Palace (A) can we clip the Eagles wings or will we fade & die (Match Thread 28.10.17)

Comments

• Watching the match via a stream & had to go out just after the pen! Came back expecting the game to be finished but lucky me got back on just to see the farce that lead to their equaliser.
    Can someone tell where the 6 mins added on came from? Plus what set Nobel off at the end?
  • I remember the Liverpool cup final
    The last minute not names but
  • Grey, I blame Bilic for setting the team to simply defend for 45 mins. Their defence is woeful, we should have gone for the kill and put the game out of sight

He didn't though.....He had to swap two defenders, one at HT, then one in the second half, when he had to swap the third it was with one of our best attackers who had a complete and utter mad moment.

Also, what About Rice and Kouyate for their second, that is rank poor defending
  • Which of the current first team squad will hang around in the Championship, do you reckon? ;hmm

Adrian, possibly, if we can keep him this season. Noble and Ginge, obvs. Rice too I reckon, and Byram.

As for the rest, they'll probably leave. Which at the moment I'm ok with to be honest.

What is this?

• edited October 2017
    You can’t keep saying game after game after game that such and such happened because of individual mistakes, thereby absolving the manager of accountability (IMO).

Bilic does not have the answers to our endemic problems. Not his fault that he doesn’t have the answers because maybe he just isn’t capable. The sheer number of times we are conceding at least two goals in a game. It just isn’t sustainable - fun whilst someone like Payet is wreaking havoc at the other end, but just not tenable. When all sorts of different personnel and formations have been tried there is nothing left but to make a change at the top IMO

• Lukerz said:

Moments like that are the exact reason I’ve never taken to Antonio.

Self-interested liability.

Sorry mate, that is absolute rubbish.....

Just my opinion.
  • MrsGrey said
    "If we hadn't been scuppered by injuries, I would have liked AC on for Chicarito. Who was strolling around in an offside position when we had the ball down at their end in the last 20 mins or so"

To me, he doesn't look fit. Don't know if anyone else noticed, but whenever there was a close-up of him, he seemed to be struggling to get his breath. ;hmm
  • We were largely poor last season - in the midst of that, Antonio’s goals/assists probably kept us in the prem when all is said and done
  • But they are individual mistakes.....

If you look at most of our goals conceded there was an individual mistake, of some kind, almost glaring.....

We've been letting in late late goals since SA reign (and probably before)

I remember the groans and moans when he'd throw on a couple of defenders to see the game out, now we're forced with our injuries etc and SB doesn't have much of a choice and they still hang the manager out to dry.

It's a mental thing, is it SB responsibility, possibly but he's not a bloomin therapist!
  • Which of the current first team squad will hang around in the Championship, do you reckon? ;hmm

Adrian, possibly, if we can keep him this season. Noble and Ginge, obvs. Rice too I reckon, and Byram.

As for the rest, they'll probably leave. Which at the moment I'm ok with to be honest.

What is this?

A rhetorical question based on how I feel tonight.

Thanks for asking ;ok
  • At least we won't finish this weekend in the relegation zone as Chelsea just beat Bournemouth.
  • Okay pal, well if you're that far into Relegation and what the squad could look like, then your choice......

If we had 8 games to go, not 28 I'd possibly see where you were coming from

;ok
  • Anyone know where we stand in the league regards the following:
    Conceding penalties
    Conceding last minute goals
    Drawing/losing from a winning position
    ;hmm
  • We were largely poor last season - in the midst of that, Antonio’s goals/assists probably kept us in the prem when all is said and done

Right, so you can't just rule out his goals and assists, they happened and he's one of our players, whoever gets them they happened, and Andy's goals.

It's like people saying Wednesday was down to Noble, not Slav, then first 20 minutes of today it was down to Noble that we were struggling....

No, it's really not down to one person or one factor. It's nearly always a combination of events good and bad.

IMO
  • SCHB @ 7.17

It's better to be prepared. ;wink
  • I actually do think Wednesday was Noble inspired and have said so.
  • edited October 2017

He didn't though.....He had to swap two defenders, one at HT, then one in the second half, when he had to swap the third it was with one of our best attackers who had a complete and utter mad moment.

