Palace (A) can we clip the Eagles wings or will we fade & die (Match Thread 28.10.17)

Comments

• The "West Ham Way"
  • edited October 2017
    It’s not the West Ham way just give up, ie walk about not track back so on
  • edited October 2017
    Funny because what Antonio tried to do I have absolutely no problem with. I don’t think anybody should be ripped apart for showing ambition. He had the chance to pick out any one of 3 West Ham players and the game would’ve been over with potentially a nice tint on the final score. Ayew, Hernandez or whoever would’ve either smashed it into the net or into the stands. The whistle would’ve gone.

What was unforgivable was the complete lack of technical skill to execute what was an easy cross and the body language as he did it. Almost like ‘I don’t care what happens to this ball’ type attitude. Once he made the decision to not go to the corner, he has to find a player. As it was the man he was meant to be defending against was now free on the edge of our box. I know the rest of the team could've done more but the fact was they were all pretty fatigued after 45 mins of constant defending. That showed in the way we defended the goal. All Kouyate had to do was usher Zaha onto his left foot and he wouldn’t have cut inside and shot. But, probably due to mental fatigue, he didn’t do that and Zaha’s feet were quicker than his.

I still think Hart was very slow to react given the game he had but appreciate it was not his fault the ball went in.

But like others have said, the bigger question is how did a fully strength team (other than Reid), including 3 of our signings in the 11, manage to get dominated by the leagues bottom side? The season hasn’t been completely dreadful. We had a very good second half v Saints, were ok against Huddersfield, good second half at Spurs, ok at Burnley and WBA, good in the first 2 cup games, ok against Spurs in the league second half, but then absolutely awful at Man Utd, Newcastle and against Brighton. What we showed against Palace was something we don’t often show, ruthlessness and individual brilliance to put us in the driving seat. We would’ve come away, had it not been for two poor pieces of execution, with a 0-2 win from almost 0 chances created. A good week after Brighton and approaching Liverpool in good spirits.

We show signs of being on the verge of being an ok side, then shoot ourselves in the foot. Only earlier this year (Feb) we were 9th in the league. So after his first 18 months in charge, Slav had us 7th and then sitting 9th. But the rest of the year has been pretty substandard.

So frustrating. Especially when we all want Bilic to succeed. I think he would succeed under different circumstances, but with the owners we have I don’t see how we can go on much longer playing as we have in the last two league games.
  • Joe Hart made Crooks' team of the week.
  • That's not necessarily a good indicator Mrs G, ;whistle ,although he did play a blinder imo.
  • Lukerz said:

Funny because what Antonio tried to do I have absolutely no problem with. I don’t think anybody should be ripped apart for showing ambition. He had the chance to pick out any one of 3 West Ham players and the game would’ve been over with potentially a nice tint on the final score. Ayew, Hernandez or whoever would’ve either smashed it into the net or into the stands. The whistle would’ve gone.

f

But Lukerz... You don't get more points for winning 3-1 than you do 2-1.
    It was brainless. I would be going mad if i was in that team. He's literally cost us the game. Just keep it in the corner and we win.
  • Lukerz said:
    "What was unforgivable was the complete lack of technical skill to execute what was an easy cross and the body language as he did it. Almost like ‘I don’t care what happens to this ball’ type attitude." ;ok

Also look at his expression when Slav puts him on and he seems to ignore Zab as they cross. He needs to understand it's about the team - no room for prima donnas. ;angry
  • What about when Antonio lost the ball a few minutes earlier in the corner. He made zero effort to keep it or turn his body to guard the ball. He pretty much passed it to them. Twice in a few minutes!
  • Enough said about our new scapegoat Antonio... I would like to point a finger at Masuaku, who gave away a foul in a dangerous area roughly every 7 minutes, or 90% of the time he had to make a tackle (I love statistics) Under this kind of pressure, even top defenders would get edgy; ours became terrified. So two of Slav's substitutions didn't work. But against Swansea (I think), his odd subs of Ayew & Masuaku won us the game. Gee, it's really hard to be fair when you blame someone, but I DO feel like dishing out the blame! Maybe blame the ball...
  • I've just seen the second goal. I'm usually one of Antonio's staunchest defenders, but wow, that was ridiculous. Double awful in my view, one not to take it into the corner, and two to play a pass so absolutely dreadful and lacklustre.

After that, to allow them to get the ball all the way to ten yards away from our own goal, was across the board pathetic.
  • edited October 2017
    While Antonio made a glaring mistake, one that you wouldn’t expect from an experienced professional, I really don’t know where people get this “lack of effort” or “ego” thing from? The last 2 seasons he’s been one of our standout players that has bust a gut week in week out.

Is he technically gifted? No.....is he a bit of a bull in a china shop? Yes.

The guy has pulled us out the mire in many games and scored some important goals.

I do have to chuckle as well, back in the SA days had he put on 2 defenders and had a player trying to run down the clock, to defend a slender lead, he’d probably of got boo’d, and the banner would’ve come out “big fat Sam, killing WHU” as talk of the West Ham way came trotting out.

