Summer 2017 Transfer: The final countdown and the fallout

Comments

• On paper, yes

Problem is games not played on paper and I also think we're a bit light in certain areas
  • Charles Joseph John Hart?
  • edited September 2017
    This is supposedly legit, on the website.....

Are they for real? And yes it's probably a 3rd party but surely we vet this stuff?

Our PR is a shambles

IMG_3117
  • edited September 2017
    We've just underbid by 15m on a massive possible signing, spent only 14m net one of the lowest in the PL during the summer, some fans are in uproar and you're asking what's wrong with it?

;biggrin
  • Yes, and I'm still asking. What's wrong with it?
  • Okay, not getting involved in silly games

;ok
  • It's not silly games, it's a genuine question, but okay ;ok
  • When a lot of fans think, rightly or wrongly, that the club has been stingy, it's not good PR to brag about savings.
  • When a lot of fans think, rightly or wrongly, that the club has been stingy, it's not good PR to brag about savings.

And what about the fans who don't think that? Or do the constantly-outraged think they speak for us all?
  • On another note I wouldn't be bragging about saving money on the Arne transfer. He's hardly covered himself in glory thus far
  • edited September 2017
    IronHerb said:

This better be the season where we don't have our usual injury mess, otherwise we could be in for right fun and games

But it's a better squad than we started with last season isn't it?
    Not sure how we have a better squad after culling most of it. Better first 11 but the players behind that first 11 Nope and considering the last time we managed to field our best Full 11....then Nope definitely not a better squad.

And what about the fans who don't think that? Or do the constantly-outraged think they speak for us all?
    Who said anyone spoke for anyone?

It would appear OCS does at least partly agree, that's fine, no biggie either way.

I presented what I'd seen and MY OPINION, I personally wasn't speaking for anyone or trying to speak for anyone.

Constantly outraged? Who is that at?

It's a forum, people bring things to the table, right, wrong, funny, sad........
  • So Yeold,
    You would prefer to have Calleri, Zaza, Nordtveit, Tore, Feghouli, Snodgrass, Arbeloa and Fletcher back in the squad? Most of whom you criticised as being no good.
  • No I would have preferred to see players brought in to replace the ones we left. Something we didn't achieve because for some strange reason our finances are still a mess despite the increased revenue ETC

What about them? Do they feel personally connected to this advert and feel it must stay?

I think it is objectively bad PR because it doesn't really appeal to anyone but further enrages some. If there's little to not benefit but an obvious disadvantage to the a piece of advertising, isn't that bad PR? (Even from the advertising company's side, who are they appealing to with that?)
  • Ironherb

You have really hit the nail on the head. Trying to make a point to Yeold.
    Who exactly was responsible for vetting and signing all those players?
    I have no idea what goes on behind the scenes but our transfer policy on the whole is a complete joke.
    We bought a couple of decent players and let loads go but we did not get enough quality or numbers in , in the positions required to push for anything other than mid table.
    We also once again failed to get in a big name or 2 that could really make a difference.
    I believe that our board want to take the club forwards but to me they need serious help as they don't seem to know what they are doing in my view.
  • Just in case anyone needs it, the Samaritans phone number is 116 123

What about them? Do they feel personally connected to this advert and feel it must stay?

I think it is objectively bad PR because it doesn't really appeal to anyone but further enrages some. If there's little to not benefit but an obvious disadvantage to the a piece of advertising, isn't that bad PR? (Even from the advertising company's side, who are they appealing to with that?)
    I have no doubt there are fans out there (myself included) who are objectively happy that the club was not held to ransom with transfer fees to appease the outraged Tweeters, and instead are proud of the fact the club paid sensible money for good signings. So yes, I think it's a pleasing piece of PR, and I think suggesting the club should keep quiet in order to satisfy those most vocal and frustrated is incorrect.

Who said anyone spoke for anyone?

It would appear OCS does at least partly agree, that's fine, no biggie either way.

I presented what I'd seen and MY OPINION, I personally wasn't speaking for anyone or trying to speak for anyone.

Constantly outraged? Who is that at?

It's a forum, people bring things to the table, right, wrong, funny, sad........
    This was in response to Outcast's comment, not yours, so confused why you feel the need to defend YOUR opinion.

• See the way I see it, their previous posting in the subject of transfers has caused a bitter dispute with another club and probably cheesed off the manager. So looking at the latest post I'm struggling to understand what the point or meaning of the post is? It can be interpreted in a few ways so it would probably have been best just to leave the whole topic of transfers lie for a while.
  • It's an advert by a separate company, though.
  • Good idea, the window is now closed and there is no changing what's happened.
  • edited September 2017
    That's what I think Barracks. I have no problem with the prices we paid or refused to pay.
    MrsGrey said:

It's an advert by a separate company, though.

But it appears to be the landing page and it's been purpose-designed. The club surely have a say over adverts that appear in that manner, so I think it's a bad decision because it's more likely to give more ammo to The Irritated than anything.
  • Jorderz @ 6.05

I reckon its the fans who are being held to ransom due to their loyalty to the club to just accept the carnage at the end of the window. IMHO we didn't pay sensible money for Arnie and based on what has occurred since the funds could have been spent more wisely in strengthening in other areas like on a World class cdm. ;ok
  • I don't think it's been carnage neither have I been held to ransom.
  • Jorderz @ 6.05

I reckon its the fans who are being held to ransom due to their loyalty to the club to just accept the carnage at the end of the window. IMHO we didn't pay sensible money for Arnie and based on what has occurred since the funds could have been spent more wisely in strengthening in other areas like on a World class cdm. ;ok

We also got one of the best deals of the window in Hernandez. When the rest of the league paid ridiculous amounts, we got a proven PL striker (one of the best in recent years imo) for a very good price.
  • To clarify I made reference to the shenanigans at the the end of the window. I was delighted we signed Hernandez it is such a great pity we didn't back that up with a couple more signings of a similar class. Suppose I will questioned about the facts but I would like to think they are plain to see? ;ok
  • MrsGrey said:

It's an advert by a separate company, though.

As I said originally, 3rd part but surely the club vets what goes on there?