Brexit: the next stage. Deal or No Deal? (and the General Election)

Comments

• I don't agree NE

Plenty of other issues such as austerity, the dementia tax etc.

• edited June 2017
    Baracks, I think those points just added to it. ;ok.
    Poorer economy = more austerity etc.
    The Brexit result has harmed the economy already and when it finally happens it'll be worse.
  • baracks, I agree with you.

May tried to make it all abut Brexit, but I think voters pretty much ignored that and voted on a wider range of national issues. Which is as it should be.

I think she massively misjudged the situation.
  • And another thing,whatever side you are on re Brexit,getting into bed with the DUP has just made any settlement almost impossible. Bearing in mind the DUP position on not just Brexit but the Irish border,which of course is the EU border,the Taoiseach in Dublin will block their every move.You really couldn't make this up.Strong and stable or a coalition of chaos,anyone?
  • edited June 2017
    I've talked with a few fellow supporters this lunchtime, and we've come to a few conclusions/wish lists.
    1. There will be Brexit - however it will be a much more collegiate approach, as the Tories now know they do not have, and will not get, cross party support for a hard Brexit. Not all conservatives back this, and the small majority could easily be wiped out. The tory whips will be very busy.
    2. There will be another Brexit vote within the next 5 years, and we will go back into Europe. The initial 1970's vote to go in has been overturned - so can this one, its not for ever.
    3. The next General election will bring a Labour Victory.
    Why - pure demographics - what the Conservatives cannot fight is time. The baby boomer generation are starting to die off, and this is a the conservatives traditional base that turn out in droves to vote. The conservatives have ignored the youth vote for years, and are not attractive to that demographic.
    4. Trident will be gone within the next 10 years - we cannot justify the expense.
    ( £ 205 billion ;doh ) And it is not doing its job against the type of asymetric warfare and terrorism we are likely to face going forward.

The money tree does exist, we are a rich country, its where you choose to shake it !!
  • edited June 2017
    NEoldiron said:

The Brexit result has harmed the economy already and when it finally happens it'll be worse.

Has it conclusively though - fx rates have struggled but the euro is still above the 1.1 it was at several years ago.

The ftse is riding high

Me personally I've not been busier since post brexit. It probably has nothing to do with brexit however painting a universally bleak picture already is little premature IMO
  • So you know what Brexit looks like NE? Please tell as no one else has a clue.
  • On another front, what now for the queen of Scots??
  • edited June 2017
    If she bins Indeyref2 and goes back to marketing herself as a competent leader by actually dealing with Scotlands problems, she and the SNP will gain traction again.
  • edited June 2017
    Nicked from FB:

Theresa May warned of a coalition of chaos propped up by extremist terrorist sympathisers. She just didn't say she'd be leading it.

• Again - like May has been damaged by a single focus on Brexit, and ignoring other issues, Sturgeon has made the same mistake with indyref2.
  • Spouting about how she's going to deal with terrorists one day and cosying up the the political wing of the PIRA the next.

Woman has no morals and will do anything to cling to power.

• So LSB says May threw the election and Suze says she's clinging on by any means. ;hmm
  • I suspect we've seen the end of the tabloids as arbiters of UK politics. Sun, Mail & Express threw all they had into backing May, & failed.

DIE DIE DIE !
  • edited June 2017
    Herb, it's all a very subtle cunning plan worthy of Blackadder to confuse all and sundry (especially the Tory Party) ;biggrin
  • Well I'm confused for sure. ;biggrin
  • edited June 2017
    I imagine the meeting between Ruth Davidson and her party's new allies will be an awkward one.

(Actually, reading about her views on various issues, I can't see why she is a Tory. Maybe she'll defect ;biggrin )
  • edited June 2017
    Last result in - Labour took Kensington from the Tories. By 20 votes ;nonono

#endofdays #endofMays
  • MrsGrey said:

baracks, I agree with you.

May tried to make it all abut Brexit, but I think voters pretty much ignored that and voted on a wider range of national issues. Which is as it should be.

I think she massively misjudged the situation.

MrsGrey,
    Not only did she and I think it must be said her advisers badly misjudge the situation also I think they treated the core Tory voters with arrogance with some of their manifesto proposals. They came across as thinking they could do nothing wrong when infact they did very little right throughout the campaign. When I read of the large numbers of people registering to vote, which I think it's safe to assume were mostly young and would probably be more inclined to vote Labour I thought the result would not be the foregone conclusion the polls at the time suggested and in final voting percentage the parties ended up very close, quite an achievement by Corbyn and Labour from the huge gap between the two at the start of the Election Campaign.
    Interestedly Corbyn has emerged stronger as Labour leader and his position is now secure and hopefully all his MP's will not work with him. May on the other hand is badly damaged and looked at times to be clueless as to what to do, not the strong and stable leader she claims to be.
  • edited June 2017
    So it's not going to be a formal alliance, but a 'confidence and supply' agreement.

In other words, the Tories (sorry, I mean the Conservative and Unionist party ;doh ) will ask for the DUP to back them on specific issues, and the DUP will hold the Tories to ransom.

There are so many areas of conflict. And if the Tories give way on some issues, they will alienate their own back-benchers, so unless they impose a 3-line whip, they will be no better off. I genuinely can't see how this is going to last beyond 2017.

Still, I guess if you are Theresa May, you hope by the time it all goes pear-shaped, there's a new scapegoat you can blame it all on, and you can cling on to power by any means necessary.
  • edited June 2017
    The Tory Party rules are that if 15% of MPs - 48 - write to the 1922 committee saying they have no confidence in the leadership then candidates can mount a challenge
  • In which case I give her until Tuesday week.

I think most people feel she is merely holding the door now whilst a new leader is chosen behind the scenes, the possible candidates are likely canvassing backing as we speak. The most obvious conclusion ever from that election is that the Tory party will never call an election again whilst she is leader and as another election is necessary to govern she has to go sooner or later. The problem is they are unsure of even winning the next one so may wait until they have rode out this storm and built a new fictional narrative about being strong and stable again.
  • I can see May being ousted as leader, but why do we think that there will be another election, does not the fixed term act require that 66% of MPs need to agree to hold another one before the 4 year term is up.

IMO the Tories surely can feel the breath of labour on their necks and would be very reluctant to agree.

I think there might be different rules if a no confidence vote is held???
  • Chicago,
    Yes I think she's toast as far as leading the Tories goes, she's damaged and has been shown to be a weak leader. They made a poor choice in her as leader after Cameron and I can't see her surviving more than a few more months.
  • edited June 2017
    Chicago - the Fixed Parliament Act made it a FIVE year term not four, the Tories now don't have to call an election until 2022.

In order to trigger another General Election you either need the two thirds or there have to be two "no confidence" votes in the space of 14 days and all that's needed is a simple majority. As the Tories (317) are unlikely to vote "no confidence" in themselves Labour, Lib Dems, SNP, Plaid and Greens (314) would need the DUP's support.

Or for DUP to abstain and the seven Sinn Fein MPs could actually take their seats in Westminster. Seeing as the papers kept harping on that Corbyn supported the IRA you'd think he might have a word with Gerry Adams and get his lot to turn up for once in their lives.

Ryanair flights from Belfast to London are cheap, they could fly over, vote and fly back again the next day. And if they brought sleeping bags they could kip in Corbyn's spare room.
  • Sinn Fein will not pledge allegiance to the Queen which, I understand, they need to do to take their seats.