Brexit: the next stage. Deal or No Deal? (and the General Election)

Comments

• edited June 2017
    Maybe tell them that if they keep their fingers crossed behind their backs it doesn't count.......
  • ;whistle
  • edited June 2017

As the Tories (317) are unlikely to vote "no confidence" in themselves Labour, Lib Dems, SNP, Plaid and Greens (314) would need the DUP's support.

Might you could get a few rebel Tories possibly voting against? Possibly? If they hate Brexit, or hate May, or if the govt offers something regressive to the DUP?

Of if the DUP feel they aren't getting what they want from the Tories, they might not back the govt...

And the Tory majority could shrink further if that South Thanet MP has to step down after the election expenses trial.

And if a sitting MP pops his or her clogs and the seat is lost in the subsequent bye-election.

And if one crosses the floor.

And if they elect a Tory speaker, who doesn't vote.......

Can you see what I'm hoping for here? ;biggrin
  • edited June 2017
    Interesting.

George Osborne being interviewd on the telly: May’s negotiating position of 'no deal is better than a bad deal' is dead in the water. The DUP would never allow the UK to just walk away without a deal because that would result in a hard border going up between Northern Ireland and the Republic, which is unacceptable to the DUP.

I wonder if that is true (not the DUP position) but that a no deal in terms of trade would necessarily also mean no deal in terms of anything else. ;hmm

Still, the lack of a clear majority must surely weaken her negotiating position.
  • edited June 2017
    Mrs G - the only Tories that would want another election are those with very, very large majorities, the rest aren't going to rock the boat and risk losing their seats.

The current speaker is a Tory, I think the next one has to be Labour by tradition

Apparently the deal with the DUP isn't done and they're angry at May for saying it was.

Somehting about organising something in a brewery? ;lol
  • edited June 2017
    ;hmm I thought Bercow was Labour? My mistake. (I'd leapt to that assumption after he rubbished Trump.)
  • edited June 2017
    So I hear May will be the next England manager, seeing how she can successfully bring defeat from victory is an expert in shooting herself and shows continued disregard for her opposition ensuring a kick in the backside....

The knives must be out but I guess the problem for the tories is that BJ is the man waiting in the wings, we know he wants the job as he sold the whole country down the river by backing exit to get it....
  • That's the problem - many people (many millions actually) would disagree that voting to leave the EU was selling the country down the river
  • MrsGrey said:

Interesting.

I wonder if that is true (not the DUP position) but that a no deal in terms of trade would necessarily also mean no deal in terms of anything else. ;hmm

Still, the lack of a clear majority must surely weaken her negotiating position.

Yes no deal would mean exactly that
  • MrsGrey said:

;hmm I thought Bercow was Labour? My mistake. (I'd leapt to that assumption after he rubbished Trump.)

No, Bercow (Con) followed Betty Boothroyd (Lab) who followed Bernard Wetherill (Con) who followed George Thomas (Lab) who followed Selwyn Lloyd (Con) who followed old uncle Tom Cobbley and All (Jesus Christ we're all going to die party).
  • John Oliver explains Brexit and the General Election to Americans

Warning; gets a bit sweary
  • Michael Gove for the environment?? Really??!!! Loves fox hunting, hates badger. I wouldn't let him empty the litter tray!!!
  • edited June 2017
    I think May is hoping that giving Gove a job will dissuade him from mounting a leadership challenge as he was the only one of her three opponents last year who wasn't already in her cabinet.
  • Keep your enemies close.
  • I hope all Brexiteers are fit and healthy and not in need of hospital care.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-40248366

Oh well, at least they're taking back control.
  • Last July, 1,304 nurses from the EU joined the Nursing and Midwifery Council register, compared to 46 in April this year, a fall of 96%. The Health Foundation said the findings could not be more stark and said they should act as a "wake-up call".

But the NMC said the introduction of English language testing for EU nurses is also likely to have played a role
    Does this mean the NMU were registering nurses who couldn't speak English fluently? I'd have thought that would have been essential for working in UK hospitals, etc.

"Nurse, I'm worried about my discharge......."
  • ;angry ;angry ;angry
  • Personally, I'm in favour of Gove hunting ;biggrin
  • Who you're gonna call??? Gove Busters!!!!
  • Trump and May melting the icecap one decision at a time.....
  • edited June 2017
    Just as a matter of interest is anyone who is against fox hunting happy to consume a helping of fois gras in a posh restaurant?? ;hmm

• Personally it what's in the first three paragraphs that bother me..

I eat anything, give me a slow roasted Panda served on a bed of pickled dodo eggs and I will ask for seconds....

Or not...
  • edited June 2017
    Gove also (when he was in charge of education) tried to get the subject of climate change moved in the curriculum so that it was taught in science, rather than geography. This would have meant the focus was on just the physical science rather than also covering the human impact/contribution.
    He is on the record as saying he wants to scrap various environmental regulations once we leave the EU (and will be no longer bound by them).

All this when the govt is repeatedly derelict in its duty (and has been for years) in fulfilling its legal obligations to tackling air pollution. (I have highlighted this issue before.) I ahve an absolute certainty that they will delay some more, until we are out f the EU, then scrap the rules, avoid the fines and allow people to continue to die unnecessarily. ;angry
  • Last July, 1,304 nurses from the EU joined the Nursing and Midwifery Council register, compared to 46 in April this year, a fall of 96%. The Health Foundation said the findings could not be more stark and said they should act as a "wake-up call".

But the NMC said the introduction of English language testing for EU nurses is also likely to have played a role
    Does this mean the NMU were registering nurses who couldn't speak English fluently? I'd have thought that would have been essential for working in UK hospitals, etc.

"Nurse, I'm worried about my discharge......."

Our pediatrician wanted to get permission to work in the UK and the stuff she had to do was beyond ridiculous. She had a diploma from the GDR and it was such a hassle to have the UK acknowledge it. And then the language testing ... even I had trouble doing some of that. I understand they need to understand and talk but is it really neccessary for a doctor to write essays in a foreign language?
  • To be honest, some of the writing I have seen from British doctors, I'm not sure I would notice the difference if it was written in another language.
  • The English language testing requirement is being implemented in the most ridiculous way, imo.

It is inflexible and inappropriate. Almost like they are being drawn up by politicians and bureaucrats, rather than experts. ;wink
  • Every decision made by Downing Street in the last 72hours is most troubling.

You know there is a massive problem when Sir John Major and Tony Blairs cheif of staff agree.
  • y large majorities, the rest aren't going to rock the boat and risk losing their seats.

The current speaker is a Tory, I think the next one has to be Labour by tradition

Bercow staying on ;ok