Summer 2017 Transfer Speculation (continued)

Comments

• ;hmm Tuesday what happened to Monday ;puzzled
  • Long flight for a little pea
  • Medical centre was fully booked. ;)
  • Everyone is flying to Germany Monday so there will be no one at home to meet him
  • ;doh not even the tea lady Herb poor boy should at lest get a cuppa
  • Apparently flying in tomorrow to get a visa
    Then out again on Tuesday according to Jinxed on KUMB
  • Nervous. If its such a bargain why would no one else offer a million more?
  • IronHerb said:

Everyone is flying to Germany Monday so there will be no one at home to meet him

;whistle
  • edited July 2017
    We are still short in CM, without a doubt.

An injury to one of the main three CM's and it's Fernandes (more an attacking CM from what I've seen) or Cullen. Not that I'm against either playing, but if that was for a prolonged period (say months rather than weeks), you're going to be putting huge pressure on those guys at their ages to produce at PL level.

I think one of Snodgrass/Feghouli will go (actually think both could go), leaving us with Ayew, Antonio and Arnautovic as wide options. That's almost £50m worth of spending there. We may look for a loan should both Snodgrass and Feghouli leave. Rumours gathering pace that Adrian is off to Palace too, so we will need a GK.

But, as it stands, a second XI of:

Adrian
    Byram - Collins - Fonte - Masuaku
    Kouyate - Cullen
    Feghouli - Fernandes - Ayew
    Carroll

Is not a bad XI, but there are ?'s over several of those players. We know that Adrian, Kouyate and Carroll can do the business, but the latter is unreliable. Ayew should be able to but was very 50-50 in season one. Collins and Fonte have a combined age of almost 70 and the full-backs are both young. Cullen and Fernandes likewise. Feghouli has not pulled up trees. So again you've got a very strong first XI selection of players, but the back-up options are not proven reinforcements.

Looking at what remains, I'd say we could lose:

Adrian - £8m
    Collins - £3m
    Snodgrass - £8m
    Feghouli - £5m

Another £25m ish potentially there.

Before the window closes. But we should be looking at another CM and ST after we've signed Hernandez. And then potentially one more wide player if we part with both our reserve RW options.
  • 1/2 favourites to sign Jota from Brentford
  • I'd say that 2nd eleven would be good enough to survive, therefore very much looking forward to the season!
  • Collins doesn't want to go anywhere
  • I think it's been made pretty clear that we are going for quality over quantity, so I'd be surprised if we did much more business after Hernandez. Maybe one CM.

I don't think we'll be signing another 3 and selling 3-4, which would then become another quite big upheaval.
  • But after Hernandez we still need another striker, IMO. I think Arnautovic is the 'tricky winger' that was spoken of a number of weeks ago so I would still expect to see another striker through the door, but I suspect we'll wait until the end of August for that.

Get a feeling we'll go after Wilshere, too, although I'm not sure how I feel about that ;hmm
  • Pretty certain Wilshere will end up here.
  • Wilshere would be good depending on cost. It gives us another premier league proven option in CM if we have injuries or loss of form. I said before that I don't feel we have any real competition for Lanzini or Kouyate but Wilshere is as good as them, albeit slightly different style to both so would be a good addition.

I too still think we need another striker (assuming we get Chicarito). But I would wait until mid-August and see who's available.
  • Can't see why anyone would pay £20m for Wilshere (rumoured asking price) when he only has a year left on his contract.

• Wilshere is just money down the drain.
  • We have got enough old crocks already.
  • I’d be surprised if we – or indeed anyone – went anywhere near £20m for him. It’s not a priority position for us so we can afford to go in low and if it’s not accepted then it’s no huge loss. I suspect it’s more likely that we’ll try to engineer a loan deal later in the window when it becomes obvious that no-one will pay £20m for him.
  • He was shocking at Bournemouth last season, as well. Not sure why anybody wants him even when fit.

When he's not surrounded by Arsenal's passing players and the runs of Sanchez and Welbeck, it becomes abundantly clear how average he is.
  • Bit likes Nobes with no Payet ;run

imo of course
  • Can't see why anyone would pay £20m for Wilshere (rumoured asking price) when he only has a year left on his contract.

Well yeah, if it's £20m then no, not interested. I would say, considering he'll have high-ish wages and the injury record, he's worth £8m-£12m.

No one is signing him for that sort of money.
    10m is the figure I've seen. Worth a punt at that price
  • £20m is what I've seen pretty much everywhere:
    West Ham have emerged as potential suitors for the England international who, according to the Daily Star, the Gunners want £20m for Wilshere and a buy-back option in his contract.
    http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/10954863/arsenal-transfer-news-and-rumours-leon-goretzka-mohamed-elneny-jack-wilshere
  • No to Wilshire full stop, just another sick note.
  • Telegraph and practically all others reporting Arsenal are looking for £20m. They've turned down £7.5m already.

Personally, anything other than a loan (so we can send him back when he's crocked again) I think would be a mistake.

Anyway - how would he pass a medical: he's still recovering from a broken leg. He's had no pre-season.

Stay well clear.
  • Yea I'm with yeold

He would be both expensive (wages and fee) and risky given his injuries and jn truth he'd probably not even get into our first XI because he was quite ordinary at Bournemouth (hence why they haven't tried to get him back unlike ake)

Would rather free up the space for Fernandes and Cullen who although young surely are good enough for 4th and 5th choice CM
  • Agree with others though we need another striker. if we are still going to play 1 up top, Hernandez + Carroll + (1 more) + Fletcher is enough.

Hopefully Sakho will be moved on.

Since we are taking everyone's best players Romeu from Southampton would be a good buy to fill the DM spot.
    Gray from Burnley is still an ideal second choice striker, if Hernandez comes in its less pressure for us to secure Gray and maybe Burnley will sell a tad cheaper as the end of the window rolls closer.
This discussion has been closed.