Brexit: the next stage. Deal or No Deal? (and the General Election)

Comments

• I've got the beers in. Bring it on
  • Looks like May will have to suck a lemon.... ;wave
  • In other news

Ukip celebrations short-lived after discovering it's 'exit polls', not 'exit Poles'
  • edited June 2017
    With three north east constituencies declared currently the UK parliament is 100% female
  • Exit poll looking a little iffy at the moment. ;hmm
  • Had too much disappointment through referendum and Trump to get excited but just allowing a small bit of hope to be felt, anything less than they have at present would be a victory and looks possible.
  • Just knocking it on the head
    Too close to call for a hung parliament -the best I was hoping for
    May will be toast whatever happens ;biggrin
  • May is packing as we speak win or lose - badly handled the division caused by brexit.
  • Nick Clegg has lost his seat. Bags being packed as we speak.
  • Well nearly as I predicted, a bad night for May & Tories and the late surge in Labour support so nearly did it.
  • I guess we'll be doing it all again in less than a year...
  • Lord bucket head.... ;lol

IMG_1246
  • Well nearly as I predicted, a bad night for May & Tories and the late surge in Labour support so nearly did it.

I wouldn't say labour nearly did it - whilst a much better showing, still 60 short of a majority?

Agree wit Horsham, it'll be back to the polls again soon
  • Yup conservatives got an even bigger vote share in my constituency all the UKIPpers went back to them.
  • My labour MP got back in which I'm very pleased about.

Looks like there's going to be a lot of shilly shallying about over the next few months.
  • The other milliband would have nailed it had he still been in politics
  • UKIP lost 14k votes 9k went to labour 6k went to conservative. Conservatives lead labour by 10k votes still.
  • 9 months ago Zac Goldsmith resigned his seat over the third runway at Heathrow to stand as an independent in a by election and lost to the Lib Dems

He just won Richmond Park back by 43 votes as a Tory
  • Four seats left to declare, the Tories have 315, they'll get Kensington and will form a coalition with the 10 DUP MPs to give them the 326 they need for a majority
  • Okay, you know what I said about Kensington and Chelsea.....

It seems that the Tories have asked for a fourth recount rather than concede that they've lost. Labour seem to have won by 36.
  • Four seats left to declare, the Tories have 315, they'll get Kensington and will form a coalition with the 10 DUP MPs to give them the 326 they need for a majority

Nothing is certain yet ASLEF we could still see Corbyn in Downing Street.(long shot I know) Although the DUP have a similiar attitude/stance on Brexit they are anti austerity and would therefore be in a very powerful position within an alliance. If May or the Tories can not accept that then we'll all be back at the polls soon.

I personally think that Theresa May (a Remainer remember) could not face or do Brexit and has thrown this election away with a hopeless election campaign she knew would result in this mess.
  • Sorry Laura but no one knowingly throws power away.
  • IronHerb said:

Sorry Laura but no one knowingly throws power away.

I think that is what she has done, last year politics was given a massive problem with Brexit which I don't think any politician of any political persuasion knows how to deal with. As for Brexit itself I'll believe it when it happens but I doubt it will.
  • Morning all !
    Feeling pretty good about the Labour performance - exactly where I thought we would end up to be honest. I didnt succumb to tactical voting in the end - just couldnt do it, and am still awaiting our local result with interest .
    Looks like a period of concensus politics may now be in the offing - and a hard Brexit is in the dustbin. Lots of deals to be made.
    The youth vote and UKIPpers behaviour will probably end up being the defining factors here
  • Labour supporters chanting "Oh Jeremy Corbyn" as per "Oh Santi Cazorla" as he left his home this morning

Well, he is a Gooner

;lol
  • The Tories held my constituency of Hendon but well done Corbyn, six weeks nobody gave him a prayer.
  • I'm gobsmacked.

I didn't stay up in the end, as I couldn't face another disappointment.

I'm so pleased. ;biggrin
  • I see the shadow chancellor has said labour can form a stable minority government without any deals or coalitions - I'd be fascinated to know how that would work in practice!!
  • IronHerb said:

Sorry Laura but no one knowingly throws power away.

I think that is what she has done, last year politics was given a massive problem with Brexit which I don't think any politician of any political persuasion knows how to deal with. As for Brexit itself I'll believe it when it happens but I doubt it will.
    Ironherb,
    To sum up I don't believe a political party that ran a campaign as badly as Tories did, a manifesto that was simply a terrible attack on UK Ciizens, the cuts to education budgets, the Dementia Tax etc was/is serious about being in power so yes I do think May & co threw this election.
    Labours campaign was a slow burner, growing in confidence with a master stroke by Corbyn in deciding to appear at the leaders debate and challenge to do the same, she ducked it was seen to be running away from. No there's no way a party leader/party wanting power would do that.
  • ITV tweeted the young vote went from 43% turnout in 2015 to 72% in 2017

;clap I guess brexit really did cheese off the Young. Glad to see them fight back :)