If I’ve got to look at areas to complain or criticize on saturday (as well as Antonio’s error) it was the unfortunate subs, even allowing for the fact we couldn’t bring on an AC outlet (see what I did there?) how the heck did we get dominated so much by that Crystal Palace side.

Also Angelo Ogbonna is probably as much to blame, was he in the toilet when Bilic said “keep it tight first 15”

Joe Hart? Blameless on all counts and clearly man of the match

Stop shooting ourselves in the foot and we will be fine
  • I like Antonio. One of my favorite players.
  • edited October 2017
    Izzy, ;ok This 'lack of effort' and 'ego/sulk' idea seems to have come out of nowhere. But is gaining traction, it seems. Like you, I've not seen anything that makes me believe it has any foundation.

Edit: Oh, wait, I just remembered that it was an allegation last season that he sulked and didn't try hard enough because he was being asked to play at the back...

So he's got form.

;wink
  • Hamstew , He was my favorite Hammer until this year, don't think he is
    interested now, think he wants to leave. Playing like that, the sooner the
    better. Havn't seen him have a good game this season.
  • Not interested?

Think he wants to leave?

The sooner the better?

#NoWords
  • I don’t think Antonio is lazy or disinterested and he’s been our best attacking player since Payet left, and top scorer.

I think his cross the other day was lazy and stupid in equal measure.
  • Whenever he’s been asked to do a job he’s sulked and given goals away. IMO
  • Every single time a player has a bad game I see fans saying that player needs sacking or selling. Not just with West Ham but generally.
  • I don’t think Antonio is lazy or disinterested and he’s been our best attacking player since Payet left, and top scorer.

He was lazy and disinterested against Brighton (i know everyone else was too...)
    At times he lost the ball and just stood still.
    I've noticed an attitude change in him. I hope he gets back to the Antonio of old
  • I have to agree that since Antonio has joined West Ham he's worked very hard for us. Having said that, against Palace from the minute he came on he had a disgruntled look on his face and his body language was all wrong. I have no idea what's gone on behind the scenes but he looked disinterested and that was shown in his performance. He's not normally like that however on Saturday you could tell something was up. He was emotionless and clearly didn't care. I noticed he gave off a negative vibe against Brighton too. Although it was a "different" negative vibe - against Brighton he seemed frustrated and was showing how frustrated he was, while at Palace he looked glum and almost emotionless. Reading into this I'm making the assumption that he was originally frustrated and now past the point of frustration and genuinely fed up of the situation. However could be off with this assumption obviously (in fact it's fairly likely!)

He was lazy and disinterested against Brighton (i know everyone else was too...)
    I've noticed an attitude change in him. I hope he gets back to the Antonio of old
    IMO his levels dropped sharply after he spent a few minutes down on the touchline. I don’t know if he was carrying something or was worried about having another lay-off, but to me he seemed a different player after he took a knock.
  • How many more sulky players do we have to suffer? ;angry
    Is there a sulk epidemic at West Ham? If so, what's causing it? ;hmm
  • edited October 2017

, against Palace from the minute he came on he had a disgruntled look on his face... he looked disinterested...He was emotionless and clearly didn't care.... Reading into this I'm making the assumption that he was originally frustrated and now past the point of frustration and genuinely fed up of the situation. However could be off with this assumption obviously (in fact it's fairly likely!)

;hmm ;biggrin

So was he emotionless?

Or feeling the emotions of
    - glumness
    - disgruntlement

And if he IS fed up .. how do you know what he's fed up with? Maybe he's disgruntled at his aching ribs. Or his mistakes. Or he had a row with his missus. Or somebody keyed his car when it was parked outside the care-home when he was visiting his nan...
  • edited October 2017
    Tbh all I saw from Antonio was a foolish decision that cost us...
    I no way agree with lots of comments above re attitude etc etc, IMO way OTT ....
    While he freaked me out with his decision I wouldn't bash him any more than just that , a error that he surely also regrets ..
  • NEoldiron said:

Is there a sulk epidemic at West Ham?

No.

You're welcome.

He was injured after about 20 against Brighton and he’s just come back from injury
  • edited October 2017
    Had he gone to the corner and they still scored, we would all be on here saying what a poor decision. We would have all then said he should have gone for the goal with 2-3 of our players up supporting him, instead of going to the corner.
    It's easy to be an armchair critic.
    Yes, he gave away the ball cheaply but the rest of our team all sat back instead of closing them down, and invited them to run at us. There's plenty of blame to go round.
    If we're going to play the "if only" game .... I still think, and I said it at the time, Antonio should have been brought on to support Zabeleta (to curb Zaha) not to replace him. Fernandes did nothing to justify staying on the pitch. That way we wouldn't have been so exposed at the back. So for me, it was a poor tactical move by Bilic.
  • If he was that lazy he probably would have just stood in the corner shielding the ball rather than what he did do.
  • I don't understand why Antonio is suddenly public enemy number one?
  • Because some of our fans need one, apparently .....

#ModernGame
This discussion has been closed.