The 'couldn't think where else to put this' and decided it didn't merit a new thread thread

Comments

• edited December 2017
    Im on an 80's revisit via YouTube listening to 5 star... So what do I know ;biggrin

#let_me_be_the_one (I have no shame and I know it)
  • Did he apologise for being racist though? I thought he apologised for being insensitive and causing offence. I don’t think anyone has said he IS a racist, people have just said that it is racially insensitive.
  • He was accused of racism, he apologised. I think the perception would be that he apologised for racist behaviour. I can fully understand the offence caused by the picture, but the word racist is used too easily now (imo). The headline will never say "accused of being a bit of a wally" because that doesn`t sell. Like Baz, I`m not defending him, but dressing up as he did does not make him a racist, but that is the conclusion reached without any sensible discourse and any attempt to defend him will be pre-judged as indefensible and apologist.
  • Alders, I think when I made the comments I couldve chosen better wording. There's obviously a difference between being 'racially insensitive' and racist plus having to apologize for one or either thing. After my initial irritance, I just think he made a poor choice in posting on social media (when he shouldve really known it would cause a reaction as so many people follow big celebs and sports stars).

• I don`t think there are any two ways about it, he was not accused of being "racially insensitive", but of directly being a racist, as the headlines below show:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=is+griezman+a+racist&oq=is+griezman+a+racist&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60.6375j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Ill judged, yes, racist, not necessarily (imo)
  • edited December 2017
    Most of those are about racism or of the costume being racist. There’s a difference between that and him being racist.
  • Good point Outcast. A subtle difference and not one I`d picked up on. I am not going to word this correctly, but it`s the only way I can get my point across, I think the "racist card" is played too easily. I believe in absolute equality between humans (there should be no distinction beyond that) but I can`t stand, for want of a better expression, political correctness and the "liberal" belief in what is right, wrong and acceptable, and what should be "shut down".
  • It isn't "played" too much. We bite our tongues till they bleed because most of the time, it's not worth it, and anyway "political correctness" is used to shut down everything. All these little things come up in the media but most people don't talk much about the racism they experience because someone who's never been through it has always got some way to dismiss it. How can you get equality if the people losing from the current balance aren't allowed to point out what's wrong?

When people moan about "political correctness" they're really just saying they want the version of "correct" to be their feelings not being in danger of getting hurt.
  • Outcast, I agree with everything you say and have not expressed myself particularly well. I know what I believe and know I`m right. ;biggrin ;wink

I hate the fact that Jeremy Corbyn would be welcomed with open arms to espouse his views on most university campuses, but someone like Katie Hopkins would be no platformed. Just to clarify, I would tend to align myself with Corbyn rather than Hopkins politically, but it is the principle of shutting down Hopkins just because her views are not particularly de rigeur. I also hate the methods used by Antifa, but again would stand shoulder to shoulder with them in a two way fight with the KKK. Hard to explain, but a lot of "correctness" really bugs me. Racism, sexism, in fact any "ism" goes against pretty much all I believe in so we are in agreement there, I just think that a lot of "correctness" comes from fear of freedom of thought and a propensity to be outraged. I will add that I am also a middle aged white male and have never myself directly been racially abused so will never understand. I have, however, had first hand experience as three of my best friends were Asian and I also hung around with a couple of black kids, this was in Romford in the 70`s and 80`s so The NF and skinheads were pretty active, and yes we could all run fast.
  • I`m not going to do politics anymore, but as this is the random thread, and we are playing tonight, and it`s getting a little closer to Christmas, which I love, and I feel a little bit excited (doesn`t happen often). I`m going to play this ;wahoo

• Didn’t want to start a new thread but does anyone else struggle to edit using an iPhone because when you tap into the thread to put the cursor where you want it to go it doesn’t work properly and goes somewhere else?
  • Yes, Baracks! When I’m typing a comment and i click somewhere further back within the comment, the page jumps and I have to go back to the comment (and the cursor isn’t where I had clicked on).
  • Just came across this story, think it spreads a little bit of peace and hope. Merry Christmas.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/protester-hugged-nazi-pleads-hate-article-1.3575977
  • Yeoldhammer

Username Yeoldhammer
    Joined March 2011
    Visits 12,252

7 year anniversary coming up ;wahoo

Almost visiting the site 5 times a day

#addicted
    #needanewhobby
  • I joined a month prior to you and I've visited about 8.5K times less. This cant be right though because it feels like I visit 5 times an hour! ;lol ;scary
  • 13,897 ;lol

I have a very patient girlfriend ;biggrin
  • Mine left me after 2,000 visits ;whistle
  • Then my wife decided to as well
  • Bazshuayi said:

I joined a month prior to you and I've visited about 8.5K times less. This cant be right though because it feels like I visit 5 times an hour! ;lol ;scary

More like 5 times a day for an hour each time. ;biggrin
  • December 2011, 806 visits. I have a shop where people keep strolling in, apparently these are called customers. They take my time up anyways.
  • Feb 2011 - 7,650.

I thought I came here a lot but some of you guys...
  • Jan11 - old-school member... ;wink
  • I'm Jan 2011 as well with just under 5.5k visits. What constitutes a visit? As I am in all day looking up to 20 times a day at least - I stay logged in and only sign in when I'm kicked out.
  • Guys, I hate to tell you, but I think those visit numbers are under-reporting...
  • so am I on like 50k :open_mouth:
  • tbh, I'm not sure what counts.

I just tried logging off and back on, but nothing changed.

Cleared cookies, logged back in and still no change in visit number.

#random

Guess we take the figure as 'at least'.
  • I regularly post on here and nothing changes. ;biggrin
This discussion has been closed.