Summer 2017 Transfer: The final countdown and the fallout

Comments

• edited September 2017
    Thank you, Baracks. In terms of Sanches in particular, I think people's view of him has been shaped by FIFA (where he's a beast). There's a reason why he's gone to Swansea and not to a better club.

In terms of central midfielders, I think we are fine for numbers, i.e. Obiang, Kouyate, Noble, Rice. Obviously, we were targeting Carvalho because he would have improved our first team, whereas Sanches wouldn't have.

Attacking midfielders, on the other hand, we are short.
  • Bit naughty I know but you have to ;lol

West Ham owners - "Sporting are too hard to deal with"

Is that a direct quote, Izzy? Which one of them said it?
  • Been off line for a week, you lucky people. ;biggrin

My view for what it's worth. Slaven should have taken the offer of recruitments when it was made. Mr Sullivan has hung him out to dry, funny not, that Carvalho wasn't fit to sign but played for Portugal and how come Silva joined Leicester hours after the window closed but we couldn't process our deal? The window closing with no new players arriving at the end of it when we are crying out for some after the number who have left is frankly pathetic. The Blues fans were right about the owners based on what we have seen over the past few windows.

Slav appears to be a dead man walking, prepare for the Rafa revolution anyone?
  • Fortune

Adrien Silva left the Portugal squad to have his medical before the deadline. That transfer is just awaiting international clearance.
  • Why do I keep reading that medicals can be done after window is shut and that deals can be done subject to them? I don't believe this to be the case because if it were, why would you see players hurtling all over the country on deadline days in order to get their medicals done prior to the cut off time?
  • edited September 2017
    You keep reading that medicals can be done after the wndow is shut because they can.

You keep reading that deals can be done 'subject to' a medical (implying that the deal can be cancelled AFTER the window has shut if the the player fails the medical) because people don't know what they are talking about, or are confusing two different situations. ;biggrin
  • At the end of the day it is about management and we haven't been caught out, we had a great deal of time through the summer to shape a team to make progress from the position we stood at the end of last season. Slav is the team manager and the Dave's the club managers, they have taken their decisions and I think we can rightly judge them with regard the window over the next couple of months.

Last year they clearly got it wrong which gave us hope they would change direction and they have as they have bought quality and relevant experience over quantity and speculation, did they acquire enough quality to cover injuries ? to compete with the clubs we will be hoping to take points from? I am not sure but I am also happy the spaces can provide opportunity for the youngsters, as despite Rice's gaff the other day I think he is a brilliant prospect and I would like to see him continue to be on the verges of the first team and getting pitch time.

It starts again at Huddersfield and we need get three points with a confident display, and then Slav and Sully may begin to provide us with a bit more confidence in them, I think many are not convinced by them at present and I can completely see why, but lets hope they know what they are doing and can show it. I love Billics style but am not sure he is as astute and adaptable as top managers need be, Sully reminds me of a barrow boy businessman in his manner, always learning on his feet about how to make the transition from barrow to boardroom in his head, but they have both done ok and it's clear their appearance in our clubs history is not yet over so lets hope they both leave it eventually having served it well, there is still time.

• Starting to get nasty now. Sporting claiming there was never a bid for Carvalho and challenging Sully to prove he made one and prove it was rejected.
    I doubt he will do anything but it would be good if he could because otherwise he won't be trusted at all by anyone especially the fans.
  • edited September 2017
    “At West Ham, we insist on a financial penalty if our players do not get plenty of first-team time.”
    Quote from K Brady
  • "Otherwise he won't be trusted"

From what I'm seeing he isn't but so many, right now
  • edited September 2017
    Background info on medicals. If anyone is interested in finding out more.

http://www.physioroom.com/news/featured_stories/medicals.php What's involved.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-30269991
    "My ideal medical would probably last about four hours."
    ... medicals would ideally be held over a 24-48 hour period to allow for a full range of screenings, scans and physiological testing

http://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/zx4sp39 Short video report of Phil Neville 'having a medical'.
  • MrsGrey said:

Bit naughty I know but you have to ;lol

West Ham owners - "Sporting are too hard to deal with"

Is that a direct quote, Izzy? Which one of them said it?
    Mrs G, just took a look around, that wasn't my "joke" by the way, I just nicked it ;whistle but it would appear that the clubs main mouthpiece C&H reported how difficult SL were to deal with, having turned down various bids from MCFC, EFC and WBA

Of course everyone knows that sites info comes from sully himself, about once a week because Sully allegedly told him to stop pestering him ;lol
  • edited September 2017
    Izzy ;ok

I subsequently realised you'd got it somewhere else, as that 'somewhere else' was the only place it showed up when I searched for the source of the quote.

So, it was a made-up quote.

• Well this all just got a little bit more interesting on Twitter
  • To Bruno de Carvalho the president of sporting Lisbon. To say we never made an offer is nonsense and serious libel. From Dave jnr for those not on twitter
  • West Ham are commencing legal proceedings against the communications director of sporting Lisbon as a written offer for the player was made
  • ;hmm

Against the communications director?

Still, if true, interesting to see they are certain that hey have a case.
  • Doesn't bode well for signing Carvalho in January though!
  • edited September 2017

Doesn't bode well for signing Carvalho in January though!

That's what I thought. I think us doing any future deals with sporting are dead.
  • edited September 2017
    Moore-than

After what the SL owner said about Sullivan, I suspect that was unlikely anyway. That relationship had irretrievably broken down, methinks.
  • What concerns me more is had it all gone through we may actually have ended up signing the Sporting chairman by mistake.
  • Didn't you want Sully out then? ;lol
  • edited September 2017
    Again all Sully had to do was say nothing on the matter. If you allow relations with another club sour needlessly it will only come back to bite in terms of future potential transfers. We are already in that boat with Spurs, and now Sporting Lisbon.

All he has succeeded in doing is cheese off SL, cheese off his own manager, and generally made our club a bit of a laughing stock.

Very well done, Sully, I hope you are proud of your actions.

;doh
  • MrsGrey said:

Moore-than

After what the SL owner said about Sullivan, I suspect that was unlikely anyway. That relationship had irretrievably broken down, methinks.

Yes, you're probably right. But maybe you don't need a relationship to pay up the release clause - can they refuse to sell if you do this and the player wants to leave?
  • If sully was going to pay the release clause he would have already done so, so it's a moot point
  • edited September 2017

Again all Sully had to do was say nothing on the matter. If you allow relations with another club sour needlessly it will only come back to bite in terms of future potential transfers.

No. Don't agree at all, baracks. (On this occasion, anyway - often I think he'd do better to keep it zipped but on this issue I think it is right not to let it go.)

If he'd said nothing, the fans who have called him a liar on the back of the SL guy's comments would persist in calling him a liar. In no possible alternative reality would those people say 'oh, ok, he's telling the truth but is keeping schtum because he just doesn't want to sour relations with the SL guy'. So you have part of the fan base calling him a liar in perpetuity.

Second, he's got to continue to deal in the transfer market with other owners/clubs... how can he go about his business with an unchallenged label of 'liar' attached to him? That would be no good for West Ham.

I think it's saying nothing that would come back to bite in terms of future potential transfers.

(Unless everybody knows that, as rumoured, the SL guy is loony tunes.... )

• Maybe the DM is the SL president's son and just didn't want him to leave home.
  • How about Sully just says nothing to start with?