Summer 2017 Transfer: The final countdown and the fallout

Comments

• When does the window for loans close, thought there was like 2 weeks after the official transfer window closes that you can still do loan deals or has registration all be done now so no loans can happen.
  • It's not for PL clubs, I thought?
  • edited September 2017
    Scrap that. I've just read that it was abolished last year, for all leagues. (Emergency GK loans excepted.)

Edit - here's an explainer. http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10509644/emergency-loan-window-system-changes-explained
  • Leicester miss out on a deadline to register a player by 14 seconds. Now guess where the player came from!

Sporting Lisbon. Seems like kind of a ploy to keep players at the club. Accept bids so late that the new club either pull out of the deal or they have to work overtime and lightning speed to get him registered.

Makes Sully's claims a lot more credible.

Http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/41118927
  • edited September 2017
    Bue Leicester have to keep and pay him though he cant play for them until January.

Subject to appeal.
  • IH - that's the unfair part. I couldn't care less about Leicester but if SL left accepting a deal so late then they should be the ones paying. It doesn't seem that dissimilar to the Carvallho saga
  • It looks like SL fulfilled their part but Leicester were slow to complete.

I agree it shows that it would have been a tricky deal to complete in time.
  • And note that he unlike Carvalho had already flown to England prior to the deadline, to discuss personal terms and (presumably) have a medical...
  • It simply looks like Sully might be telling the truth about SL's transfer business, regardless of the stick everyone us using to beat him with.
  • how do you know though ? do you know when Leicester put the bid in for Silva. Maybe Leicester put the bid in really late ?
  • edited September 2017
    Well, it couldn't have been that late because they got permission from the club to talk to him, and he got permission from Portugal to leave the training camp and fly to England for talks with Leicester. And he was in England in advance of the 11pm deadline, if what's reported in the papers is accurate. (Depends what you mean by 'really late' I suppose.)
  • As the article says Adrien Silva is now a Leicester player who can't play until January, he can't play for Sporting.

Sporting sold Rúben Semedo to Villarrreal in June, Paulo Oliveira to SD Eibar in July and Felipe Chaby to Beleneses in July.

It simply looks like you're trying to find excuses to back DS
  • It's just a feeling. I know, Leicester could have left it late. It just looks awkward to have similar situations for two players from the same parent club and it kind of leaves a bad taste in your mouth. If I remember correctly we also had personal terms agreed with Carvalho. How late is too late nowadays? I have no idea about flight times but if SL accept sometime mid afternoon it might be too late already as he wouldn't be able to get to London in time.
    There could be a perfectly harmless explanation for all of this. Then again there could be a perfectly harmless explanation for the Sakho saga.
  • edited September 2017
    Aslef, is that addressed to me? I'm not looking for excuses for anything.

I'm not 'backing' him. I've no idea if he, or the SL president, are telling the truth about if and when various bids were made/accepted. I'm also not automatically assuming he's lying.

My recent comment reiterate the point I made before: it is quite plausible that (if SL did leave it to the last minute to agree the deal) it could have been too late to get the transfer sorted (with proper medical results).

SL did some deals early. They did at least one deal late. The facts are not mutually exclusive, nor do they rule out the possibility that the Carvalho thing was also done (agreed) late. What's your point?
  • Mrs G - it was addressed to Munich who had earlier written "it simply looks.....".

Munich - how is it similar? Carvalho is still registered with Sporting, Silva is now registered with Leicester.

• Sporting sold Rúben Semedo to Villarrreal in June, Paulo Oliveira to SD Eibar in July and Felipe Chaby to Beleneses in July.

It simply looks like you're trying to find excuses to back DS

ASLEF

You can't compare those transfers to Silva and Carvalho.

Chaby played for the Sporting B team, Oliveira started 10 games and while Semedo started 24 times, he wasn't as integral to Sporting as Silva and Carvalho are/were.
  • Fair enough but the fact remains that Silva has transferred to Leicester. Apparently the deal was dependent on Drinkwater going to Chelsea which is why they late getting the registration done
  • Interesting article about what a player is realistically worth compared with their transfer fee this summer.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41158426
  • Fair enough but the fact remains that Silva has transferred to Leicester. Apparently the deal was dependent on Drinkwater going to Chelsea which is why they late getting the registration done

If that is the case then fair enough. I just don't get a lot of the criticism directed at the Daves at the moment. The wouldn't let themselves be bullied into paying more than they thought the player was worth. Had they coughed up the 40m euros a lot of people would have said what a great signing he is, if he then doesn't hit the ground running they are then criticised for wasting 40m euros on a player.
  • Well I think at the end of the day, they let go of a D/M, Nordveit, (albeit not a great one) early in the window and ultimately didn't replace him.

When it's clear to many that one of the areas of major weakness in our side is the ability (lack of) of our midfield to protect our defence, that doesn't come across as a particularly wise outcome overall. So there needs to be an element of culpability in there somewhere for that situation arising
  • Baracks

Personally I don't think we actually needed a DM. Obviously, I would have liked Carvalho but Obiang is a DM, who breaks up play.

The bottom 10 teams in the PL don't have a better DM than Obiang, imo.

So, the reason why we're conceding so many is not simply because we don't have a top, top quality DM. It's multiple reasons.
  • The thing with the silva deal is that transfers can happen any time. The issue is that squad registration can't happen after the cut off. It's not unfair that Leicester signed a player after the registration deadline and then can't play him. All clubs know the rules
  • So at what point in the transfer window did the following conversation take place if indeed it did at all:

Sully: so Slav, we've got rid of Nordveit, what are your thoughts, do we need a replacement

slav: yes we do

Sully: who would you want ideally

Slav: Carvalho would be my choice

Sully: and if we didn't manage to get him, what would be your back up choices....??

....because it seems to me Carvalho was the manager's choice and the "back-ups" may have been the choice of the owners. Did slav have any back up choices and did the daves ever pursue them? I guess we'll never know..
  • I'd go as far as say that the two names which were mentioned by Sully on the Friday as being offered to the manager were talked about "generally" at some point.

I don't actually think we had them nailed down and Slaven said "no don't bother", it's not a flat out lie but it's a bit of spin at best

But that's just my opinion
  • Surely this is a wind up
  • If it isn't then let's hope he's got the read receipt
  • edited September 2017
    If it isn't we're in more trouble than I thought ;lol
  • Surely that's straight off young Jack's manager mode on Fifa 18?
  • Hope that's not true

I mean...... that's pathetic.... right