The 'couldn't think where else to put this' and decided it didn't merit a new thread thread

Comments

• There have been Latino and White Globetrotters.
  • Cuz

I have no doubt that Griezman had no intention of hurting or offending anyone.
    I'm also certain that he offended or upset a lot of people when they saw what he had done.

Just because he didn't intend offence doesn't mean offence wasn't caused, nor does it make it all right.

Nor, in the end, does it matter whether or not you or I are or aren't all right with it.

We aren't the group who are likely to be offended by it.
  • Bazshuayi said:

I've looked at the Griezmann article on the BBC website a couple of times now and have to admit its irritated me that he has had to apologize for going to a party as a Harlem Globetrotter

So... If a black man goes to a fancy dress party, whites his face and goes as David Beckham would white people (outside of those that are racist anyway) have an issue with that?

If this is too sensitive a topic for the site then I'll expect it to be deleted (without any issue)

I totally agree Baz. People just love to be offended these days. Can't do anything without being labeled 'racist' or 'sexist' or whatever.
  • Fair enough but my point is why the group which we are not part of offended when he was just portraying a role

• Can't do anything without being labeled 'racist' or 'sexist' or whatever.

That's a ridiculous comment, really.

Of course you can do things without being labelled....
  • Cuz1

Well, you could read their reactions, to see if that helps to explain it, or you could ask some of them, I guess.

Tiwst, yeah, isn't it a nuisance when you have to give thought to how other people might react to your behaviour?

Cor, what have we come to, eh?

Next they'll be wanting to move in next door.
  • He harms his own case doing it anyway, the team and sport might be dominated by black athletes but that doesn't mean there are not white athletes who play for the Harlem Globetrotters or Basketball in general. I don't see why he needs to 'blackface' to portray a basket ball player ?
  • edited December 2017
    One explanation of why it was a stupid thing to do and why some people are upset with it:

"Sad to see this from one of my favourite players," he wrote. "But our skin is not a costume to wear for 'fun'. People struggle through life just for having this skin so it should not be worn for entertainment purposes.

"I think it's an honest mistake from him but it’s still not right."

Agree or disagree, but that's one of the reasons why people don't like what he did.

'Blackface' has a history - and that history partly explains why white people painting their faces black as a joke is not seen as particularly hilarious by many (black and white alike).

Again, agree or disagree, but have an informed opinion ;ok
  • I was picking up a click and collect parcel from a local major department store on Friday but forgot to take id so couldn’t collect. They said I’d have to come back as id is required. I said fair enough, my fault, I’ll send the wife in when she’s up here tomorrow.
    The woman behind me in the queue said I was disgustingly sexist and she’d found my comments offensive and degrading to women.
    I asked her what on Earth she was on about and told her to mind her own business as my wife loves shopping and it wouldn’t be a problem.
  • You know what makes me laugh; white middle/old aged men complaining that they can't say anything anymore because someone might take offence.

Poor little hard-done-by things......
  • If at any point in time your fancy dress requires you paint you skin colour anything other than that of mythical or fantasy people/creatures, e.g. the undead, orcs, witches etc you are doing fancy dress wrong.

It has nothing to do with being PC and everything to do with groups of people being treated horrendously throughout history based on the colour of their skin and you making that a bit of a joke is not acceptable.
  • edited December 2017
    Thorn, just because someone said it, doesn't make it true.

You can't (imo) dismiss the validity of much of the criticism of sexist behaviour just because one person has perhaps formed a unique interpretation of what constitutes sexism, or has rushed to judgement on insufficient information or without adequate thought.
  • Oh... the.. its ok to touch that woman's bum on the tube, my wife loves it when I do that... defense

Some women are just soooo sensitive these days..

;doh
  • I'm not dismissing the validity of anything. If you think that my saying the wife will collect it is sexist then that's up to you. I was just commenting on what was said to me and I have absolutely no idea why she said it because I can't see anything offensive whatsoever in what I said. My wife does like shopping and if I don't have to go then I'm fine with that.
    I've not said anything about touching women's bums so I don't see what that has anything to do with it. She claimed to find it offensive that I'd suggested my wife collect the item which in fact was for her in the first place.
  • Thorn, if you have quoted exactly what you told the shop assistant, then maybe it was the use of the words "send the wife" that upset the woman behind you.
    Nothing wrong with it, it's only an expression, but maybe she was looking to be offended.
  • Thorn, I don`t think any of us can accurately gauge the validity of the (non gender specific) persons complaint about your behaviour, tone and latent sexual aggressiveness until judgement has been passed by Lady Brady. Until judgement has been passed I think it would be wise for you to stay indoors for not only your own protection but for the protection and peace of mind of your local community. Far be it for me to pre-empt Lady Bradys judgement but imo you appear to walk a very fine line in your use of provocative language and I hope that this will be a lesson to you.
  • edited December 2017
    I miss the days when you could call out racism without someone getting offended, as if it being called out it worse than racism itself. Blooming PC brigade ;angry
  • This is tricky stuff...

Maybe we should this topic to bed?
  • outcast ;ok

Don't do the crime be racist if you can't do the time take being called racist.

In the pre-snowflake generation, real men wore their labels with pride. ;biggrin
  • I’m going to change the topic.

I’d like to go back to the cricket - I can’t believe that I haven’t even started my Christmas shopping and already England have lost the Ashes...
  • Are you referring to the Ladies team barracks? ;run
  • England are pitiful. They lack any fight and I just wish they would fly home now and save us anymore embarrassment.
  • But the World Cup hasn't started yet Preston. ;whistle
  • I'm not sure I will bother watching. I think my head will explode if we lose the opening game against Tunisia...hahaha
  • Thing is if the series was in England we’d win it as the coach said Australia won’t have us English players play club cricket over there so maybe we should stop them doing the same over here
  • England test bats for sale
    Remember this
    2BBE5973-FBBE-4917-A61F-19F6CD330A00
  • I think what Griezmann did was a poor choice and poor judgment. If he had dressed as a Globetrotter with the intention to offend then I'd be more than happy to slag him off.

To clarify, I am a middle aged white man. Someone who has a racist father born within the sound of Bow bells. In fact, unless you're from the East End he doesnt like you.

He even said I married a black woman to spite him.... I asked my sons mother and my wife plus a close friend (who are all black) for their thoughts.

The consensus was that he was a famous fool for doing it and putting himself in that position to apologize. I'm good with that. I just dont like that he's had to apologize for being racist (when I dont think he had that intention).

Now if he had to apologize for being a man showing poor judgment and choice, then I'd be cool with that.

At the end of the day its not like I am sticking up for him. If hes fool enough to go on social media and post the photo then surely he'll expect a reaction. Perhaps hes just not a very smart individual?

Perhaps also I should not have brought this to the site. Apologies for that as I should know better to bring a topic here that has potential to get out of hand
  • I was a big cricket fan between 1999 and 2006, went to Essex games at Lord's, the Oval, Chelmsford and Colchester, watched Essex and England on TV.

Then I realised that my marriage was over and I started chasing after women.....
  • baz

No reason to apologise.

If a topic comes up, and people want to pursue it, the policy is to let it run, even if it might be 'controversial'.

If it goes too far downhill we can always close it, but in this instance i think it allowed people to express their feelings/thoughts, and no bones broken.
  • Baz, agree, the chap should be apologising for being a bit dense, not a racist.
This discussion has been closed.