Brexit: the next stage. Deal or No Deal? (and the General Election)

Comments

• edited June 2017
    A real positive from all of this is an increased political engagement by the 'next generation' imo ;ok
  • The other milliband would have nailed it had he still been in politics

No, the other Miliband would have come out with just more of the same watered down Tory policies that would never have got the under 24 vote out the way Corbyn did.
  • https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DB1szDhXoAIlCgs.jpg

Would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for those pesky kids.......
  • And in more good news, Paul Nuttall has resigned. ;champagne
  • Welcome back Nigel Farage
  • MrsGrey said:

And in more good news, Paul Nuttall has resigned. ;champagne

At least he's got his Ph.D and the memory of his time with Tranmere Rovers to comfort him.

Welcome back Nigel Farage

After he's had a nice chat with the FBI......
  • If May had any decency... oh
  • well that's another fine mess you seem to have got into ,really don't know how you do it over there .glad I came to Canada all those years ago saw the writing on the wall even then . ;biggrin
  • How much of last night was down to a backlash against the tories and how much down to being genuinely impressed with labour I wonder?
  • MrsGrey said:

A real positive from all of this is an increased political engagement by the 'next generation' imo ;ok

Which can only be a good thing for Labour ;ok
  • If the papers didn't constantly try to smear Corbyn's campaign i think the result may have been different. I think his campaign was great and he really reached out to the younger generation.
  • Support him or not Corbyn always comes across as a very decent human being.

However, there are many who will be convinced that the numbers his team produce for the economy simply don't add up.

I personally was extremely ;hmm about the proposal to hike the corporation tax to 26%. That would have been a major deterrent to any business wishing to carry out trade in the UK.

Conversely the tories proposal to cut it to 17% is IMO too aggressive. There surely ought to have been a sensible middle ground on this and many issues.

What we have ended up with polar extremes and a clear insight into exactly how divided this country is.

As one Italian commentator put it, the UK is "ungovernable"
  • edited June 2017

I personally was extremely ;hmm about the proposal to hike the corporation tax to 26%. That would have been a major deterrent to any business wishing to carry out trade in the UK.

Baracks - the global average corporation tax rate for y/e 2015 is 27% and the G7 average was 32.3%. Labours plans would have been in line with the rest of the world, and considerably less than the G7 nations - the leading economies of the world.

• So May wants a coalition with the DUP - rather than being ruled from Brussels we are going to be ruled from Belfast.
  • Just image what could have been achieved had the Parliamentary Labour Party backed their leader - they would be in government this morning.
  • It will not last, another election to take place by November imo.
  • Just image what could have been achieved had the Parliamentary Labour Party backed their leader - they would be in government this morning.

But they don't which makes the shadow chancellors quip that they can form a stable minority government pretty laughable IMO
  • edited June 2017
    baracks, I think that many (mainly on the right) of the party didn't back him primarily because they believed Labour was unelectable on a 'left wing' platform. Since the times they are a'changing, and he has pretty much proved them wrong, they are changing their view - a number have now come out and said they were wrong.
  • edited June 2017
    So,Corbyn gets crucified for his alleged links to Northern Irish terrorists.May now forms a government with the help of a party with links to Northern Irish terrorists.The hypocrisy is unbelievable & could backfire on her spectacularly.It will be interesting to see how it all unfolds because we are now talking about something that affects not just Britain but Ireland as well.Hard border anyone?
  • And now we believe what politicians say?
  • So May wants a coalition with the DUP - rather than being ruled from Brussels we are going to be ruled from Belfast.

It will be interesting how this plays out ... the DUP's policies are both to the right (anti gay-marriage) and to the left (eg, pro triple-lock) of the Tories. I can't see an alliance really working in the long term.
  • Its speaks volumes to me that May is happy to get into bed with the DUP to form a government. They are after all the official wing of the loyalist paramilitaries who along with the IRA, killed 1000's in the Troubles. Yet Corbyn is an IRA sympathiser for speaking to Sinn Fein ???
    #doublestandards ;angry
  • Yes but mrs g you don't have look outside of your party to find deeply contrasting views on certain issues.

If the dup and tories have hooked up so quickly I don't think there will be another election for the full 5 years even if May is replaced. The Tories certainly won't be in a hurry to call one.

Let's see if Corbyn and labour can continue to build on last night - it's very important that they do. And Corbyn should be careful who he puts in place for senior posts. Diane Abbott is probably a fantastic constituency mp, however is flawed in a more prominent post
  • Sinn Fein getting 7 seats gives the Tories a little more wiggle room as they refuse to take up their seats. This makes an effective house to 644 seats meaning 323 is the magic number leaving them 5 short of a majority.
  • How much of last night was down to a backlash against the tories and how much down to being genuinely impressed with labour I wonder?

Completely agree, Baracks.
    All the people I've talked to about labour, never say anything about Labour's policies. It's only about how bad the Tories are (May in particular).

Very good campaign from Labour, I must say. They got it spot on. But I do have some respect for May for trying to get a better majority (which was kind of needed really for them). Obviously back-fired though!
  • Its speaks volumes to me that May is happy to get into bed with the DUP to form a government. They are after all the official wing of the loyalist paramilitaries who along with the IRA, killed 1000's in the Troubles. Yet Corbyn is an IRA sympathiser for speaking to Sinn Fein ???
    #doublestandards ;angry

Politics is nothing but a game bbb

The Tories would have known the hatred of the dup towards Corbyn and his shadow chancellor and have struck quickly to pounce on this and prevent labour from trying to create a minority government
  • edited June 2017

Yes but mrs g you don't have look outside of your party to find deeply contrasting views on certain issues.

;ok My point really was that there will be trade-offs - what will the DUP want from the Tories in return, if they agree to back them on various issues. Will the Tories give them everything they ask? The DUP will have an eye to their own agenda and their own 'constituency' so won't just sign off on everything they are asked to support.

I'm not sure the alliance will hold up as long as you suggest it will.
  • The result is IMO purely an anti-Brexit backlash and this was the only way to express it.