Palace (A) can we clip the Eagles wings or will we fade & die (Match Thread 28.10.17)

Comments

• Jeez some of these comments, yes it’s disappointing to let one in so late on and with a individual mistake but we had two defensive injuries that forced our hand and two defensive errors to lead to their goals.

We couldn’t bring on any attacking players due to the above.

Individual errors, once again causing all our problems

• just keep the ball and wind down the clown. Moronic.

Never want to do that, especially with Ham around.
  • If we hadn't been scuppered by injuries, I would have liked AC on for Chicarito. Who was strolling around in an offside position when we had the ball down at their end in the last 20 mins or so. ;angry

• adecoker said:

Shopping list at the ready I'm going out to buy my tea and put the Lottery on. Nothing to worry about here. When was the last West Ham game you can remember when a team came back from two down to win.

Just back from the shops. The game doesn't seem to have gone quite according to plan but we didn't get beaten and that's the most important thing.

Prawn sweet and sour for tea. You're welcome to come and join me because there's more than enough to go around. I'll be keeping all my Lottery Jackpot winnings for myself though.
  • Can we please stop excusing Antonio by saying it isn't his position. It is his attitude whilst playing it that lets him down. He has all the attributes for a RWB in the Walker mould (in fact if he practised at it he could potentially be as good), he has immense strength, great pace, decent cross, superb dribbler, excellent heading, good at staying on the wing. His weaknesses (other than attitude) are his football brain, intricate passing, creativity with ball at feet other than running with it - and those are attributes needed for an attacking midfielder / inside winger. Theoretically it should be his best position if he tried - also if he wants to think selfishly it's his most likely chance for England too, because as an attacking midfielder he isn't international level.
  • Grey, I blame Bilic for setting the team to simply defend for 45 mins. Their defence is woeful, we should have gone for the kill and put the game out of sight
  • Wouldn’t be surprised that Antonio was also upset at not starting. Someone should do a mock up with him spitting his dummy out
  • Florin ;ok

Valencia and Ashley young played RB and LB today, both bought as wingers by Man U.

Delph plays LB at City.

Milner plays just about everywhere for Liverpool..

Attitude gets you the big money moves....
  • Grey, I blame Bilic for setting the team to simply defend for 45 mins. Their defence is woeful, we should have gone for the kill and put the game out of sight

I don't think he did Twisty. It was after the Palace goal, the players were suddenly terrified and played with total fear thereafter.

He could potentially be blamed for not getting them to stay confident after we concede (and this has happened all season) but I don't think he specifically asked them to just defend after half time. Our players lose confidence and play with fear too easily.
  • who wants the next thread :( stupid stupid stupid football
  • Just seen an interview with Joe Hart on the BBC. He looked really upset & initially struggled to explain his dismay at what happened at the end. He used the words "professionalism" and "not doing something on purpose" I think we all know who he was referring to.
  • We can blame Antonio all we want but we invited them to come at us for the whole 2nd half. Even in that final attack, instead of closing them down we back-peddled and gave them so much space to come forward. So yes, Antonio gave the ball away but we (the whole team) still let them advance from their goal to our goal. It wasn't just a punt forward by the goal keeper that led to their goal.
  • who wants the next thread :( stupid stupid stupid football

You get that honour, we didn't lose
  • We are so bad though.
  • Obviously I’m very disappointed with the result. After Wednesday night’s result, I decided to start with an unchanged tactic of not watching the match, thanks to which we went 2-0 up before half time. In the second half, I grew complacent, and decided to give the new lad (live updates via the Onefootball app) a run out. It was this desertion of a winning formula of me not keeping an eye on the game that ultimately cost us the two points, and you can’t blame me for being down. But I see this as a learning experience, and the key is to go back to winning ways for the next match, and make sure I have no idea what’s going on until after the final whistle.
  • Fortune, ;ok I think for a lot of players this will be the turning point, a complete lack of individual consideration and application for basic game management has cost us an important win. IMO of all the things that have happened, this will be the one that gets the biggest reaction and I believe Biic will either publicly or privately, read the riot act and directly call it out because it is individual basic decisions and with an almost fully fit squad and the spurs result alot of players could be left out if they are not doing the basics.
  • 1 jammy point against Brighton and Palace. So so bad.
  • Just seen an interview with Joe Hart on the BBC. He looked really upset & initially struggled to explain his dismay at what happened at the end. He used the words "professionalism" and "not doing something on purpose" I think we all know who he was referring to.

need to watch this. If that’s the case, it’s disgraceful to a level I never thought.

Bilic won’t read them the riot act. He’s had plenty of opportunities to do it before.
  • Three points from the Championship teams so far, with a -4 goal difference.

Hate this season.
  • edited October 2017
    Just cheered myself up looking at the spurs you tube video on that thread, at least we did not lose. I would have taken a point at the start given how inept we are.
  • Just doesn't look good when you look at how we are going to get enough points to stay up.
  • Ham ;ok At best, another 27 points needed.

Seems a long, long way away at the moment.
  • Wouldn’t have taken a draw as we need points on the board now. Some tough games coming...
  • sweepy,

It doesn't look good for us. I agree if he has already read the riot act it's not had much effect.
  • Jeez some of these comments, yes it’s disappointing to let one in so late on and with a individual mistake but we had two defensive injuries that forced our hand and two defensive errors to lead to their goals.

We couldn’t bring on any attacking players due to the above.

Individual errors, once again causing all our problems

Spot on
  • edited October 2017
    Moments like that are the exact reason I’ve never taken to Antonio.

Self-interested liability.
  • Cheer up guys we've got Liverpool next...

Salah, Coutinho, Firmino and Sturridge....

;puzzled
  • Lukerz said:

Moments like that are the exact reason I’ve never taken to Antonio.

Self-interested liability.

I feel Antonio is getting all the blame when Ogbonna was at fault too for the first goal (not the first time he's gone into a tackle in the box with his arms up).

Having said that, Ogbonna's was sheer clumsiness while Antonio seemed to not care (judging by his body language). It's a shame because so many of the players today and last match showed they wanted to perform for Bilic and West Ham and really cared about their performance. Normally Antonio gives 100% but something is up with him recently.

Let's hope next week there isn't another player that decides to have a moment of madness.
  • Which of the current first team squad will hang around in the Championship, do you reckon? ;hmm

Adrian, possibly, if we can keep him this season. Noble and Ginge, obvs. Rice too I reckon, and Byram.

As for the rest, they'll probably leave. Which at the moment I'm ok with to be honest.
  • We got a point, I'm more chilled now than the 97th minute, but thinking back , that really was a poor performance...
    If Antonio had not made the schoolboy show off error I'd have tomorrow thinking we were well lucky to hang on to the points, but that last gasp goal made my weekend feeling down.....
    That was a another poor performance IMO regardless of end result ....
This discussion has been closed.