The 'couldn't think where else to put this' and decided it didn't merit a new thread thread

Comments

• edited December 2017
    Herb, it's not to my taste (style-wise) and I think it is grossly vulgar. But that's a matter of opinion and preference ;ok
  • Has his mum not heard of contemporary !...
    But as Mrs Grey said , each to their own I guess..
  • I get personal taste and all that, and for sure some of those rooms looked quite nice, however, some of those rooms were proper ghastly.

Gawd knows what I would be like if I had that sort of cash, but somewhat fortunately, I doubt if I will ever find out.
  • Money cannot buy style or taste
  • ASLEF

Well, it can buy the individual's style or taste.

Not convinced about a universal 'style' or 'taste' that we can (or should) all agree on.
  • Judging by his dad's choice in headwear, was he ever going to have universally popular style preferences?
  • I think people should be able to buy and wear what the hell want.

I don’t like it but I’m not going to sit in judgment.

If I had the money to buy and decorate my house how I wanted I wouldnt give a dam what any of you thought about it ;biggrin
  • Seems to me it is mainly a class thing.

For some reason, 'posh' people get to say what is 'stylish' and 'good taste', and any working class oiks who fail to follow this are simply vulgar.

Skeletal models can prance up and down a catwalk in rubber bands and feathers, and it is daring/challenging/visionary.

A working class bloke wears a furry hat, and he's derided for it.
  • edited December 2017
    Need to be putting yet more money into the club to prove he/they are serious about making us a bigger club achievement wise. ;whistle
  • Seems to me it is mainly a class thing.

For some reason, 'posh' people get to say what is 'stylish' and 'good taste', and any working class oiks who fail to follow this are simply vulgar.

Skeletal models can prance up and down a catwalk in rubber bands and feathers, and it is daring/challenging/visionary.

A working class bloke wears a furry hat, and he's derided for it.

Nothing wrong with an Ushanka, I've got one myself (I like hats) but dressing like an extra from "Hunt for Red October" is a bit OTT

As Coco Chanel said "La mode passe; le style reste" or "Fashions pass; style remains". Chanel was born dirt poor btw

Naturally you should decide what you do and don't like, if we all had the same tastes the world would be dreadfully dull
  • Vulgar was always my middle name, but I did have my teenage years in the 1970s. ;whistle
  • Mine started in the 60's ;weep
  • At the time, I certainly thought I cut a splendid dash in my black velvet drape with red trim (70's Ted revival) although, oddly, no photographic evidence remains...
  • Ahhhhhh flares, long hair, penny round collars, tank tops, Bolan jackets, platform shoes, high waisters.........

We must have been mad
  • Strange my dad says he had a full head of hair in the 70s but also no pictures remain...

A case for the xfiles methinks....
  • Here's one; who remembers cap sleeved t shirts, looked great if you had muscles but not quite so impressive if you had arms like pipe cleaners......
  • edited December 2017
    Or rolling up your t-shirt sleeve to hold your packet of fags...

I did love my two-tone Ben Sherman shirt, though.
  • Platform shoes flaired trousers with double side pockets very classy
  • Budgie jacket, loons, clogs, and whatever dreadful feather cut was in vogue that week. ;diva
  • edited December 2017
    High waisters!!! I recall that there was stall in Romford Market where got my first pairs...I also recall a particular type of dress shoe, leather soled with a criss cross pattern and of course blakeys... my I looked, and sounded good ;doh
  • Leather soles and blakeys on an icy surface ;nonono
  • Leather soles and blakeys on an icy surface ;nonono

Or a polished wooden floor at school ;lol ;lol
  • You would get stopped by the bouncers if you tried to go into a disco with Blakeys cos they'd mess up the dancefloor. The criss cross pattern shoes were called Solatio's

Wasn't lime green was the colour of choice for high waisters or is my memory failing?
  • I have beige/light tan in my head but I may be wrong, Solatio’s well done sir ;clap
  • OMG - just for giggles I decided to google Solatio’s, as you do, and you can still buy them.

The faithful 70s shoe was Re-launched in 2012 and they are exactly as you remember them, a bit pricey at STG 120, but they were never cheap even back then.

I think that fortunatly they do not have my size in stock, otherwise I just might have been tempted ;cool
  • I bought a pair of ox blood basket weave Solatios from that site last year.Worn them about 3 times with my levis and Fred Perry .Only one other bloke in our village pub clocked them and he is a hammers fan originally from Bethnal green. I used to have a petrol blue tonic suit to go with my original Solatios- and a Crombie ;ok
  • BBB :-)

Ok deed is done , looked again and my size has been in stock since November, I mis-read it earlier, so.........a pair of black Solatio 102s are now on their way to Chicago

I would be very surprised if anyone over here will clock them ;cool

Am very strangely excited ;ok
  • ;lol Fantastic!
  • Chicago- Well played ;clap
This discussion has been closed.