Summer 2017 Transfer: The final countdown and the fallout

Comments

• So they reckon they bid 23m via email and an agent, think we were a bit low?
  • If sully was going to pay the release clause he would have already done so, so it's a moot point

I am thinking about a situation where by January the dire need for Carvalho has become so clear that the owners decide to meet the release price.
  • You think Sully will climb down and pay pay extra monies in the process? I don't. He's not even prepared to pay off managers he no longer wants!
  • Maybe SL will settle out of court and just give us Carvalho in January Better still they terminate his contract and we pick him up now.
  • You think Sully will climb down and pay pay extra monies in the process? I don't. He's not even prepared to pay off managers he no longer wants!

And then people moan that contracts aren't honoured. Cant have it both ways.
  • So they reckon they bid 23m via email and an agent, think we were a bit low?

Went to Junk Mail?

I'd certainly hope he would if we're bottom come the Jan window... But sadly I think we can kiss goodbye to Carvalho. Real pity and will be interesting to know what really went on and why.
  • IronHerb said:

You think Sully will climb down and pay pay extra monies in the process? I don't. He's not even prepared to pay off managers he no longer wants!

And then people moan that contracts aren't honoured. Cant have it both ways.
    No idea what point is being made. The signs are clearly there, as with Sam, that the board may not want to continue longer term with him. So they would rather let it meander, stunting any progress the club might make. There is a distinction between players and managers.
  • I would like to believe that we were really trying for Carvalho but it's hard to believe in this day and age we would have let things go down to the last seconds if we really were going to pay big money.
    There is always noise but we never spend the money that will take us forwards.
    I really thought in this window we were going to change for the better but we will do really well to avoid relegation with such a small injury plagued squad.
  • I personally think that had we won, drawn or even had a small defeat but played well v Newcastle, then Carvalho would be our player today.
  • I think Sporting Lisbon held out as long as they could to get as much money as possible and it blew up in their face as they did n't realise who they were dealing with. ;lol
  • Only West Ham can end up in court over someone they DIDN'T buy.
  • So what do we know.....

SL were supposedly after around £38m for their player Carvalho

Sully says original WHUFC bid was £23m over 3 years with add ons to be discussed

Sully says offer was sent by email to SL and to agent (let's hope he had the delivery or read receipt ticked)

Club source (I know, I know) linked to a certain site says that they're hoping SL come back late in the window, our only hope of getting player.

Sully says that SL came back and ACCEPTED our original offer (see above) late on deadline day and no chance to get medical done.

First off why would SL accept £23m over 3 years, even if the add ons had been discussed?

Secondly I think something has been lost in translation here. I believe SL director is accusing Sully of the fact that they didn't come back late in the day and accept original (or any) offer and that's where they're calling him out.

Also I read somewhere that SL said they didn't get any "concrete bids" therefore they have dismissed anything we did bid, because it was too low ie not serious bids, they're essentially not counting it as a "bid"

All, just my opinion

• A story today that they were trying to flog him to Monaco for more money and when they did n't get an offer from them tried to accept our offer on deadline day. I feel sorry for the player in all of this
  • edited September 2017
    Utterly ridiculous . I hate to say it but Mr levy makes our board look like complete and utter amateurs.
    It is funny though that the club seems to make all the right noises about spending big and taking us forwards but the moves never seem to materialise for one reason or another.
    20 -25 doesn't buy game changers lots of clubs spend that and that seems all we are willing to spend and then only if we have sold loads of players.
  • One thing that isn't on is the son of the owner detailing our possible legal actions all over twitter.

Of course that is probably Sully either telling or agreeing to his boy doing that, which makes it even worse

I'm not sure our owners have been this unpopular in their almost 8 year reign
  • Wait till we are 3-0 down at home to Huddersfield and see how unpopular they are!!
  • edited September 2017
    That's the spirit ;thumbsup

#saynotopositivethinking

;biggrin
  • Mrs grey .

It was a joke. It will probably be 4-0!!
  • Utterly ridiculous . I hate to say it but Mr levy makes our board look like complete and utter amateurs.
    It is funny though that the club seems to make all the right noises about spending big and taking us forwards but the moves never seem to materialise for one reason or another.
    20 -25 doesn't buy game changers lots of clubs spend that and that seems all we are willing to spend and then only if we have sold loads of players.

Hutton, I seem to remember the Brummy fans warning us of exactly that when the Daves took over at WHU.
  • someone told me we have only 21 senior players (including the two players who like to keep the treatment table warm) and 3 of these are kids...
  • Can we close this thread its done and dusted now. The transfer windows are all closed.
  • From the EPL website: -

25 Squad players (*=Home grown)
    Antonio, Michail Gregory*
    Arnautovic, Marko
    Ayew, Andre Morgan Rami
    Byram, Samuel Mark*
    Carroll, Andrew Thomas*
    Collins, James Michael*
    Cresswell, Aaron*
    Fonte, Jose Miguel
    Hart, Charles Joseph John*
    Henry, Doneil Jor-Dee Ashley
    Hernandez Balcazar, Javier
    Kouyate, Cheikhou
    Lanzini, Manuel
    Makasi, Kusu Moses*
    Masuaku Kawela, Fuka-Arthur
    Noble, Mark James*
    Obiang Avomo, Pedro Mba
    Ogbonna, Obinze Angelo
    Reid, Winston Wiremu
    Sakho, Diafra
    San Miguel Del Castillo, Adrian
    Zabaleta Girod, Pablo Javier

Under-21 players (Contract and Scholars)
    Adarkwa, Sean Jordan
    Akinola, Olatunji Oluwasehun
    Alese, Ajibola
    Barrett, Mason
    Belic, Kristijan
    Browne, Marcus Alexander
    Burke, Reece
    Costa Da Rosa, Bernardo
    Coventry, Conor
    Cullen, Joshua Jon
    Dalipi, Kevin
    Diangana, Grady
    El Mhassani, Anouar
    Fernandes Ribeiro, Edimilson
    Haksabanovic, Sead
    Hamilton, Malyk
    Hannam, Reece Phillip Peter
    Hector-Ingram, Jahmal Justin
    Henry, Korrey
    Holland, Nathan Elliot
    Johnson, Benjamin
    Kemp, Daniel
    Lewis, Alfie
    Longelo Mbule, Emmanuel
    Longelo-Mbule, Rosaire
    Martinez Lopez, Antonio
    Matrevics, Rihards
    Miller, Ethan
    Mingi, Jade Jay
    Neufville, Vashon
    Ngakia, Jeremy
    Oxford, Reece Joel
    Pask, Joshua David
    Pike, Alexander George
    Powell, Joe
    Quina, Domingos
    Rice, Declan
    Samuelsen, Martin
    Scully, Anthony Richard
    Spyridis, Odysseas
    Sylvestre, Noha
    Trott, Nathan Wallace Newman
    Watson, Louie Shaun
    Wells, Ben

https://www.premierleague.com/news/465277#!
  • squad is so bare we are including 2 players in the Over 25 who probably will not make the bench on a match day squad ever.
  • This better be the season where we don't have our usual injury mess, otherwise we could be in for right fun and games
  • Doneil Henry still plays for us?
  • Did he ever?
  • Henry was on loan last season and picked up an ACL else he'd be gone I feel.
  • This better be the season where we don't have our usual injury mess, otherwise we could be in for right fun and games

But it's a better squad than we started with last season isn't it?