The 'couldn't think where else to put this' and decided it didn't merit a new thread thread

Comments

• baracks,

Just the 3 days I thought most people were booking the week off!
  • It was a fair time ago but I used to roar with laughter when watching 'Mrs Merton' I enjoy Sacha a lot too.

I know there's bias there but Brit comedy is just better than everywhere else. I am in a bit of a time warp because I have been abroad so long but whether its Blackadder, One foot in the grave, Bottom, The Vicar of Dibley, AbFab etc we're just better at it

• Indeed we were, Dads Army, Yes Minister, Porridge, After all hours, Allo Allo, Last of the summer wine, Are you being served and let us not forget, Only Fools..the list really does go on and on

Unfortunately the list also includes Mrs Browns Boys, I get that many people really like the show and that is fine, however, IMO it does not have the wit and polish of the shows I grew up with.

Generally speaking, yes we are pretty good at that kind of stuff.
  • edited December 2017
    There are some, in my mind, very good American sitcoms such as Seinfeld, Curb Your Enthusiasm and Frasier but generally you can't beat the old British sitcoms
  • Baz/Chicago Ten years ago I would have agreed with you re comedy. And the list of classic British comedy is almost endless, to add to above I would have to include the great Leonard Rossiter with Reggie Perrin and Rising damp. But, my favourite comedies over the past ten years have all generally been American to include Friends, Frasier, Big Bang, Everybody Loves Raymond and the work of genius (imo) that is Modern Family. Phil Dunphy is one of my favourite characters of all time. I do feel that British Comedy has gone backwards over recent years, apart from Father Ted and The Office (neither of which are very recent) I can`t think of one British comedy that is "must see". But that may be just me getting old and miserable. I will have to check out Curb Your Enthusiasm cos I`ve never seen it.
  • My time warp is because its been many years since I lived in UK. Iwas really just referring to comedy but, yes, the yanks do make good sitcoms. Friends was really popular when I was in UK as was Cheers. I like Frasier too,

As for Modern Family... I just cant watch it. Sofia Vergara distracts me too much ;wahoo
  • Don’t forget Blackadder guys....
  • Nor Norfolk's greatest ever export, Alan Gordon Partridge
  • Baz. Sofia sure is purdy. ;diva ;wahoo ;phew
  • edited December 2017

Don’t forget Blackadder guys....

I didnt ;nonono Was first one I mentioned. I liked the 4th series best
  • Baz ;ok

All but the 1st are classics.
  • Fawlty Towers?

Vors - but the first series has got the Spanish Infanta (with Jim Broadbent as her interpreter)

And Brian Blessed at his maddest
  • Fawlty Towers wasnt included by me as it was further back from my time warp. It is though an all time classic and hard to argue whats been made before or since thats actually better.
  • As the Bilic thread is closed, thought I'd leave this here:

dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5184483/Slaven-Bilic-Im-not-broken-man-Im-ready-again.html#ixzz51N7hfjht

Interesting read. Remains a very classy guy.
  • And in other sports, England are being hammered at the Waca ;weep
  • 5-0 white wash in our very near future.

Boxing Day at the MCG will be fun.... NOT.
  • As the Bilic thread is closed, thought I'd leave this here:

dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5184483/Slaven-Bilic-Im-not-broken-man-Im-ready-again.html#ixzz51N7hfjht

Interesting read. Remains a very classy guy.

Will be the guest on Goals on Sunday next week ;ok
  • edited December 2017
    English cricket doesn't merit much, let alone its own thread. Ashes gone, 3-0 so far with an innings defeats, a 10 wicket defeat and a loss by 120 runs.
  • Same old England. Two batsman can't carry you every innings.
  • When your best player gets done for GBH and currently playing Hobbit cricket....
  • I've looked at the Griezmann article on the BBC website a couple of times now and have to admit its irritated me that he has had to apologize for going to a party as a Harlem Globetrotter

So... If a black man goes to a fancy dress party, whites his face and goes as David Beckham would white people (outside of those that are racist anyway) have an issue with that?

If this is too sensitive a topic for the site then I'll expect it to be deleted (without any issue)

• Baz

I'd say if you are part of a community that has suffered prejudice for a prolonged period of time, you get more rights to be sensitive.

'Look, I've made myself look like a black man. Isn't that funny?'

No, it is crass, and insensitive. imo, at least.
  • IMO, There is a fine line as it depends, like many things on intent.

If someone wants to go to a costume party as a Harlem globetrotter, that is perfectly fine but I do not see why he neccessarily feels that he needs to “Black” up for it.

In the same way, kids have dressed up as Red Indians, Shepards or even The Three Wise Men for generations, rarely is any attempt made to change the skin color - there is no need for it

In theatre it is deemed inappropriate to “black” up for a part and in essence I agree with the principle, however I do understand that there are times when the available parts cannot be filled without someone being asked to play a role.

Ben Kingsley famously played Gandhi, and there are many articles out there advocating that he should never have been given the role, the problem I have with that is that no-one can realistically deny that he was brilliant and totally made the role his own.

In theatre or film, at least you are playing a deliberate role that is essential to the story being told, it is not a parody or an attempt to extract humor for the sake of it.
  • It’s right he should apologise. There is no need to do it, it was OBVIOUSLY going to offend, and it is at best insensitive. I have made it through more years than Greizman without ever feeling the need to wear blackface. There’s no excuse.

Also, the counter argument is dangerous, imo. “If a black person did x”. Doesn’t matter. We’re talking about Greizman not this hypothetical.
  • Except Robert Downey Jr playing a "blacked up" character called Kirk Lazarus in Tropic Thunder.
  • Because Hollywood never does anything questionable...?
  • edited December 2017
    Robert Downey Jnr playrd Kirk Lazarus, a white actor who "blacked up" to play the part of Sergeant Lincoln Osiris
  • If your going to a party/ fancy dress as a globe trotter you should be able to black up without fear of upsetting anyone it’s a fact they were black/ mixed raced basketball players I just think pc goes a little over the top sometimes and I speak from experience in 1963 my uncle and a few mates formed a football club in Nottingham called Clifton all whites, in the 90s they were asked to change the name to Clifton united because the black community could be offended, the chairman of the club refused citing the reason they were called all whites was because they played in all white and that they had brought through black players who had made it professionally ie jenas, Chris fairclogh, Pedro Richards Bowery, Benjamin to name but a few so it wasn’t a racist thing they won in the end but another over the top pc brigade thort
  • Sorry, cuz, but the idea that
    you should be able to black up without fear of upsetting anyone
    seems bizarre to me.

I can't see how you aren't going to upset many people by doing something like that.

It has nothing to do with PC (as so few, if any, of these things do, despite the claims.)

If people aren't prepared to live their lives without concerning themselves as to whether their actions are going to upset or hurt others, then I can only assume it is because they are utterly selfish and thoughtless.
  • Sorry, cuz, but the idea that

you should be able to black up without fear of upsetting anyone
    seems bizarre to me.

I can't see how you aren't going to upset many people by doing something like that.

It has nothing to do with PC (as so few, if any, of these things do, despite the claims.)

If people aren't prepared to live their lives without concerning themselves as to whether their actions are going to upset or hurt others, then I can only assume it is because they are utterly selfish and thoughtless.

And I’m sorry but we have to agree to disagree I’ve got mixed race grandkids and son in law and got no problems with that it is to play a part not to hurt someone or offend them
This discussion has been closed.