a manager and new players in. If we go into next year with this squad and 1 or 2 signings we will be battling relegation again. The squad has so many holes in it.
  • The one thing I've enjoyed about this season is Arnie.

Arnie has given Moyes a lot of credit and come out saying he wants him to stay.

It worries me a lot that we're considering Moyes go with no (apparent) successor lined up already, when he has got the best out of our best player and clearly has at least his support.
  • so from rumours we have

Fonseca
    Emery
    Benitez
    Pellegrini
    Dyche
  • Slizzy

What's 'scattergun'?

We have no idea how the board have decided to consider potential managers, or what criteria they are using.

They haven't come out and said anything (which I am assuming everyone is applauding.) Surely you aren't using meejah rumours to judge them?

• I can't see Pellegrini joining as Chinese season still mid season and Dyche will probably stay at Burnley . Emery was at PSG and does n't speak English seems a step down to be honest. So Fonseca is available looks best bet, I think Rafa will only leave Newcastle if we offer him loads of money to spend and I can't see that happening
  • Wage hike?

for Rafa, or players ;puzzled
  • Rafa would be a big appointment, as it would indicate that they are happy to fulfil his wants and needs that Newcastle are not; namely some money to spend in the market.
  • If we can't get Howe Unai Emery / Rafa Benitez I would be in favour of.

Not sure on Pellegrini don't think it would work.

Fonseca don't know much really.
  • I read that as a hike in Rafa's wages.

The autonomy over transfers is key for me though. Give him money. Let him spend it.

Quite encouraged by this. Hopefully it's got some legs.
  • https://talksport.com/football/rafa-benitez-declares-he-only-talking-newcastle-despite-links-napoli-everton-and-leicester

That's from yesterday and includes some quotes:
    "My future? I've heard so much talk, but I haven't spoken to [Napoli chairman] Aurelio de Laurentiis. I have a contract with Newcastle, I'm talking to them about my renewal.

"They made me some offers to stay here for a few more years, plus I have to manage my family. When I decided to go to Newcastle and stay there, even in the Championship, it was also because of my family.

"My priority is to stay in England. I'm only talking to Newcastle right now."
    The interesting part is the last line, "right now". ;hmm
  • Not sure that's a genuine tweet though ;hmm

'@SkySportsKeth'. I'd be surprised if Keith Downie would spell his name wrong in his own handle.

Just checked; his official handle is '@SkySports_Keith'

So yeah, no legs at all I suspect
  • I have to say that I'm pretty underwhelmed by just about every name that's been mentioned except maybe Benitez. I honestly think that Moyes is at least as good as all of them. By the way, I'm not saying that I think he's that brilliant either but none of the others particularly inspire me.
  • As OCS says, that is a spoof account skysportsketh (no 'i')
  • Benitez woukd be a majot upgrade fir me

Offers everything good about Moyes plus more

Wouldnt mind the shaktar guy he seems exciting

But im not feeling confident
  • This is west ham, we could get pep and mess things up :)
  • edited May 2018
    Pep and Messi? Oh!

;yercoat
This discussion has been closed.