I disagree. Correct me if I'm wrong but Zabeleta wasn't injured. It was a tactical choice to change Zabaleta with Antonio. It wasn't a forced change but Bilic's own decision. He could have taken off Fernandes who was ineffective.
  • We got played off the park in that second half by a team that are bottom and have Roy Hodgson in charge.
  • My feeling during the game was that Zab was replaced because he was not far from a second yellow..

I would like to know if Cress was injured because if it was tactical certainly didn’t work as Masulka was pretty poor.
  • Everything about us at present is poor and the Spurs match may have served us badly by allowing the inevitable to be postponed.

Players are making stupid errors, not even footballing errors but judgment errors that lads in my boys team would not make. I have not seen his team give away a penalty as needlessly as ogbonna or been as casual and absent mindedness as Antonio, or as ill disciplined as Carroll was two weeks ago.

As for Slav his tactics are terrible as to try and soak up pressure for 45 minutes clearly had such a risk factor, he sits with Arto on the bench, 28m of his funds from the summer as he cant actually even play him yet he has no quality defensive midfielder, he luckily has Carroll fit otherwise he has only Chico from his summer business as an attacker, yet he has Arto on the bench who appears surplus to requirements. He has had four transfer windows and even accepting most of last seasons have been returned he has no credible system for which he bought them, is over supplied in some positions and weak in others.

We have let points slip against Soton, Burnley, Spurs and Palace in my view through a mixture of Slavs team selection and tactics and poor player discipline or stupidity (choose as you wish). I love Slav but time to see what a new man can do with what is without doubt a decent bunch of individuals who need forming into a team and drilled in how to play with discipline and perform the basic tasks of their position.
  • At first, I thought it wasn't necessarily Bilic's fault the players decided to not attack for a whole half. But then, if he hasn't been able to communicate anything else to them in all that time - that's a problem. And when someone was down, Hart I think, he did have a talk with them and we were even more negative afterwards.

I don't think Palace had us under any pressure, we just chose not to offer anything more to the game and got the most inevitable result.
  • A big problems is the lack of creativity in midfield - slow and plodding and even if forwards make runs, players fail to find them. We don't seem to have any dribblers/wingers in the team and that does not help. I think Zabalera struggles against pacey forwards, understandably so given his age, and that is why he was substituted. I think we missed Reid in defence today. I don't know why Antonio has been way below last season's level. Masuaku was a poor defender and gave away needless fouls. all of bis added to the pressure and gave Palace some hope.

Next week, will be a big test against Liverpool and if the WHU of second-half at Tottenham turn up we can we can take the points.
  • If zabaleta suffers against pacey forwards, why was Byram not even in the match day squad - injured? ;hmm
  • if Bilic doesn't go we are doomed. the squad is, on paper good enough for mid table. there is something fundamentally wrong with team selection,tactics, substitutions and fitness all of which lies with the manager. Carol should have come on today not just for hold up play and to change the game but we needed him defensively for set plays as well. I am beginning to think this is worse than under some of our other poor managers. something has got to change
  • I think Cress was injured. He came out of contact in the first half and hopped a couple of steps before continuing to run it off.
    Much over reaction on here imo. We scored 2 good goals against a pretty poor Palace side and 'IF' we had held on a lot of what has been written wouldn't have been. 2 heinous errors cost us dear with only Hart coming out head held high.

How many of our players would get into other Prem teams? Well most imo.
    How many of our players will be here when we are in the Championship? Really?

It was a better performance than against Brighton but basically nothing much has changed. Billic selected the wrong team imo. Rice should have started at CB instead of Kouyate who should have been in MF for Fernandes and Obiang in for Noble.
    But even then we still have no game plan and an inability to string 3 passes together. We almost opened them up 5 or 6 times but for a misplaced or mishit 5m pass.

So it's still Bilic out for me.
  • IronHerb,

IF we had won it would just have papered over the cracks until the next time IMHO. I don't believe many would have been convinced.
  • Swansea at home papered over cracks and shortly after came the Brighton display
  • I've lost count of the number of stupid penalties we have conceded in the last couple of seasons. Mindless ill-discipline.
  • Yep have to agree, couple have been unlucky but so many were avoidable.....

The number of individual mistakes, plus penalties plus glaring ref errors (rescinded reds etc) is staggering
  • Well that’s not good...

7BABE5A3-571D-467B-8500-A4207448C96A
This discussion has been closed.